“Excellent find (if you have a small car!)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Endeavour Hotel
Endeavour Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Canvey Island
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Excellent find (if you have a small car!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Excellent value for money; hotel was actually more a converted large house in a very residential street, so somewhat out of place there. Not obvious where it is at first glance, but the sat nav (TomTom) brought you straight to the door with the house number punched in (196). There is parking in the fairly narrow street, but surprisingly there is a large car park at the back of the property - accessed through a very narrow passageway. Quite easy on the way in, more of a challenge on the way out!

Good welcome when I arrived; room was upgraded for me and well equipped - free wifi, excellent flat screen TV with sleep/wake /off time functions. Heat was on (a bit too much, actually) but easily turned down. Bathroom with the basics and a good selections of towels. Plenty of tea/coffee sachets, too. Excellent and speedy breakfast - I had a very early appointment. Certainly to be recommended, and far better than many other places I have stayed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jon007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Excellent value for money, clean and comfortable.
The hosts John and Julie were incredibly friendly and helpful.
A gorgeous breakfast in the morning.
We were pleasantly surprised by the large carpark to the rear, though it was a bit nervewracking getting there through the narrow driveway!
Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine N
Ash Vale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Came to see Dr Feelgood in their ancestral home in Canvey Island for the LB Memorial gig. Very handily located for that - about 10 mins walk away from the Oysterfleet. Very friendly owners who were very welcoming. The room was very clean and breakfast was very good too. The room was fairly small and basic, but perfectly OK. Given the very reasonable price, I think that this hotel is excellent value. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Well not very good at all! I know the price is cheap but it really is like stopping in the 60s! Im really not a fussy person but this hotel is dreadful and will defo be stopping in a travel lodge up the road next time! If you like blue tiled walls and floors you will love it here....

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kozo888

Travellers are raving about these Canvey Island hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Thank You for a lovely stay at your hotel, I stayed there for 3 nights with my Boyfriend and felt really looked after for a B&B. We received clean towels every day, a tasty breakfast each morning with Vegetarian sausages available and a really spacious room upgrade at no extra cost. The town was only 10 minute walk away and the hotel has free parking at the back although the drive way up to it was very narrow even for my KA. The owner was also a QPR supporter which won them brownie points with me :o) I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.
Sarah and Glen

Room Tip: Room 14 was the biggest and nicest room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

We (me and my partner) needed a hotel near to a wedding reception we were attending. This was the nearest and by far the most reasonable priced hotel we found. And we decided to give it a go. When we pulled up, our first impressions were it was just a extended house! But we were then greeted by the friendly couple and shown to our room. We were also told there was a large car park to the rear - we didn't realise! - and that was a nice surprise as it menat our car was safe. Upon entering we realised it isn't just an extended house, its is a Narnia wardrobe! - its huge! It fits about 14 or so rooms in it as well as the little dining area on the ground floor I thought it had a quirky, unusual charm to it. We had a key to a side door (self locking fir door) that meant we could come and go as we please and also that no one was ever at risk of jeopardising the safety of the house. The room was clean, had a wardrobe, a comfy double bed, and a nice bathroom - a shower bath combo. It also had a small TV that worked well and had all channels on so we were happy that we could watch the world cup rugby final! Also had tea coffee/ kettle complimentary stuff. It was a small room, but it did the job, was clean and a good nights sleep - what do people expect for the price!???? I think, for the price they have gone above and beyond what they should do. Also - included in the cheap price of around £45 - on a saturday night as well! They included breakfast - yes there was squash (what do you expect!) but it was kept cool and refreshing. There was also unlimited cereal, toast each and a choice a things for your full english - i had poached egg and veggie sausages - both I CAN SAY WERE DELICIOUS! But as well as that, you have a nice friendly service, a feeling that the owners enjoy their job and are very polite and sweet. A charm I believe is often lost in a big chain company of hotels.

I can't comment on the area, the house is located on a overcrowded estate, but it is fine if you're not iver fussy, its near to the beach, but we didn't really explore much as we were there for an event. But it was in a good location if you wanted to see the sea. Overall, a good price, fantastic breakfast and an enjoyable stay. Lovely owners - thank you John and Julie! x

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HelenRose47
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

This is a very large conventional house, with rooms, at least one of which is en-suite and
which I stayed in.

Not everything can be given a tick unfortunately.

To start with the positives:-
Professional smiling welcome from the hosts, a very clean room, bathroom fittings had clearly been polished and were spic and span pretty much, looking almost as new. Shower curtain clean, floor very clean,
Everything cleanliness wise was perfect in the room and throughout. Shiny if dated tiles, all nice.
Good in-room tea and coffee with a kettle facility although could do with bigger table for them.
Car park to rear is a fair size although the driveway to it is very narrow and needs great care.
TV and freeview in the room were very good.
Room design was homely if a bit dated (but I have seen far more dated places for higher rates!) and the calming colour scheme was simple.
Room was pleasantly warm, not too hot or too cold, dry and pleasant.
I think the pillows are memory foam – I quite liked them.
Plenty of towels. Very generous here.
Owner texted me when I left my car interior light on, which was thoughtful and courteous.
Breakfast was very good, a cereal plus cooked breakfast choice, but a squash (not fresh juice) drink somewhat raised an eyebrow. There's also tea or coffee and toast with jam or marmalade. Although my toast was overdone, the very good scrambled eggs were clearly made by someone who knows what they’re doing! Coffee was weak, or not a blend I like. However, in my allocated bedroom they did provide Douwe Egberts sachets which are very good, of course.
Service washes for laundry at £8 a time.
Books and info in the dining room.

The not so good points:
There simply is very little by way of a sound barrier when someone opens the door at the foot of the stairs that leads to the upstairs bedrooms corridor. The noise is considerable when the door is used and the stairs walked or the corridor outside walked. The floors have tiling but they do not help with noise at all, quite the opposite!
General noise around the interior of the hotel that reached my room subsided by about midnight, but started again at 6 or so. Because the dining room is at the foot of the stairs, crockery sounds are audible and prevented me from sleeping much past 6am as did the smell of the cooked breakfast included.
Vague smell of what seems like cigarette smoke but may not be, spoilt my stay a bit.
Also in the bathroom, that same tiling floor seemed a bit slippery to me when wet so I put the supplied rubber mat down on the floor to relieve my anxiety of slipping over.
Bed was fine although maybe just a little on the short length wise, I am on the tall side.
Room lacks a table or desk to work from and some hooks on bathroom doors would be good for robes etc.
No power socket near enough to the table with the kettle meant I had to use the kettle on the floor.
Some dark spot on the beverages tumbler rim, possibly a dishwasher grease blob.
Rather grubby TV remote control.
Audible neighbouring room or communal bathroom extractor fan.
I could not pick up the free wi-fi signal for very long, I moved my laptop all round the room but in the end gave up and used my own mobile broadband. However at 11pm my laptop indicated there was wifi again and I used it successfully until I went to sleep.

Pretty standard really, cleanliness wise it is ahead of many, but other things do let it down, most notably the noise. Trivial maybe but the fruit squash sends a signal of breakfast stinginess which actually is not the case as the breakfast offering is otherwise generous and expertly cooked in the case of the scrambled eggs and possibly other menu choices too.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Traveld0dge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canvey Island
The Oysterfleet Hotel
The Oysterfleet Hotel
#1 of 2 in Canvey Island
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hot...
#8 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Southend Guest House
#4 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Premier Inn Basildon (East Mayne) Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews

Been to Endeavour Hotel? Share your experiences!