“rubbish”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The Engine Room Ashton
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I use to go here a lot but haven't been since September as we moved to Blackpool.but was in Ashton yesterday and arranged to meet up with 4 friends for lunch-we spent 35 pounds on food but it wasn't worth the money..the fish batter was burnt,you could see where it was stuck on the bottom of fryer.the lasagna must have been in a microwave as it looked like it had exploded in it..the cause was all over the dish and was hard round the sides..the same with my dried up portion of peas they were rock hard at bottom of dish,my friend brought her little girl and she had chicken nuggets they too were hard at the bar we asked for a pint of coke no ice we got half a pint with ice but we did tell the man behind the bar..looked like it was the manager but he wasn't very plesent so that's why we didn't complain about the person who cooked it.why would you send food out like that.this its not hard to do as I work in a kitchen myself.think they need a mystery shopper going inor even someone from head office

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Called in as I was meeting friends for a drink round Ashton, place was very clean and tidy staff were on the ball I wouldn't have a problem coming here again ..

1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I went on my lunch from work with a friend for a catch up over a drink and something to eat. My friend had the Chicken/Bacon melt/sandwich and I had the steak Sandwich.

When the food arrived, we were given condiments which had no salt and the red sauce bottle was empty - not really an issue but when I went to ask for salt the young lad I asked said that the others were all out. I was like...ok? He then asked if i wanted him to go and see if anyone else was done with their salt, he then went round all the tables to ask and eventually came back with a salt. I got the red sauce myself out of the cupboard. The chicken/bacon melt didnt look very appetising and the baguette was really full of filling to say the least. The coleslaw on the side seemed very cheap and vinegary.

Once I had eaten the portion of chips you get on the side, I looked down to my steak sandwich and noticed little specks of green, when I opened the bread and looked on the other side there was green mould all over the side :( I was immediately put off the food and so was my friend.

I was apologised to and received a full refund, but surely the person preparing the food would have noticed this!? Which also make me think that the batch of ciabatta breads they were using today were all mouldy and others may have eaten them.

Will MOST DEFINATELY not be going again, I knew the food wasnt the best anyway but for a quick bite within an hour I didnt think it could be that bad - but it was. I'll make sure next time I go Trifles !!!!

2  Thank RowP2014
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Poor service ask the bar lad who was in charge he replied Julie the duty manager but she won't be bothered as she leaving next week. Told them about the poor service on food she replied she tell the chef asked her for her managers name she said they don't have one any more

1  Thank Chan2222
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Walked through the door only for it to slam behind us, sat down in the dirty family area next to a dirty table that proceeded to be dirty for the next hour. Tattered menus in them horrible blocks of wood and none of the chairs matched. Menu is standard "pub" food with sharing food for the later crowd, ordered a burger with a drink and a side of coleslaw which I was told comes with the food and if not then it would be given to us with no charge. Sat back down and waitied a good while for the food to arrive, when it did there was no coleslaw and had to ask. The food was rubbish to put it bluntly, the chicken burger was dry as a bone and there was no mayo to be seen and the chips looked and tasted like they had come from the takeaway down the road (not in a good way). My girlfriend wanted to take my son to change his nappy, after jimmying the door open with a knife (quite common practice I have noticed) there was a knife on the changing station. FACEPALM. After washing my burger down with coke or pepsi or whatever I didn't order (I'm a diet kinda guy) I went to the bar to get a dessert as we weren't be any means satisfied with our meals. Poor choice of desserts but we settled on sharing a chocolate fudge cake, walked to the bar and the 2 managers(?) were stood there moaning that they hadn't been able to get hold of change. As it was christmas eve why someone had not prepared themselves is beyond me as they had also ran out of orange juice, good job I didn't want one of my 5 a day (!) One of the managers, Mr Blue jumper was pouring a drink in front of me, looked at me, walked off with the drinks, came back and served the woman next to me who had literally just walked to the bar. Maybe I wasn't his type, or the fact I had a card in my hand ready to pay. More importantly why is the manager working behind the bar when the floor area is a total mess and they "have no change", go and sort it out pal thats what you're paid to do. I finally get served and get told desserts are BOGOF...AWESOME, I can deal with that in my life. Apart from taking as long as it does to bake the actual cake they were gorgeous and went down a treat. Oh the banging door was being "fixed" as we ate, which my 7 month old son just loved to hear while trying to feed him, especially the drilling.

5  Thank JCR1986