“Great place for a wedding!”
Review of The Potters Heron

The Potters Heron
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ampfield
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“Great place for a wedding!”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My daughter's wedding was held here last weekend & I would thoroughly recommend it for any occasion. The food & accommodation were excellent, the staff friendly & helpful & the setting perfect for the wedding photographs.

Room Tip: The Club rooms are on the 1st floor, but not all have balconies. Corridors are very long, so ask for...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pat B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We arrived in the early evening - The receptionist was very helpful, providing a print-out of directions to a location we wanted to visit. and trying to provide answers to numerous questions. We did not have dinner there but breakfast was good and the staff helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

We attended a wedding which to us seemed wonderfully organised. The staff were very friendly and caring. The food was very good and served hot. The wedding bar could have been better stocked and inexcusable to run out of bottled water. They need a new television in the lounge, no one wants to watch a set that has a faulty screen. Coffee is served in the bar but be prepared for a long wait. A good venue for a wedding with lots of places to sit and chill in between afternoon and evening sessions. The venue may be a little tired but the staff are a credit to them.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

First impressions from the outside and the reception and bar area were encouraging. A quirky appearance from the outside but clean and well presented on the inside. The staff were friendly and attentive. The food was OK but the waitress said she didn't need to write our order down and were got the wrong food - twice!

The room (23) was on the ground floor and was 'tired'. The decoration was not to a standard we are used to and the bedroom furniture had seen better days. The bathroom was of the same standard.

There was also a bad smell of damp - we notified reception and they were 'suprised' and said they would investigate.

Breakfast was a bit weird - total buffet, including your tea and coffee - plenty of it but not the best quality.

Overall a disappointing stay - this could be a top notch place with a little more attention to the rooms and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Wanted a night away as been in hospital on our wedding anniversary and as the place we wanted to go to was fully booked we chose this hotel as the pictures looked good and the location suited as well.
As soon as we entered the front door it smelt damp. The receptionist was very happy chatty and told us the room we had been allocated was exceptionally nice so I took her word for it. Initial impressions were ok, with silk rose petals on the bed to make it look good and the bed was fine, though the duvet was far too small for the bed size as I found in the morning when I woke with a sore back.
The state of cleanliness left so much to be desired - this was described as a refurbished room. The carpet looked dirty and the bathroom was growing mould and fungus everywhere. The toilet bowl was orange below the level of the water and the toilet brush was scary - way past its useby date and so infested by bacteria I am sure it could probably walk on its own. The floor was orange too, and the disgusting bathmat (one of the suckered ones for the inside of the bath), and the tile grout. All the corners of everything in the bathroom were black too. There was no ventilation in it which probably made the situation even worse and when you used the shower there was a two inch gap between the shower screen and the bath which meant the water just poured out onto the floor.
The towels were white and good quality and they did have quilted loo roll. There were toileteries supplied but we didn't use them but I guess they were ok.
As the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, and had a country style restaurant we had planned to eat there so we had a table booked.
We went down to the bar and whilst there were three bar staff it took ages for anyone to notice us standing there so the start to the evening was not good.
The menu seemed ok and we ordered but when the food came it looked far worse than any school dinner. Chilli con carne was what looked like tinned mince, with the odd carrot - not a chilli bean to be seen. There was a small mound of rice in the bowl and a piece of garlic bread. It was promptly sent back and the other dish of sausages and champ was also sent back when the champ was so lumpy it was inedible. The replacement dish for the chilli was gammon and chips and after waiting about half an hour this was also a disaster and the other replacement meal didn't arrive at all so had to be reordered. We retired to the room hungry and they sent up two club sandwiches which I extracted the bacon from as I am coleic and then we also got sausages and chips instead of the mash. So all in all a food disaster so we didn't even go for the breakfast the next morning.
The water pipes also make so much noise it was impossible to sleep when people in adjacent rooms went to the loo, showered, or ran water. The ground floor rooms below ours opened into the garden so people were smoking and we couldn't open our windows to get any fresh air the next morning. Also the walls are paper thin so we were subjected to everyone elses conversation in adjacent rooms.
All in all I would never recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olwen66
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We arrived at the Hotel on Saturday 11th August. The reception staff were very helpful and efficient.
The rooms we were allocated were on the ground floor, quite dark but clean and well decorated and serviced. Unfortunately, room 9 had a strange damp smell which didn't clear even with the windows open and brown water ran out of the tap in room 8.
The hotel restaurant and the pub restaurant were good and provided an excellent service and good food.
Was unfortunately woken each morning by decorators accessing the hotel through a fire door adjacent to room 9. The final straw being the Wednesday morning at 8am, when they decided to sand paper the wall opposite my room to remove a damp patch underneath the paint!
I would return to the hotel but would request a room on the first floor when booking.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarahj2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed here for a nights break away from the kids (four of them including 1 year old twin girls), paid for by my husband as a treat, so was really looking forward to some time to myself and a bit of pampering! Was to be disappointed unfortunately. As soon as I arrived, was welcomed by receptionist, all went ok, till I entered my room to find it was a twin as oppose to a double as requested upon booking. So was moved to a room down the corridor. First impression was it was very dark and dingy, prob due to the very wide heavy curtains and drab decor. No wi-fi in the room, just a dated wired port plug, which was useless to me as I had my i-pad.

Bathroom was very small and in dire need of ripping out and re-fitting. There was scum and all manor of yukness around the tap and plug hole, and dirty grout. Toilet did not flush properly either (had to flush two or three times a go).

Dinner really took the biscuit. Starter was nice. I had the pate, was a decent size. Then waitress kept sending me the business man opposites order. Main was Thai green curry which tasted like it had just come out the microwave and nearly tok off the roof of my mouth. After which waitress took my plate and replaced it with steak (said businessmans dinner). Now I'm not skinny by any means, but even I don't order two main meals when I eat out! She repeated this with my pudding, which was frankly, the worst pudding I have ever eaten. It was recommended by the waitress and it was chocolate orange brioche.....minus the chocolate. It tasted like someone had poured orange juice over a bit of brioche. Awful texture and no taste!

Breakfast was ok....pretty average. Breakfast room dated and little selection. Have had better at premiers/holiday inns.

Really was disappointed with my little break which could have been so much more. I will not return!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Katey S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampfield
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Holiday Inn Southampton - Eastleigh M3,jct13
Marwell Hotel
Marwell Hotel
#8 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The Potters Heron? Share your experiences!