“dolphin”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St Ives
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“dolphin”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Set in a beautiful location . Set on the river . With superb views . Staff were very obliging and helpful. Our room was looking straight onto the river with barges and boats moored outside of our balcony. The room was large and spacious and very clean . Although they put us in a disabled room so the facilities in the bedroom and bathroom were a little low for us . There were plenty of grab rails . Although if we were disabled I don't know how they would manage to get in the bath . We asked for 2 easy chairs and they were provided . The food was superb . As were the waitng staff . Breakfast was hot and well cooked and tasty . It was a massive plateful and we only had part of the full english . Plenty of choice of cereals fruit etc.we would definitely stay again if in the area.the bed was uncomfortable and could do with the matress changing that eas my only downside.

Room Tip: One that looks onto river
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
March, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

It has been a very long time since I've been to the Dolphin. When it was suggested going there for Sunday lunch, I wasn't sure. We arrived and the promised wheelchair, that had been requested at the time of booking, was ready and waiting. We were shown to our table which looked out over the river and the very picturesque St. Ives bridge.

Drinks and starters were ordered. Both arrived in a timely fashion. I chose the mushroom dish. Without a doubt it was delicious, but very filling and I think the next time I go (yes, there will definitely be a next time)' I shall skip the starter or ensure I order something lighter.

The mains are self serve buffet style. The Chef cuts and serves the meat. You can have one type of meat or some of each. Vegetables and potatoes etc. were all self serve. No complaints from any of our party.

Desserts are served to you from a dessert display area - again portions are big. Nicely, coffee and mints are also included in the lunch price.

The restaurant area is large but the hotel has very sensibly not crammed the tables too close together. Wait staff were friendly and helpful especially in dealing with the wheelchair again when we were leaving.

We had a good visit but as with most reviews this is only a snapshot in time. I hope your visit will be as enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Had an excellent afternoon at The Dolphin on Mothers Day. We were a party of 7 adults and 3 children We were greeted at the door and mums were given a lovely orchid when we sat down. Service was first class and the carvery was lovely. Meat was cooked to perfection -no pork - must have been in a diferent room to Paul D as we had beef gammon and turkey.
Sweets were fine for us.
Will be returning as we could not fault it and have recomended to lots of friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My family and I visited the Dolphin Hotel for our Mother's Day lunch, and was so pleased it was everything we'd been told about by friends. The meat was beautifully cooked with a lovely selection of fresh vegetables. The staff were very friendly and catered to our needs. And the peach cheesecake off the very tempting sweet table was a perfect way to finish our meal, and a lovely touch of an orchid for all the mums made it extra nice. My family and I will definitely be returning as they do a Sunday carvery every week,and very reasonable prices. And the setting is beautiful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

A large family party had a carvery dinner for mothering sunday. Nice round table by the window then it got worse, the waitresses had not a clue about the menu and service was deplorable, starters were ok. The main carvery the pork overcooked,Turkey was dry and the less said about the beef the better. Sweets were ok but bought in. For £22 was poor value, ok the mothers all got an Orchid wow

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul D

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Visiting "The Dolphin" at St Ives (near Huntingdon) with about 60-70 fellows of our association, was a great success. The staff made our visit a real pleasure and looked after us very well. Plenty of areas to sit, relax or talk even outside on the terrace next to the River Ouse and the bridge. Food was well presented, hot and enjoyable. The bar was well stocked with many beers and wines on offer. Although we didn't stay there, the impressions for those who do, are very good. We shall return!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Corsham, England
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I hadn't stayed at The Dolphin before, and when away on business, I usually stay in the big chains, Holiday Inn, Radisson, etc.

The Dolphin is an independent hotel. It has huge amounts of good parking, and spaces for people with disabilities are close to Reception.

I was greeted by Dee, upon arrival, she has a great personality and was very helpful. People like Dee are what 'hospitality' should be about, and she set the tone for my one night stay.

As mentioned elsewhere, the rooms are a little tired, but mine was a huge room, was clean and functional. So good to have a bath AND a shower available.

The restaurant and bar area were of a good standard, and I ate breakfast here. The restaurant looks out onto a beautiful terrace and the river Great Ouse.

St Ives has a good selection of restaurants for evening meals, if you fancy a short walk out.

Checkout was smooth and easy, and I would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel.

In summary, the rooms are a little tired, but everything else about the hotel outweighs this.

I would return.

#1 of 1 in Boxworth
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The Dolphin? Share your experiences!