“Excellent meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St Ives
Cambridge
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were frequent users of this Hotel in the past, but it became rather tired. Returning again, surprise, we find it has been extensively revamped with an attractive redesign of all the interior. Excellent lunch taken there and we will return again. Staff very friendly and talking to them it appears it is a place they like working in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent lunch at Slepe Hall Hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and indeed your lunch and that the return visit to the hotel was a welcome surprise.

We have as you say made a major investment in the hotel over the last 12 months and will continue to do so over the coming months.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

A few friends and I went to Slepe Hall a couple of weeks ago and had an absolutely fantastic meal! The service was brilliant and we couldn't have had a better time!

All staff were extremely helpful & attentive to our needs! We would 100% recommend drinking/ dining at Slepe Hall, whether you are local or travelling to the Hotel, you won't regret it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for the positive feedback following your recent visit to the hotel, I am very pleased that you enjoyed the experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon where you will be able to eat outside on the terrace very soon! (Once the warm weather arrives!!)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We booked for 8 people (several quite elderly) for New Years Eve. It was advertised as a buffet with eatting times of 8 or 9 pm. We choose 8 as our elderly parents eat early and our children were going into town afterwards.

To summarise:

kept waiting for half an hour at the bar as the bar staff were unable to take the money for a bottle of wine. Staff told me that they had the two least experienced staff on the bar which does not make a good first impression.

The starter was served your table and then they started calling tables to visit the buffet. We were sitting right next to the buffet but they called tables from the far end of the hall first- mainly couples and small parties. We didn't get to the buffet until about 9.30 by which time we have watched people leaving with their plates piled high but we didn't have the choice of lamb as this had run out and apparently the beef are too rare for most people and by this time we were being served the food to you and my husband ended up with 1 slice of beef, two potatoes and a few vegetables for £60! The next and last table to us fared even worse as they served them what looked like scraps of ham from the kitchen! They did serve everybody a glass of Proseco at midnight which hadn't been included in the cost.

I emailed the hotel in early January regarding our disappointment with the evening. After not getting a reply within a week I emailed again stating that I was waiting for their response before posting on Tripadviser. Interestingly enough this got a response.

The manager left a message on my answerphone stating that he had been trying to contact me (he hadn't!) and he would call me back in a few days time. When I eventually spoke to him he was full of excuses and an apology 'the chefs last day, his idea to do the buffet, just got the hotel and re-training staff etc etc etc'. He offered us a complimentary 3 course meal for 8 which we decided to give them another chance.

I emailed him towards the end of January with a date in March for 8 people (in fact the weekend of my daughters 21st birthday). He emailed me back starting he wasn't sure he could do that date.......... eventually he emailed me back and said that the date was available.

The week before I emailed to confirm the reservation. No response. On turning up at the hotel on time, the receptionist told us they didn't have a booking in our name and after saying the reservation was made with the manager, the assistant manager? asked us to take a seat in the bar. This was embarrassing to say the least in front of our guests.

We sat in the bar and were handed menus and a waitress came to take our order. My mother who was sat in the middle of the group gave her order and as I wanted the same thing I said make that two of those. The waitress replied that she wouldn't remember who'd order what so could we please start at one end of the table and work around! I can't remember exactly how long we waited in the bar but I'm sure we didn't sit down to eat until after 2.00pm. The meal itself was ok and the service was ok (not brilliant considering we were returning disgruntled customers). On paying for our drinks the assistant manager again apologised for New Years Eve.

I can't put my finger on what's wrong with this hotel/restaurant. Staff training is definitely an issue - a lot of the staff seem to be very young and therefore cheap? - may be they are understaffed? and that's why timings are an issue? I don't know but I wouldn't go along unless a long wait and mediocre food doesn't detract from your enjoyment.

The surroundings are nice but the service and food don't live up to the décor!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

We did discuss the issues with New Year's Eve previously, and as explained, it was our first New Year's Eve at the hotel and we had tried a buffet upon recommendation from our Head Chef, who did indeed leave on New Year's Eve last year. As I confirmed to you in January, we have already taken decisions to change the way New Year's Eve 2014 will be and we will be serving a plated meal to each guest ensuring the portion size is as it should be and that there is no risk of people not being able to enjoy their dish of choice.

The buffet was welcomed and enjoyed by many, however I appreciate your comments that as a family with elderly guests, that you hadn't enjoyed the experience as much as you had wished.

My hesitation over whether we could accommodate you on your return visit was because I was aware that I would be away from the hotel at the time you wished to come due to a period of paternity leave, and I was further aware that the hotel was busy on the day you had selected with some other larger bookings in the restaurant. When your email came through to my private email address a week before you came, I was actually away from the hotel on my leave.

I did only agree to this date for you as it was your daughters 21st birthday and didn't want you to feel that I was being awkward by saying that you couldn't come. You had previously said that as a family it is difficult for you to all get together and finding another date for you all to come may have been difficult.
Bookings generally go through the hotel main email, however I understand that this was being dealt with by me personally hence you contacting me directly. I can only apologise for the booking not being made into the diary correctly.

Looking at your email, I notice that you had indeed booked for 1.30pm, and our standard practice is to offer people to take a drink in the bar area whilst looking at a menu before their meal. We are generally not in the practice of rushing people over a family lunch, particularly a celebration lunch.

All of our meals are cooked to order and there would normally be a small wait from time of ordering to being sat at the table for your meal. Generally from the time everybody gathers, gets drinks, makes decisions and then the food is prepared, this could take about 30 minutes on what was a busy service and I am sorry that you feel this was exceptional.

On reflection I shouldn't have taken your booking for lunch that day as we were already very busy, but as I say I didn't want to appear awkward to you as you had commented on how difficult getting together was.

Having spoken with the assistant manager she advises me that when asked if you had enjoyed your meal, she tells me that you said how lovely it had been, this some what differs from the now "ok" lunch, and that you continued to leave a staff gratuity of £25 Somewhat bemused?

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this return visit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I use your hotel frequently for both the restaurant and the hotel. Always receive excellent service plus you are always able to accommodate where possible even at last at the last minute.

Would definitely use you again and again.

• Stayed February 2014
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the kind words regarding you regular use of the hotel.

I am pleased that you continue to return for a variety of occasions and look forward to welcoming you back many more times in the coming weeks and months
St Ives, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

When we checked in at 9 pm our room was cold despite the heating being on, the room was dirty.
Next morning after experiencing noisy children in the corridor until midnight we experienced a hardly warm cooked breakfast in a cold conservatory.

Room Tip: not able to
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank D H
JPW232, General Manager at Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us last weekend.

I am disappointed to hear that the room was cold when you arrived, the hotel heating was certainly switched on, however the individual radiator thermostat had been switch down quite low. I have spoken with my housekeeper who advises me that she had checked all rooms before arrival. Perhaps you could contact me personally to let me have some more detailed feedback in order that we may rectify any issues moving forward.

The hotel did have a lot of children staying over the weekend with families attending family parties at the hotel. I had asked the parents on several occasions to ask their children to keep the noise levels down and apologise on their behalf that they had not done this.

We do cook all of our Breakfasts to order so am concerned that you say the breakfast was hardly warm. We would certainly have corrected this for you had you mentioned it on the morning.

Once again apologies.
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I went here Saturday after a busy day at work was looking forward to a sit down meal at 7, service took forever, there is no communication between waitresses, our starters came at 8 and was luke warm, let that one slide when everyone else got there main I didn't, like many people I was having a beef burger and they said there had been a mix up, by the time my main arrived everyone else had finished, they said it was on the house but by 9pm I had pretty much gone off the idea of good, beef burger was a little hard going, chips were quite dry and salty, all in all I was a little disappointed.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your comments following your visit to the restaurant on Saturday evening.

I am sorry for the mix up and confusion with your order and therefore the delay in getting the extra dish to you. We do normally ask larger parties like yours to pre order the meals in advance to ensure there is sufficient stock availability of all dishes and I do recall that we had asked your party to do this however you have had a preference not to.

I have spoken with the restaurant team from Saturday evening, who were taken short on the evening in question as the manager had to rush off to deal with a family issue (Children in hospital). The supervisor did say that there had been a mix up with the order which had left the order short by one burger. Obviously as we make and cook everything to order this took some time to arrange for the new burger to be prepared.

Please rest assured that this is not our normal practice and that the team were under additional pressure. I have tried to contact you directly to offer my apologies.

I hope that you will give us another chance to prove that this was a one off and would be pleased to welcome you to the hotel and restaurant again soon.
cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Had a wonderful meal last night in the Ramsey's brasserie , this was the first time I have eaten here and it certainly won't be the last! The service was excellent, staff were attentive and pleasant ,would highly recommend eating here,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hotel Felix
Hotel Felix
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews

Been to Slepe Hall Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!