“Lazy Sunday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ampfield
London, United Kingdom
“Lazy Sunday”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We took advantage of their Lazy Sunday deal; Sunday Lunch, a night's stay and breakfast.

Check-in quick and friendly. Room was spacious and well appointed, though the bathroom was looking a little tired. Wired internet in the room with wireless in the communal areas.

The restaurant looks to have been refurbished recently. Food was well presented and tasty. Breakfast was buffet style with a cooked choice to order.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I went here to celebrate Mother's Day with my mum and family. Having been here before and having enjoyed my previous meal I thought this was a good choice. We ordered drinks from our waitress of which I received the wrong wine, but decide to let it slip and still enjoyed my glass. When it came to ordering food I asked my waiter I my 2 food choices were gluten free, the pork belly and the lemon butterfly chicken. He was uncertain so went to check and to write down other options for me. A different waitress came back to the table and offered the lemon chicken, I asked if that was all and she had no answer for me. I went with the lemon chicken that was to come with vegetables and potato. When my meal arrived it was chicken and vegetables with no potato. And with no other explanation of why there was no potato. It being Mother's Day I decided to not kick up a fuss like I normally would and let it pass as it still tasted good and was healthy. Throughout the evening the service was slow and all that could be heard from some staff members was giggling and messing around behaviour.
I come from a pub/ restaurant background myself. And knowing that we have many gluten free options and our staff fully describe everything that a gluten free person can and can not have, I was surprised and disappointed nothing else was said and no options were given!
I wouldn't recommend this establishment if you are gluten free, they don't seem to care as just see it as an annoyance.

• Stayed March 2013
kent
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Actually our 3rd hotel for this particular evening! We were trying to stay in Winchester for the Xmas market & had 2 other bookings fall through. The Potters Heron was offered to us by the Winchester Royal who'd had a power cut.

Its about 8 miles from Winchester & as would be arriving after dinner we were slightly apprehensive about checking in late. We shouldn't have worried though as the reception staff couldn't have been friendlier. A wedding party was in full swing but we were given a room right at the back & couldn't hear a thing.

The hotel is an attractive thatched building at the front with a much larger & non matching extension to the rear. It has a rather corporate feel with more rooms than we're used to.

The room had slightly dated 80's decor, but was large, well appointed & comfortable. The bed was huge & we both slept like logs!

Breakfast was a buffet - which is never my favourite - but there was a good choice & the food was good - apart from the catering quality sausages! This isn't uncommon though & I never understand why!

A very undemanding & comfortable overnight stop. Would we go back? Yes definitely.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Booked hotel for a week-end walking in New Forest, however, the weather had diffrent ideas but the Hotel was lovely, we had a superior room which was spacious, cosy, well decorated with a superking comfy bed. We had excellent meal in the evening where the staff very friendly and attentive. Breakfast a was fantastic full english which set us up for the day and was served up till 10.30am so could enjoy a long lay in. The reception staff were friendly and very helpful. All in all a lovely hotel, will definately go back when the weather settles and warms up a bit, could be waiting a while for that!

Room Tip: Choose a superior room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My partner and I are planning to have our wedding reception at the Potters Heron so we decided to have a dinner there after discussing our arrangements. The bar/restaurant area is lovely and cosy. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was great. After reading some negative reviews we were dubious so I picked a burger - many places do gourmet burgers - hand made patty and usually over cooked and dry - not this time - it was juicy and tasty, The extra bacon was done crispy as I asked, the onion rings were light and fluffy. My partner's vegetarian dishes were lovely too.
Our only problem was after a starter and a main we couldn't fit pudding in!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redenuk
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I had a lunch with a group of friends. Very poor food and not cheap. Will not be eating there again. I asked the waiter to tell the chef about my poor meal but no-one came back to me about this. I at least expected an apology.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bentwood45
UCKFIELD
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We booked this hotel for a 2 night New Year break and were delighted with the whole experience. The reception staff were polite and cheerful and gave us our key to room 51. Being habitual smokers, we were so pleased to find our room had a balcony where we could escape for a quick cigarette.The room was spacious and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom.
We really enjoyed our New Years eve dinner and danced to the disco until well past midnight. The buffet breakfast on New Years day was excellent,also. We were pleased to discover that the N.T property Mottisfont abbey was only a short distance away and we spent a very pleasant 4 hours there. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampfield
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester
Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel

Been to The Potters Heron? Share your experiences!