“Disappointing”

The Oysterfleet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Canvey Island
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It's very noisy, every time someone went into their bathroom the fan would come on with the light and was extremely noisy. The hotel feels like it's made out of cardboard. We hardly got any sleep due to the very Thin walls and had a couple next door who were BOTH snoring quite loudly and kept us awake ALL night. The bed was only a 4ft bed which is rather small for a hotel and was far too soft, you daren't move for fear of falling off the mattress. The decor was very dated and the tv far too small. This hotel needs a big make over.
Won't stay here again.
Breakfast was ok but nothing special

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissLaraCroft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visited as a family and booked 2 rooms. The check-in process worryingly involved having our credit card number, expiry date and security code writen down in a diary. The rooms were very old, the bed so soft you were in danger of falling at the smallest of movement. The bathroom was again very dated and in serious need of repairs. Breakfast however was amazing and the ladies looking after us for breakfast were very friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Norfolk
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The first time I came here (last year) it was very noisy first thing in the morning (some sort of machine started up around 5.30am) but this time my overnight stay was much more enjoyable. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful (including when I booked over the phone and when I arrived). All right, it's not the Ritz but I found the room clean and comfortable, and as I was visiting grandchildren nearby, it suited my purposes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank hoolihound
Shirley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

This is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world. Upon our arrival we was greeted at reception by a man who looked and sounded like he was drunk. It had little interest in us, our stay or anything. I just stood there thinking, wow this guy hates his job. Anyway enough about him. The corridor to our room looked cheap and shabby as did the room. It looks like it hasn't been touched since the 80's. There was a hole in the bathroom door and the shaver light diffuser was held on with electrical tape! The bed was hard and to have a 4ft double bed in a hotel is poor. We had friends staying in other rooms and they also had a hole in the bathroom door! Im glad we was only staying the one night. I would never come back to this hotel again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ronnie E

Travellers are raving about these Canvey Island hotels

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I just finished the best meal I've had for a long time thanks it was lovely and the waitresses were so nice. I won this meal as a prize in a raffle and didn't expect much. I'm really impressed with the oyster fleet and will be back ASAP thankyou very much.

• Stayed March 2014
dagenham
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed at hotel on 3 previous occasions first time was no problems second time fire alarm kept going off all night was told it was a guest from the wedding being held there....Had no sleep and my daughter had a 12 hour day dancing with no sleep....Not offered a refund even though I complained and asked for one....the 3rd occasion lovely room again must say cant fault the rooms but the staff were rude and could never be found...reception constantly unattended and decided to eat in restaurant this time....Big mistake meal took 2 1/2 hours from start to finish....waited 50 mins for starter and when main meal came out chicken not cooked and had to go back......Am coming back again this year for the 4th year but will only be staying in room will not be eating in restaurant which is a shame ......would also like to make the owner aware that when a customer rings to book a room it would be great to not have a answer phone reply to a call and when I did finally get to talk to a receptionist I was told she would have to take my name and number and get back to me within the hour as she didn't have time to take booking....waited 2 days for a phone call back which never came....I rung back and booked 2 days later.....The only reason I return is the rooms are fabulous.....The hotel is clean and tidy....Bar staff are great....It is 5 min walk to where my daughter .......Need to improve customer service as there should always be someone on reception to take a booking and sort out any problems......

Room Tip: Book the outside rooms as the main hotel is noisey of a weekend with the function room being in the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank amber2705
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The people at the oyster fleet hotel are extremely welcoming and polite, room is basic but you have everything you need in there so thats really good too, the lady who served our breakfast(Valerie) was really accommodating and made sure we were okay. Also the breakfast room is bright with a fantastic view of the river and wildlife. The price is good for what you get really although it would be nice if the breakfast cost was in with the price. Overall i couldn't ask for a more calm welcoming location to stay in.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Rhys-connor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canvey Island
Endeavour Hotel
Endeavour Hotel
#2 of 2 in Canvey Island
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#1 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hot...
#8 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to The Oysterfleet Hotel? Share your experiences!