“Good One.”

Oliver's Lodge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We went so we could stay local to a Ladies night we were attending.
We were welcomed warmly and show to out room.
Nice room, en.suite with bath, TV with lots of channels, tea and coffee in the room.
I need to turn on the heating when we got in but in these times that's getting to be normal.
When I looked at the menu I didn't want to go out.
It had Asian and English and if it tasted like the breakfast we had the next morning it would have been great.
The breakfast was varied and plentiful.
We enjoyed our stay here and would like to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room five.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Upon arrival we were greeted and escorted to our room. The room was in fairly clean condition – the carpet was new and the bed very comfortable.
The bathroom looked as though it had been tiled in the last 12 months but did need a good dust all over. The shower was appalling.
We decided to eat in the restaurant and were told to book as it was to be fully booked, we never saw it full. It was ok, rather overpriced and no atmosphere at all. We got drinks from the bar which stayed open.
There was an odd smell to the corridor but not noticeable from the room. Breakfast was minimal and the sausage was not hot but it was edible. All of the staff were helpful and carried out their duties diligently.
Overall I would not think it worth the money they charge per room, it was rather like Fawlty Towers and had no atmosphere to it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Having been an AA member since 1984 I have normally been satisfied with the category of hotel but this is definitely not a 3 star hotel although a certificate hangs in the reception booth. There only appears to be about 5 members of staff, the rooms as viewed on the website may look modern and up to date but this does not reflect the space available nor the standard of facilities. The bathroom upgrade which has apparently taken place is basic at the very least and it is obvious that this is a tired and outdated building that is in need of a total refurbishment . The breakfast is the worst we have experienced in over 30 years in a hotel. They can't even cook toast, the mushrooms were tinned and the tomatoe(s) turned out to be a quarter of a tomato! I would not recommend this hotel in any respect.

Room Tip: Unable to recommend
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I only stayed one might, the room I had was in need of a thorough clean top to bottom, the window was filthy as we're the net curtains , the bath rooms tiled wall looked as though it had not been cleaned in a long time, the bedroom carpet need a good vacuume clean, overall it was pretty grim.
The conservatory Resturant was cold and un inviting with a view out on to what I could only describe as a building site with the odd pile of debris around the edges, the food was adequate but nothing special, I would have expected a bit more for £60 a night, £30-40 would have been nearer the mark, even at that price you wouldn't expect it to be filthy.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Unable to verify some of the poor ratings as my son and I have a lovely over night stop on a mini cycling tour.

The only downside was the small cooked breakfast - plenty for a child, but not for a adult and could have been a little hotter.

Value for money? At £69 for a clean comfy twin room, yes

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2012

A lovely over night stay on a weekend cycling tour with 10 yo son.

Room was lovely and clean (no signs of any cobwebs) and staff were polite.

Was concerned with the number of people in the bar, but couldn't hear them in the room.

Food was lovely and plentiful. Can't really comment on the negative reviews as we didn't have any of the same concerns.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Staff very good and polite,I had a single bedroom,plenty of room,comfortable bed.The wash basin was blocked,that was a little inconvenient,I reported that when I left.The breakfast was very good.Tea and coffee making facilities,plus bottled water.

Room Tip: My room was quiet,no outside noise,just a few doors banging inside.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Been to Oliver's Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!