“Good alternative to expensive in-town hotels”

Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good alternative to expensive in-town hotels”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel as visitors to Manchester. The hotel is conveniently located close to the Tram-line stop: Ashton Moss. The tram service runs every 12 minutes and is very handy.
The hotel itself has undergone a refurbishment and looks fine. Rooms are clean and big enough, with basic facilities. The bathroom is small but absolutely fine. The only drawback with the bathroom were the unsightly silicone seals around the shower tray. They had turned black and gives the .impression that mould is growing. An issue that should be easily resolved by regular maintenance, although not done so at this hotel. Shame.
The bed was comfortable and our stay was pleasant.
Staff members were overall friendly and accommodating.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night as we was going on holiday the day after flying from manchester airport.
On arrival staff was friendly. Check in was quick and easy.
We was in room 215. Was a clean room and big enough. With it being summer it was warm so had windows open. Didnt get much sleep as the noisr from the cars and trams was loud, although i didnt mind as had to be up at 2am. The pub next door does nice food and good prices.
I would not stay here again as the noise puts me off.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Lets be honest, what do you want from a cheap business hotel.

Easy fast no fuss check in. - checked
Plenty space in room. - checked
Big clean Bathroom. - checked
Plenty warm water. - checked
Wifi. - checked
Great selection of take aways and restaurants close by. - checked
Comfy bed and plenty pillows. - checked

All that for £25.

Really why pay more for the big purple one? My second time with Travelodge and I think I'm comming back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Ashton-Under-Lyne Travelodge boasts its "newly refurbished" status, but is by far and away the least pleasant newly refurbished Travelodge I've stayed in. I'm not taking anything away from the pleasant staff on reception, who were helpful on arrival and departure - but the first impressions beyond this weren't good. For starters, laundry bins were being stored next to the lift at the bottom of the stairs and the lift and corridors had a slightly stale smell.

My room was a decent size, and had been refurbished - the bathroom was very clean, but a lot of the fixtures and fittings already carried scars from previous occupants. Both bedside light shades were badly damaged and there were obvious stains on the carpet - for some reason there was also an old "function room" type chair in the corner of the room, covered in dust. I will say that the bedding was clean, as were the kettle and cups - and the Wi-Fi in this hotel was of a good standard, and provided decent speeds. With my room being on the front, I could also hear noise from the main road outside and the Metrolink trams passing by - but this was not hugely intrusive.

Overall, Ashton-Under-Lyne Travelodge is an average member of the chain - but is already showing signs of wear and tear. For a positive to end on, the convenient location is just a short ride on the Metrolink from Ashton town centre to Ashton Moss tram stop (costs £1.60 single at time of writing) and is about 25 minutes from Manchester Piccadilly by tram.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the Metrolink tram running right outside - along with a main road. For a qui...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Clean, updated, good location for local area and trams which are now running offers a quick and easy way to get into Manchester city centre without any hassle. Excellent value for money on savers rates which we got. Also not far from train station so good choice for travelling if not going by car.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank a413hardy
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Newly refurbished, yes it has been, generally clean and tidy, although the first floor landing smells of what I can only describe as a badly kept old people's home! On arrival, approx 4.15pm difficulty getting to our room as cleaners across landing still making up rooms, dirty laundry and cleaning products strewn everywhere, made to feel that we were in there way, not the other way around as they should have finished a good while before! Our room smelt fusty, which I put down to firstly the smell from the landing and secondly the extractor fan in the bathroom not working, which with three women in the room, there's a lot of steam from the amount of daily showers! The damp atmosphere contributed to my daughters asthma flaring up! On arrival only the double bed was made up, I had to request bedding for the single bed, for which one assistant told me to let her know when we were going out and she would make the bed up, on so notifying reception a different assistant very harshly replied she'd get me the bedding but I'd have to make up myself, for which wasn't a problem but I don't need attitude, it was there over site! When I reported the non working fan, told they would look at it, on my return 10 hours later, still not working! Beds had been made, some towels taken away but not replaced, another trip to reception for towels, two nights running. However may I on a positive note say that ADAM is very good at his job, polite, eager to help, rectify and solve what ever you ask of him!

Room Tip: Try a different area situated travelodge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed for one night at this Travelodge and found it excellent value for money. We were greeted on arrival by a very friendly lady. Our room was very clean and had a lovely comfortable bed. We had a room at the back so the noise from the very busy road in front was muted but I would imagine that the rooms on the front would be noisy, at least during the day. The new Metroline trams run right in front of the hotel so it is very convenient if you want to go into Manchester city centre and leave your car behind, the nearest stop is only 2 minutes walk away from the hotel. it is convenient for some restaurants although we ate our evening meal at the pub next to the hotel the Lord Sheldon Arms, we also had breakfast there, the food was good and the prices reasonable. The hotel is basic but it is clean, comfortable and excellent value for money. we would certainly stay here again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashton-under-Lyne
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
The Broadoak Hotel
The Broadoak Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East

Been to Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne? Share your experiences!