Before assuming that I am just a miserable bad customer, please look at my other reviews for hotels and restaurants which are on the whole extremely positive. We stay in a variety of places and feel that our comments below are justified.
Unfortunately, we didn’t have a very enjoyable stay in this hotel at all. The day before we were due to arrive I had a voicemail saying that there was “technical fault” and they didn’t have a double for us was would we be ok with a single or twin. I called them back when I could a few hours later and they said the problem had been dealt with and the room was all ok as it was just a problem with plumbing. Why hadn’t they bothered to call me to tell me this and leave me to call them back? You would think after this, they would ensure our room was in good shape.
During our stay there were many things wrong with our room;
1) The carpets were horribly stained, filthy and very well worn
2) There was no lock on the bathroom door and there had quite clearly been before
3) The bedroom door was broken and took real shoulder shoving to open – even the man who took us to the room struggled
4) The pillows had stains on them and there was only three pillows and none in the cupboard
5) We woke up each morning with very bad backs and covered in bites on our legs and arms
6) The shower took 10 mins to warm up and the power was pathetic – very difficult to wash hair well.
7) The TV barely worked and the remote was filthy
8) There were receipts and plastic in the radiator, biscuit packets under the bed and loose maltesears and sweets packets behind the bedside table.
9) Bedside lamp didn’t work – probably because it is covered in filth and dust!
10) There was no guest information in the room whatsoever – no map of town, time of check out, no phone or reception number, no time for breakfast etc.
11) Mirrors although pretty are entirely unusable and unstable.
12) There was only one toilet roll provided – even after our room was “cleaned” on second morning and we were clearly down to the last few sheets it was not replaced.
13) The fan in the bathroom (which went on every time you went in or had the light on) is deafening and you could hear the fans in the other rooms too.
14) Very bad night sleeps – could hear doors banging, neighbours chatting or coughing, engines running outside in the early mornings (vans delivering to the hotel!) constant traffic on road
15) breakfast tasted like tinned food – mushrooms etc.
16) Overall poor decor – holes in walls and bad finishes
17) There was one tiny main room light but couldn't have curtains open as overlooked
18) No wifi?
Something that is key in the hotel business is customer service and this hotel massively lacked this. We found ourselves feeling stupid and a hassle. At breakfast on the first morning we felt very neglected and ignored. It was quite clear we didn’t know whether we were to sit or wait and waited at the stand by the door as we could see the waitress coming. The waitress walked past us four times ignoring us despite us trying to get her attention. We sat ourselves in the end (on the last day – we had a very attentive waitress). The man on reception when we arrived also didn’t really explain anything fully – just made us fill in details and make us follow him. He didn’t really welcome us at all. (The man on check out was very nice!)
There is a reason this place was the last place with spaces when we booked late. It is laughable that this hotel was REDUCED to £75. The price of this place is no more than £50 a night. And if was priced at this we wouldn’t have stayed as we would have expected all of the above for that price!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offering value and comfort a warm welcome awaits at Oliver's Lodge, travelling on business or pleasure our recently redecorated accommodation in St Ives, Cambridgeshire is designed to ensure you start your next day relaxed, rejuvenated and ready to enjoy the region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Expedia, Odigeo and Ebookers so you can book your Oliver's Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oliver`s Hotel St. Ives
- Olivers Hotel St Ives
- Oliver's Lodge Hotel St Ives, Cambridgeshire