“Relaxed weekend with fantastic breakfasts”
Review of Wringford Cottages

Wringford Cottages
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I had a very enjoyable stay at Wringford down for the gloriously sunny bank holiday weekend in August. Four of us stayed in one of the onsite caravans, it was fully equipped, clean and well functioning. However you need to know who you are staying with well, as caravans do not have thick walls! The views were outstanding and it was a pleasure to open the curtains every morning. We went over to the B&B each morning for fantastic breakfasts which were made by the owner Mr Molloy. He was very obliging to put up with personalised breakfast requests. We made full use of the pool and lounged around in the gardens whilst being gently entertained by the family, dogs and ducks!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank LdnOxAnn

Reviewed 27 August 2010

Have just come back from a five night break at Wringford Down. Our family suite was perfect in size for myself, husband and two teenagers. The suite was clean and had everything we needed. An amazing English breakfast really set us all up for the day. The owners, the Molloys, were very helpful and had a wealth of local knowledge. The beech is a lovely 5 minute walk away and was charming and typically Cornish and unspoilt. Loads to do without having to travel too far. The Eden project was amazing. Have already decided we will be reruning for the New Year

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ELeicester
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Basically I paid £300 for a three night stay at a B&B (double room) with a cotbed as this place was described as a family friendly hotel with a swimming pool and tennis courts.

The room was okay but had stained walls, a broken window, no decent view, poor products, no hair dryer, poor/non existent room service, a rickety stool which my son fell off and ended up with cut face. The freeview box kept waking me up in the night with flashing lights.

The swimming pool was warm but the bottom was dirty and all the buoyancy aids were horrible and the roof leaked when it rained and there were garden snails inside the pool shed and it needed painting. The tennis courts were covered in childrens ride on toys which sounds great but the wire fencing was falling down so therefore dangerous to a four year to go near.

The one pony enclosure had high nettles which needed strimming so the pony area looked very forlorn indeed. It was all shabby and sad.

NO WAY would I leave my child in the nursery.

Also the owner made my son cry when he when in a room only designated for adults, although we didn't realise it as it had a billiards table in it so thought it safe for him to go there and a great deal is made about the place being family friendly. Odd because he doesn't usually cry when told off by random others - I didn't hear what /how she told him off though.

I asked for £80 off as the place was so horrible but the owners (a husband and wife) ganged up and basically barred my way out of the hotel until I paid up, stating that "This is cornwall" so what did I expect...I told them exactly what I expected but then they became quite horrible. They said that "You obviously haven't stayed in many places if you think this is bad, we have some really happy guests" and when I said that I have stayed in lots of places, they said "where?" I said London, wales, scotland, the north, france. But Mrs. Molloy said (again) well this is cornwall,Wales is cheap.

When I said about the place needing painting she said it's an old house, you should expect paint peeling.

When I said about the stool being rickety she said that I should have checked all furniture before my son sits on it...WTF??? I was there alone with my son and the place had no mobile reception so I caved in and paid the £300 but feel really ripped off ...

The owners have moved to cornwall for the "laidback lifestyle". They have no concept of customer service and the place is too big for them to manage properly. The way they deal with a complaint is to resort to personal attacks, they said that I was the "nastiest person ever to have visited". But I am am not nasty. Nasty is Mrs. Molloy saying "I hope you and your son have a safe journey" in a menacingly sarcastic way which implied that she hoped that we crashed on the way home. If this is how cornwall is they I would advise any family to go anywhere else in the country. .

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
33  Thank MrsNisbett
AKMCornwall, Owner at Wringford Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

I’m going to spend a bit of time on this one as it feels particularly unfair.
This woman originally booked 3 nights B&B in a king-size room with her husband & young son. We quoted her a good price (£300) which meant that the child was free. She phoned us before arrival to tell us that her husband might not be able to make it & we offered to move her into a standard twin room & charge her less, but she insisted that she wanted the king size room.
They turned up, ate their breakfasts, went to their wedding & slept in their room without a murmour of complaint until it came to check out time, at which point we were told that she wanted a discount because only her and her son had stayed, & that unless we reduced the price she would write a terrible review!
I thought it might be interesting to have a look at the scores this lady gave:
Value 1? £300 for 3 nights B&B in an en-suite king size room in Cornwall in the middle of August. I’ve checked & she couldn’t even have got a small self-catering caravan for that!
Rooms 1? The room she had is the largest I have seen in a hotel or B&B at 33 sqm with another 12 sqm in the bathroom which has luxury fittings and a separate shower. The room has a sitting area with a 3 seater settee & a reclining/rocking armchair, full size TV with freeview, etc. The room is actually the first one shown on our web site under accommodation. It is decorated & furnished well above 3 star guest accommodation standard, & has a total of 8 windows facing South, East & West, one of which is indeed a little difficult to open (a job for the winter).
Location 1? An area of outstanding natural beauty (aonb) with no caravan or camp sites, just beautiful countryside and lovely villages?
Cleanliness 1? Commented on by many as excellent, including our quality inspectors?
Service 1? Our staff are all relaxed, friendly and cheerful, as you’d expect in Cornwall. I think the comment relates to an instance where the lady was in the bath & turned down service.
Sleep quality 1? This room has the best bed I have ever slept in, something that all guests that have commented have concurred with. Maybe the peace & quiet was an issue?
And now to address a few specific points:
The stool is a standard (& new) dressing table stool which is certainly not suitable for a young child to be allowed to climb on.
The pool is cleaned every morning and the chemical balance checked & adjusted every night.
During the first week of August a guest crashed through a 5 bar gate and into the tennis court partially knocking down the fence. This has been made safe until a permanent repair can be effected, but at the moment it doesn’t look wonderful.
We have 3 miniature Shetlands that have about 4 acres of grounds to themselves. Every year we pull & burn the ragwort & thistles from the pony fields. Due to illness it happened a little late this year, but is now complete.
The comment about the nursery is particularly unfair, as the lady has not been into the nursery or met any of the staff. In actual fact it is one of the best nursery schools around, has a very good OFSTED report, & is probably one of the few nurseries in the country to boast 2 fully qualified early years professionals (post graduate qualification now required in all nurseries by 2012).

Reviewed 11 April 2010

We've been staying here for the last five years and will return. The hotel is family run and is very friendly and relaxed. It is highly recommended with children - ours were 2 and 5 when we first went, and we found it a pleasure to stay there as they are so good with kids. The food is lovely with choices for the younger ones, and service is great. There is plenty to entertain the kids- playroom, playbarn, play areas, swimming pool, gardens - and of course other kids! It is very safe, and the area is beautiful, and it is a lovely walk down to the beach at Cawsand ( easy to park down there too) where a ferry runs to the Barbican in Plymouth from Easter for the season. It always feels like you're really getting away from it all and relaxing - and that's with the kids there too! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank CAW-Bristol
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Most hotels describing themselves as 'family friendly' just mean that they provide highchairs; Wringford Down REALLY means it. It's super comfy, there's loads for the kids to do (including a swimming pool, tennis court, table tennis, the run of the on-site nursery's facilities and animals to feed) and, most importantly, not long into your stay your kids will be roaming free in a great laughing gang with all the other guests' kids, older ones looking after little ones, as you recover after one of the enormous breakfasts or sip a glass of wine at the end of supper. It's in a beautiful spot just a short walk from two beaches. Oh, and they do provide highchairs, milk warming, baby listening, games, videos and children's teas and activities etc. You can even book swimming, art and guitar lessons. We've just got back from our fifth Easter visit and we were planning next year's trip on the way home!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank KMDLondon
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We chose Wringford Down because it was near to a friend's wedding. We couldn't have been made more welcome. The room was very large, and comfortable, with everything we needed. Breakfast was excellent, and served with a smile. The location is superb, and we would have liked to stay longer just to see more of the local area, and the farm animals.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank triumphowner_10
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Was looking forward to staying in a quaint little B&B with fantastic views over the little harbour, as shown on their listing page.

Wrong!!.....it's in the middle of nowhere and I don't know how high above the ground you would need to be to see the view they show.

The combination of that, the fact that it's a good walk from anywhere, the scrap car in the car park and the long walk down a muddy lane from the car park to the reception made me decide to find somwhere else.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
12  Thank mike_tittle
AKMCornwall, Owner at Wringford Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2010

This one has got us totally bemused.
The guy was a businessman who booked a one night stay for one person through laterooms just the day before arrival.
He had booked a standard double, but we have a policy of upgrading people to the best room available, & we had upgraded him to our 4 poster king-size as no-one was in it that night. Ironically this has views across Cawsand Bay very much like the one he was looking for!
He arrived late afternoon, but didn’t even get out of his car, i.e. he hasn’t stayed here or seen anything except our driveway.
Wringford is exactly as described on laterooms, where it clearly states in the opening paragraph that the local villages of Kingsand & Cawsand are a 10 minute walk, through I might add an area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB).
The photo referred to is of Cawsand Bay taken from the footpath that runs from Wringford down to Cawsand. If he had got out of his car he would have seen the view, albeit a cold, wet, February version of it.
The short walk from the car park to the front door (75 paces, I just checked) is part block paved, part tarmac & not muddy at all?
The “scrap” car mentioned is my 1973 classic Triumph Stag (for sale if anyone is interested).

Been to Wringford Cottages? Share your experiences!