“Excellent Stay with extended Family”

Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Portadown, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay with extended Family”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Brilliant hotel. We stayed here for a birthday party which wss close by and i looked through alot of local hotels before deciding on this one. We were not disappointed. Brilliant facilities for all the family young & not so young. Rooms were large and well appointed. Atmosphere was great in all areas of hotel ( had that warm homely feel about it). Breakfast was excellent & plentiful. Kids loved the swimming pool & husband & son only had to walk out the door for about 100 yards to get the tram which dropped them right outside the Man City ground. All in all excellent value for money & will definitely be back

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Visited the Village Hotel in Ashton in December for a Christmas party night. When I first stepped in to the marquee, I was amazed at how wonderful it looked! to think, every other month of the year its just a strip of grass, now its a beautiful marquee!
Drinks were relatively well priced. ive visited the Village on a number of occasions, and the drinks are always well priced for the location and the fact its a hotel. arrived to a champagne reception, and a fire breather stood outside.
ordered a pitcher of 'WooBull' cocktail, which was a great quality red bull based version of a woowoo. tasted delicious, and came back for more. was disappointed ordering my second pitcher of cocktail. this time I chose a Cosmo Fizz, but it mainly tasted of lemonade. I saw the barman, Luke or Lewis I think was his name, poor lots of Lemonade in it. when I returned for my next pitcher, I ordered another cosmo fizz. this one was made by the other barman, I think he said his name was Brad. he made a nicer tasting cocktail, and apologised for the other barmans poor quality cocktail, and offered me a discount. I thought this was great customer service.
the food was decent quality, with the turkey very good quality.
WE had waiters come to the table to take our drinks orders. our waiter was, unfortunately, very rude, aggressive and bought us the wrong order-but still charged us! I ordered all my table drinks, and everyones arrived apart from my elderly mothers. her White Wine took minutes to arrive. I was very disappointed in this. The scruffy waiter was called Patrick, and I will not attend another event at this hotel if hes the waiter!
the DJ was really good, playing a range of songs, as well as interacting with the customers, which some DJs don't do.
when the night came to the end, the security didn't force everyone out too quickly, which is what you sometimes find in hotels. the kind gentleman at reception phoned me a taxi, whilst my friends finished the night in the residents bar. all in all, it was a good night. few disappointments with staff, but I thoroughly enjoyed my night nevertheless. would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants a fun night, and doesn't want to spend loads of money!

Room Tip: don't position yourself too close to the bar, as lots of congestion
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Emily O, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Ashton, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with us at the Village Hotel Ashton. Your willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated.

I am sorry you felt your visit to us wasn’t up to 100% satisfaction I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments and they are being followed up by each department manager and I can assure you each point has been taken seriously.

The De Vere Group is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our organisation, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Again thank you for your comments.

If I can be of any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me on the details below.

Kind Regards

Emily O'Hara

emily.ohara@village-hotels.com
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Our family (Mum, Dad and two kids aged 7 and 3) stayed in a Village family room while visiting relatives just after Christmas.

The room was fairly large so it could accommodate two fold away beds. All the beds were good and comfortable. The room looked modern and stylish, but perhaps more thought could have gone into practicalities. One example is the minimalist storage, ie, there was a very narrow hanging space almost filled by the ironing board plus around 5 drawers. Both of these were covered by one of the kids beds, therefore no use at all. There were no coat hooks. The result was a very messy room. Luckily the stylish lighting was so subdued we couldn’t see the mess. Not so handy when you are trying to find something though.

Having said all that, it was excellent value for only 89 GBP per night for all of us, including breakfast. It also includes use of the pool, which we didn’t manage to squeeze in. For that reason I'm giving it 4 stars.

The reception area is large and has a Starbucks so we had a lovely coffee with my relatives in squidgy chairs. We also had lunch in the ‘pub’. Unfortunately there was hardly any staff, so it took about 10 minutes to queue to order and 30 minutes to arrive. The food was good though.

The hotel is situated right by the leisure park. We had a great time with the kids going to the Hollywood Bowl, the cinema and two restaurants: Chiquitos and Frankie & Bennys.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Got a great deal to visit family as usually stay elsewhere. Great having a wetroom rather than a bath, although towels could do with replacing - rather thin and rough. Lack of drawers and nowhere to hang a coat was disappointing, as the only hanging space was over the desk/bedside. Would have been more of a letdown if we had been paying more.
My husband really enjoyed the leisure facilities, especially the pool.
Breakfast was one of the best we have had.

Room Tip: If you have not stayed there before, make sure you know how to switch on the lights!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a review of the Gym/Health Suite, think they call it Velocity. It was on Amazon Local as a deal - ten visits for ten pound. (From October to December 2013)

The staff are very friendly.
The male changing rooms were of an average standard. The lockers used to have a 'credit card' type system. The reception would give you a plastic card which would activate the lock. However, I think they are doing away with this in favour of a padlock system, which is a shame as you have to remember to bring your padlock.

The showers in the male changing rooms had seen better days. There was mould on the ceilings. Virtually everytime I visited the place, at least one of the showers were not working.

There are some self patrons who would shave in the sinks and then leave their shaved hair etc. all around the sinks.

The cardiovascular equipment in the gym is good. However, the weights and free weights are dated and worn out/broken. For instance the Assisted Pull Up machine had broken rubber handles which made using it difficult. Other machines had frayed straps or worn rubber on them.
It is average for a gym.

The swimming pool is very good. However, at times half of it is taken up by ladies bouncing up and down to the command of the most musclar woman I have ever seen.

The jacuzzi is a large square "pool" often not as bubbly as one would like. On my last visit this was broken.

The sauna was good but this broke down and was not fixed for several weeks.

The steam room also stopped working during my short membership.

All in all an average gym. I believe the monthly membership is in exess of £30. This is not worth it for the gym. I often wondered how the clientele in the gym could afford the monthly membership fee.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ad_Reviewer2014
Emily O, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Ashton, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your constructive comments and great feedback about the team. I will pass this on.

We have taken the opportunity in December & early January to invest significantly in keys areas of the club & we would love to invite you back to use the club once again.

Our new locker system has meant more lockers readily available to our members, every shower in the club has now been replaced with a manual operation and are fully functional. The shower ceiling have also been attended too and have been cleaned down & re painted.

In our fitness suite we have brought in NEW Jordan free weights along with further functional equipment to compliment our Myzone & Octagon facilities. We are currently in the process of re-upholstering our resistance equipment. However, this is never a finished project due to the high usage and wear & tare. However we are committed to ongoing maintenance and up keep of the facility & equipment.

Our Sauna, Steam Room & Spa are currently fully operational and we have received some fantastic feedback on the temperature of our new sauna.

We’d like to see you again soon. Contact Lee.martin@village-hotels.com should you wish to take up the offer of a complimentary pass
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for the NYE party and we had a blast. Rooms were large and comfortable, very clean and modern. Bed very comfy and plenty of plug sockets which hotel rooms are usually lacking.
Gym and pool facilities great. Breakfast great, the hotel was booked out so we had to wait for a table for breakfast but the staff handled the chaos well. They sorted gluten free breakfast for me as well even though I forgot to pre-order, whoops!

Only thing I didn't like was that the rooms were a bit dark with not enough lighting. Other than that, fantastic!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here as we were attending the new years eve Fire and Ice party with friends. The hotel has a nice, relaxed feel about it and the drinks in the bar are priced very reasonably for a hotel. The room was pleasant and the bed very comfortable, The bathroom was large and the shower good. The only downside to me was the fact that there were no drawers in the room and nowhere to hang a long dress. The bedrooms must have been designed by men - women need drawers!! All in all we felt that the hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashton-under-Lyne
Village Manchester Hyde Hotel
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
The Broadoak Hotel
The Broadoak Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Ashton? Share your experiences!