“12 reasons why not to stay @ Flamingo / Frigola Hotel”
Review of Hotel Flamingo

Hotel Flamingo
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in L'Estartit
London, United Kingdom
“12 reasons why not to stay @ Flamingo / Frigola Hotel”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Flamingo Hotel and Frigola Hotel are the same one - don't be fooled.

1. Filthy rooms with dirty walls and shabby furniture. There was sick on the walls and the food smell was very strong from the downstairs restaurant
2. Filthy bathrooms with rusty taps (as pictured)
3. Horrible food! The worse food I have ever had. Breakfast doesn t really exists; it consists of old mouldy bread and the leftovers from the day before
4. We had all inclusive and when asking for drinks from the bar we were not given what we wanted. We were told they don t have what we wanted even though the drinks were displayed in front of our eyes. Furthermore, they serve you the drinks in dirty plastic glasses which is just disgusting
5. The hotel is full of youngster between 16 - 18 years old that party all night and are being sick in the rooms; very noisy until 4am with people running up and down the corridors.
6. If you have any good clothes, leave them home or you will return without them. My jacket had disappeared and couldn t be found.
7. If you have any complaints, forget it: there is nobody you can talk to.
8. The towels in the bathroom had hols in them as pictured
9. There is no TV or hair drier in the room as advertised.
10. Staff very disorganised and they admit that there are only problems with the hotel. Staff barely understands english.
11. There are no toiletries in the bathroom.
12. The bar closes at 9:30 for all inclusive customers but remains open until 00:00 for you to pay for your drinks if you actually want one!

I am surprised that this hotel is running in this state. They should close them down. That place is something from a nightmare. Cancel if you have already booked or you will regret! As one of the other reviewers said, if it s too late to cancel, stay home and you will be better off.

This really put me off Spain and gave me the impression that it is a dirty place with very disorganised people.

We have moved from this hotel to a 4 star hotel that was considerably better, however they did not have the hair drier and the safe in the room as advertised on the website. You had to pay extra to get them. Therefore, I am wondering: do all the hotels in Spain lie about the rooms facilities on their website? How can I go back having peace of mind that what I see on the website will actually be what I get?! Very disappointing

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2011

There has been some inconsistency in the reviews for the Flamingo but my own experience was quite positive. The front desk staff were efficient, friendly, and multilingual. Breakfasts were about average for Spain and clearly designed to accommodate UK as well as Spanish tastes. The room was clean and fairly large and furnished as you would expect in a one-star hotel. Perfectly acceptable. The pool was large enough for adults as well as children to use and the various people who staffed the poolside bar/snack shop were friendly and efficient.

You have to pay extra for internet connection and about the only place it works is in the inside bar. For that reason a lot of people in the bar are there to check their email, not to have a drink, and service was a bit desultory.

L’estartit is pretty small so the hotel is very close to both the beach and the harbour. I wouldn’t say it’s a fabulous location, but it was okay. There were a lot of UK visitors in the hotel, probably because it is on the Siesta bus tour, and I heard Italian, French, and (I think) Russian. I would venture to say this is not where people from Barcelona come to get away from the heat – it’s much more for other Europeans looking for an inexpensive Costa Brava vacation (and for dive enthusiasts). This won’t be to everyone’s tastes and normally wouldn’t have been to mine, but I quite enjoyed my four days there and considered it perfectly acceptable and good value for money.

Room Tip: I'd recommend you ask for a room overlooking the pool. You get a great view of the mountain.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FormerlyBCBoy3
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Came on a coach overnight so great to get into room at 10.30 a.m.! Hotel was in a good position for the beach,town etc,nice garden and small pool to rear,very clean throughout,modern bar area,basic but adequate room. But was lacking on atmosphere .Found the hotel staff not overly friendly and helpful,(each time I had to ask anything at reception felt I was wasting their time)On arrival you are just given your key and its up to you to find out any information e.g meal times etc There was only ever 1 member of staff on the bar who always seemed totally stressed. The selection of food was good but it was always only warm and the dining room experience was similar to a canteen and again didn't find the staff helpful or friendly. Worst part was the dreadful shower in our room,water temperature very hard to regulate -could be scalding or freezing ! the shower curtain was useless which ended up with the floor flooded each time and needing to be mopped up with towels!! Would not go back for a weeks holiday,fine for a couple of nights stopover. p.s make sure you take a hairdryer as they are not provided in the bedrooms!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wiseowl56
Cleator, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2011

after going to estartit for the last 15 years staying on castell montgri and in apartments in town we decided to splash out and stay in the hotel flamingo ,we were not dissapointed the staff are very friendly and helpful , the room was spotless ,the maid came in every day , food was very good with a lot of choice we stayed half board .the reception staff we could not fault , the flamingo is a family run hotel not part of a chain and it shows the rooms were a little tired decoration wise but very clean decent size bathroom with a large shower toilet sink and bidet ,will definately go back again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank cookyliz1962
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We go to this hotel every year since I was 3 years old. We have really got to know the people that own the hotel and also regular guests that also go back every year. This hotel has never had bed bugs (.. !!!!) and the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. Should there be an issue with any of the rooms we have stayed in then we will report to Pedro who works on reception and he will sort the problem out promto! Should they have any issues in dealing with queries then they will tell us straight away. The food is brilliant and just what we want and if we want to eat out then all we have to do is tell reception and they will update our bill. I would really recommend this hotel and don't be put off by the false comments as this hotel is run by a family that are willing and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank Amieewarner
liverpool
Reviewed 7 October 2010

stayed at the flamingo read some reviews before we went on holiday and started to panic
I am very fussy and just cant stay anywhere that is not clean but this hotel is fantastic
if you want a really relaxing holiday close to the beach and some lovely restaurants easy on the pocket then this is the perfect hotel the staff are very helpful and friendly well kept gardens and pool area we arrived early which was not a problem to the staff who made sure we got into the room as soon as possible (within half an hour) nothing was too much trouble we didnt really need to ask the staff for anything because everything we needed was on hand throughout the hotel this hotel should have a higher rating well done flamingo you know your excellent because your customers just keep going back year after year

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank donna123Liverpool
Great Cumbrae, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I was disgusted by the fact that my bedroom was crawling with bed bugs and i had been eaten alive in my bed for 6 weeks of my stay. The hotel staff were terrible and did not make me feel welcome. Miguel on reception was rude, obnoxious and impolite.
The pool was like the local swimming baths, people who lived in the area were allowed to use it and it was dirty. A child did a poo in it and they just fished it out without cleaning it!!
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank foxyjlc
Flamix78, Propietario at Hotel Flamingo, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
First of all, our hotel is protected against all kind of insects as in spain all the hotels must have a special program for this cases, obviusly it's impossible to control all the mosquitos and insects, we would like to avoid that kind of inconveniences to our guests, but all we can do is try to find the quickest solution when something like that happens.
Once we detected the problem in the room ( probably she bring the insects with the towels from the beach- as we didn't have problems on this room before-), we did our best to make her feel comfortable, changing rooms, paying all her holidays ( 3 weeks fullboard). but nothing we did helped to arrange the situation and her rudeness against all the staff and manager increased everyday. Once again we would like to give our sinceres appologies to this unsatisfied guest, we always try to do our best to give an unforgettable holidays to our guests, unfortunately we don't succeed with everybody.
Miquel Basieras