“excellent”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Canvey Island
Essex
“excellent”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We got married at this hotel, both the ceremony and the reception. We had the most wonderful day. We stayed in the Bridal Suite and many of our guests had rooms. The rooms are lovely and clean and some rooms have lovely views across the lake. The staff are friendly and helpful. None of our guests had a bad word to say about this hotel and one said he couldn;t fault it. Breakfast was delicious, cereal, juice, tea, coffee, toast and a full englsh. When I've sadly read some of the not so good reviews I can't help but wonder what in the hell people expect. This hotel is clean, friendly, good location, good food, lovely rooms. Try it for yourself and don't listen to those who probably moan about most things in life!!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with children, ask for a room away from the function suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Orwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having come down to Canvey Island to work I thought a week on the Island might be a good idea as have been staying in the surrounding area. There are few options to be honest but The Oysterfleet appeared to be my best option. Located just off the town centre it is idealy situated for local shops, restaurants and take aways, there aren't many bars nearby but that's not a problem as there is a well stocked public bar attached. Prices are accepatable and the staff are friendly, whilst I didn't dine there it seems popular and I never heard any complaints.

My room was quite large as double rooms go and very clean, the corridors have a strange foisty smell but fortunately this doesn't carry into the rooms, I was pre-warned that the noise did carry from room to room and they were right, you could hear every cough, tap or toilet flush from what seemed every nearby room. Then around 5:00am I started to hear the traffic so basically not for light sleepers but value for money on all other aspects.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dave B
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Stayed here 1 night , never been asked to pay before we have even looked at the room , was given the tv remote and key, was asked if we would like breakfast , I asked if we could just order in the morning if we wanted it. No was our answer , I asked why , I was told staffing , we have to get more staff in . The room was roomy , tv was small , toilet roll holder broken and ceiling extractor fan slightly hanging down, when checking out the receptionist was outside the reception entrance Smoking , I waited at the desk thinking she might return, but her cigarette was her preference. I left the key and tv remote on the counter and left , Would I stay here again , yes is the answer because it was clean , and I don't believe there is another hotel on the island.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whu2k66
Portsmouth
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 2 young children. When booking our room the hotel failed to tell us that a function was on that night and our family room was directly above. The children were kept awake all night and we hardly got any sleep. The staff were very unhelpful. The room was a good size but the bathroom was revolting. Our 2 year old daughter got covered in black mildew when in the shower. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank m_hawkins76

Travellers are raving about these Canvey Island hotels

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I'm afraid that this isn't about the hotel as such, since I live locally and have never stayed there. However, in spite of the comments I have to praise this venue, as we held my father's wake there, and I have nothing but praise for the food and the service. There were 27 of us, and we had the £9.95 2 course and glass of wine offer. All the dishes came up freshly cooked and hot. The 'Surf 'n' Turf' ordered by quite a few people, I am told was delicious and the steak properly cooked and tender. Everyone was very happy with their selection.

The staff were lovely, cheerful and nothing was too much trouble for them.

We had been placed in the new conservatory and it was ours from 11.00 am until about 3.30 pm.

I have no complaints whatever, only praise for everyone concerned - even the reception staff when we booked the event were friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nannienorms
Enfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

You have to pay on arrival and are then given the TV remote! The room was large but pretty bare with a tiny flat screen TV high up on the wall, only one chair and a small double bed. Breakfast was extra but wish we hadn't bothered, it was dried up and completely unappetizing!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tyto2820
essex
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Booked for a family of five for Christmas dinner at 49.99 per head plus a 10 percent service charge on top which I thought was quite reasonable for Christmas Day.
The lakeside suite is where we we're seated which was very nice and decorated very festively and the staff was very welcoming. But then the fun began, who ever laid the tables out thought it would be a great idea to put out blowing trumpets and flying balloons so you can imagine the noise through out the whole meal with every child blowing as loud as possible and letting off flying balloons which kept landing in our dinner. Many atime we had people coming over to retrieve balloons from our table. I understand the restaurant has to cater for all but this time I believe it was catered for a kids party. We actually left before the end of the meal as you couldn't even hold a conversation through the noise the staffs heads must have been banging at the end if service. I wrote to the manager to view my option and heard nothing from him until I wrote another further 2 times and in the end phoned the restaurant.
He returned my email 2 weeks later offering myself and husband a free Wednesday night cavery of which I declined and also reminded him that we were a family of five, I suggested that at least the 10 percent service charge could be refunded. 6 weeks later have still not had a response back

• Stayed December 2012
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to The Oysterfleet Hotel? Share your experiences!