“Great for golf”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Emporda
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gualta
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This hotel overlooks a golf course so, if you play you are already there. We stayed in the winter, very reasonable, excellent room and good food in the restaurant. It is in the middle of nowhere so a car is absolutely vital. Not convenient for Gerona airport, especially if you have an early flight, as it is about an hour away but if you have plenty of time, as we did, then a very economical and comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the golf course. Woken early by the greens being prepared!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Although the room was absolutely fine (large enough, quiet and clean), and the Forest golf course quite beautiful, I am at pains to understand how the kitchen could be allowed to serve meals of such diabolical quality.

We had been promised a Grand Buffet, but instead were each given a plate of very dark brown, rock hard, unidentifiable lumps, which looked like they had been initially cooked in a bygone age and then reheated at periodic intervals.

There seemed to be a disconnect between the hotel and the golf setup.

I would happily play the golf course again, but would no way return to a hotel that treats its paying guests with such utter disdain.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Millox
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed for one night at the hotel and had feared the worst having read the comments in TripAdvisor prior to our stay.

However, we were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very modern and spacious with a functional design. It is set in the grounds of a large golf course -if you don't play, you get the great views and tranquil setting as a bonus.

The room was ample and very well furnished with a large and comfortable bed. We slept extremely well as the room is well sound-proofed.

Breakfast (the only meal we had) was a disappointment -chaotic and with little variety. We arrived 40 minutes before it closed, and several options were unavailable, including eggs and bacon. We also had to wait to sit down, the tables were not cleaned and we ate in a chrous of client complaints.

However, everything else, including the attention to detail of the receptionist, was very good and I recommend this hotel as a good option.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slickricspain
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was staying with friends who have a house in nearby Pals, and booked a beauty treatment at Emporda Golf Resort and Spa with the hotel reception for the following day, leaving a credit card number as guarantee and a phone number to be contacted on if there was a problem.

I assumed as I had not heard that my reservation was fine, and arrived just after 10 for a 1030am appointment. I was told that the spa did not open until 1030am and the man I spoke to called a colleague to inform her that a client was waiting. He inferred I could get undressed and could wait within the spa.So I waited for the appointment in the chairs around the pool. As I sat and waited, i regularly checked the clock on the wall. I got so fed up waiting I went to see the receptionist of the spa who had appeared. It transpired that the hotel reception had not booked the appointment and that whilst I sat waiting all but one appointments had been taken.
I checked my phone which alerted me to the spa clock was incorrect, 24 minutes slow.
Normally as a spa is a place to relax the one thing you don't take is a watch or phone but as i had already missed one appointment I was keen not to miss a second so had to keep going back to my locker to check what time it was.
As I was already there I decided to take the last vacancy and use the spa until my time slot at 1pm. I should have been warned by the lack of poor organisation at that stage but I stuck it out.
and used the facilities until 1230pm.

The facilities were good with the exception the steam room was out of action and the sand in the sauna to keep time didn't work either. The plus point was the pool and assortments of jets for muscle relief in the jacuzzi.

Finally I had my turn nearly 3 hours later- was it worth the wait?
No definitely not. The masseuse is also the person who answers the phone so halfway through the treatment she disappeared to answer a call. The lights in the treatment room are so bright you need to wear sunglasses unlike the rest of the place where it so dark you cant read the magazines that are provided in the rest area.
The spa closes at 1330 until 1530 for lunch so if you fancy a swim or massage after a round of golf in the morning forget it until after 1530.
I found a total lack of professionalism and would strongly advise others to either avoid it or wait hope until it improves. If this had been my first visit to a spa for treatment I don't think I would bother again. Fortunately there are others in the Girona area, including the excellent Hotel Peralada Wine Spa & Golf Club who understand what it takes to run a spa and treatment centre and make the customer wishing to make repeat visits.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jec1011
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Quiet Spain on a busy costa. The hotel is situated between two golf courses but you don't have to play golf to stay here. The staff are friendly and helpful, rooms big with lovely bathrooms and if the beach doesn't do it for you there is a spa. There is so much to see close at hand when based at the Emporda. The beaches situated near the hotel are beautiful. You can choose from long sandy beaches or small beach coves. It's all very Spanish. We have visited this hotel on several occasions and have never been disappointed on our return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the old town of Pals have a nicer view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McNKent
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Emorda is a little over two hours North of Barcelona. Its a Good hotel. Excellent large rooms with good balconies. The restaurant is not great. It's 15 euros for guests to use the pool in the spa area - quite a rip-off if you ask me. The golf is excellent with two very high quality courses right outside the door. Other towns are within ten to twenty minutes drive away. Other courses are at Pals a ten minute drive. If you want golf, this is right up there. If you want more, then there are other far better choices.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank BazNorway
Reviewed 11 September 2008

We spend at least a week in Costa Brava each year, and this time we decided to change hotel as we kept returning to the same hotel each year. It was a very pleasant surprise, the hotel reception staff was very helpful during enquries through email, we made our reservations through email and a phone call. The hotel's interior was lovely, we love the designs and the furnishings. Buffet breakfast was delicious, there is a good range of food, from cereals to all several different types of bread, hams, sausages, eggs, fresh fruits, juices etc. Service was great, with a lovely view. There are 2 18-hole golf courses(forest & links), very well maintained. Restaurant in the clubhouse served a value for money menu (which changes each day), at 17.50 euro excluding tax for a 3 course meal. We enjoyed every meal. The pool was very clean and well maintained. Housekeeping service was good and the staff was friendly and helpful. Highly recommended as we will return next year.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gualta
URH Moli del Mig
Hotel Restaurant Galena Mas Comangau
L'Escala Resort
L'Escala Resort
#5 of 6 in L'Escala

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Emporda? Share your experiences!