“Cozy surfer joint”
Review of Latas Surf House

Latas Surf House
Ranked #2 of 8 Somo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 November 2013

If you're looking for a spotless clean and top modern place to stay, Latas might not be the place for you. But if you like a relaxed, cool and cozy atmosphere where you'll meet friendly and helpful staff and guest Latas is the place to be.
There's a very functional communal kitchen where you can cook your own food, bikes to explore the area on, loads of surf gear and a beautiful beach only 5 min walk away.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mariaspipeline

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have stayed in Latas surf house twice now. The place is RAD. The guys running it are super friendly. The rooms are comfy, big and decent price. Breakfast is excellent. I didn't rent a board or anything else but i heard that the lessons were also excellent. Surfing all day, table tennis, bbq's and beer all night. Don't miss out!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tim m
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Wonderful place, nice people and welcoming, great food and lots of surfing!!!!!!!!!
We had a great and will be back soon!!!!!!!!!!
Away from the city, but if you want to surf you have everything you need!
Thanks Latasssss!!!!!!!
See you soon!!!!!!

XOXO

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pennycilcase
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This has been one of my favourite ever holidays... we were picked up at the airport by some really friendly folk, and taken straight to Latas Surf House. We were given a bed in a lovely hotel that was a two minute walk up the road that had an incredible shower and was very clean.

Carlos and his gang really looked after us- the breakfasts and lunches were always really good and filled our hungry bellies post-surf, and the vibe at the surf house was so chilled- a table tennis table arrived whilst we were there, there's an Indoboard, or you could just have a siesta in the sun on one of the recycled surfboard deckchairs. Everyone we met here was really lovely, too, and I have come away with some new friends who I can surf in the UK with.

It was only a short walk down to the beach, and it was great to be able to use the surf boards and wetsuits all day, every day. We mostly had surf lessons from the guys at Errant Surf School (Newquay, UK) who were staying at the same time as us. You can also borrow paddle boards or go skim boarding if there is no surf. There's some lovely coastal walks around the area, too.

Somo is only a 15 minute walk away where there are quite a few bars and restaurants, and from there you can catch the ferry to Santander - we did this one night, and had some fantastic tapas. There's also a really good hotel restaurant on the left hand side of the road as you walk towards Somo, about five minutes from the surf house.

I would really recommend Latas Surf House, you can make it as action packed as you want to and it's full of great people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LucidaJ
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just come back from the best holiday we've had! Such a great atmosphere at Latas Surf house, with chilled out vibe. Carlosregularly seriouslytook care of us and made sure we had a good time. There was a mix up with over booking the surf house so we had to stay in a b+b for a few nights but it was sorted straight away and were leant bikes to cycle back and forth. Only 5 min ride away.
It was my Birthday on the second night and Carlos made a booking for us in a local restaurant ended up being 19 of us and was a great ice breaker good food then on to his cousins bar next door we had the best night and still got up for surfing in the morning!
We even had our own dog for the week! Barry (Carlos dog) followed us down to the beach a few times and even walked himself back when he'd had enough!
To get the ferry from Somo to Santander its only 15-20 min walk from the surf house. Which we can highly recommend we found a great Tapas bar the best tapas ever so much food and the service was second to none. Although watch out for the 0% alcohol beer! We had one each and thought it tasted too nice and found out there was no alcohol in it!
Best thing is that I can now surf! And we met some great people and had some good laughs. The surf house was cleaned very regularly I was surprised to not see many grains of sand in the room so close to the beach! Plenty of equipment readily available and food was cheap and tasty!
Good holiday for anyone who likes a laid back relaxed atmosphere as well as action packed days.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Chess_Dave
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Having stayed at Latas on three occasions now it would be fair to say that i'm a big fan of the place. Whether it be the laid back atmosphere perfect for relaxing and winding down during the day, to the multitude of activities put on by the staff at night that lead to those fond holiday memories that we so happily look back on.

Latas sits in an ideal location with the beach, arguably the best positioned for waves in Northern Spain according to several of the experts, only a short walk away, making it very accessible for both morning lessons and afternoon lounging.
One of the great things that I found about Latas, besides the very welcoming staff, was the availability of the equipment. I had assumed, given the relatively cheap price in comparison to other surfing experiences, especially in the UK, that the lessons would be my limit to surfing. I couldn't have been more wrong however, with Carlos the owner making it very clear that following the morning lessons, everyone was welcome to use any of the surfing equipment (boards, wet suits etc) whenever we wished, leading to some of my most fond memories being made when catching the waves right before sunset!

The dormitory style rooms provide an opportunity for every one to get to know each other right away and are part of the reason why people leave Latas feeling very much as part of a group and often return with some of the people that they originally met.

In conclusion, i'd recommend Latas to all surfers who enjoy a great atmosphere, laid back vibe and consistent waves. The lessons are especially ideal for beginners, as it provides the opportunity to bond with others from around the world as you learn a new skill.

I can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Dormitory rooms offer a great opportunity to meet and bond with lots of new people!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I really enjoyed my week learning to surf staying at Latas Surf House. The staff are really friendly and helpful. They are quite chilled out about things and also want you to have a good time.

We stayed in dormitory type bedrooms with 4 sets of bunk beds which was fine for us. The bathroom was clean yet it seemed past visitors had left all their toiletries in the bath which I wasn't sure if they were for us to use/forgot to clear them out. We were given towels which were clean but it looked like they had seen better days. To be honest we took them to the beach and used our own towels for washing.

Breakfast was good served outside in the garden next to the surf bar. They also sometimes served lunch and dinner, yet it would only be served if they felt like doing it. Most dinner times it would be a barbecue which was very yummy and at a very good price. If dinner wasn't being served you could always go to the Latas House Surf Bar which is part of Surf House's building, yet I think it is run independently (I didn't see any of the staff or instructors go in there) or walk to Somo or Loredo in about 15/20mins.

The main part was the surfing! The surf house is located very near the beach, just a 7 minute walk with your board. Both my friend and I had had a couple of lessons before so we weren't complete beginners. I found they went through the process very quickly on land and for people who hadn't surfed before they might have found it a little difficult. I had a good time and found it lots of fun in the water where they did coach you. Lessons after that day were a bit more thorough on land so overall I would say the teaching was good and by the end of the week we were catching waves and standing up well. After the lessons in the morning you could either head back to surf house for lunch or stay at the beach. Either way after lunch or if you were still at the beach they were pretty chilled about you taking boards and wetsuits to surf by yourself in the afternoon which we preferred because there would be less people in the sea.

One thing I would say that there is not that much going on in the evening so if you are looking for a surf party or bars and clubs this may not quite be the surf spot for you. Somo is a very quiet spanish town surrounded by a lot of countryside so if you are looking for a night out you would have to catch the ferry to Santander and get a taxi back which can we quite pricey.

Overall I had lots of fun staying at Latas Surf House, the surf instructors and the other visitors make you feel very welcome and are extremely friendly and a good laugh

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends