“Christmas 2012”

Martin Lane Farm Holiday Cottages
Derby, United Kingdom
“Christmas 2012”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We booked the Stable and the Dairy as a base to allow us to be with family over the Christmas period. The accommodation was warm, very clean, well maintained and certainly met all of our needs. The Stable had even been decorated with its own Christmas Tree.
The location was ideal for us and provided a quiet and peaceful base to work from.
I would have no hesitation in booking again or recommending to others in the future.

Room Tip: The Stable has excellent facilities for those who are less mobile.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We have used The Dairy on several occasions and found it to be adequate for our needs as we only come to the area to visit family.It is cosy and comfortable.On our last visit we stayed in The Stable which is excellent and highly recommended.The location of this cottage is very private with its own entrance and exit and parking is right outside the front door.We have already booked another break in the spring for The Dairy.

Room Tip: Bedroom in The Dairy is facing the back garden so it is very quiet. Both bedrooms in The Stable coul...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dorset
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed as a couple together with my elderly mother, who was pleased to have her own ensuite shower room.
We found the cottage (The Stables) very warm, comfortable and clean. Really well appointed and cared for. The cottages are very near to Southport and Ormskirk yet it was a really quiet country location. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. We shall definitely want to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I'm writing this review to help fellow wheelchair users in considering this accommodation and hope that it will provide some feedback for Elaine. Some of the comments are purely from our perspective and we appreciate different families will have their own take on access!

I use personal assistance for transfers and a powered small adult wheelchair. I say this just because we are quite aware that Stable Cottage is rated 'M3 (I)' where the person would be an independent traveller and/or not require assistance to transfer.

Prior to booking we requested photos of the bathroom to check out access which were very helpful.

We arrived quite late and Elaine popped in to go over a few things and check we had everything we needed (some of the grab rails in the bathroom had not been put up and the towel rail didn't work - which was ok as we didn't need them). It was nice to have a friendly welcome that didn't take an hour to go through 'orientation' as we have found in some self catering. That's the last thing you want when you've had a long journey!

We had good instruction to find the place and parking was right outside the door. The cottage door is on a side of the building that has it's own access gate and the path to the front courtyard is not wheelchair accessible so I didn't get to see the chickens (but did like their eggs!).

Living room/dining room/kitchen area.

This space was lovely, clean and comfortable. I didn't use the kitchen but my husband did cook and the only thing we would have liked to see were some egg cups (at least we couldn't see any). I think it would be useful to have some wooden blocks so that the kitchen table can be raised up as I couldn't get under it and my chair is extra low.

Bedroom

We had single beds with the accessible bathroom adjoining. Again, nice furnishings and clean and tidy. We did find that the beds were divans and thus at a set height which was higher than my wheelchair armrests and prevented me from transferring. We also moved a few things around to get better access (we are perhaps a bit unique in needing a bit more floor space than average to do the assisted transfers).

Bathroom

The main consideration for booking a place to stay is how accessible it is in the bathroom. For us, having the sink away from the toilet was a welcome sight as it gave us more space.

A few things about the bathroom made it a bit difficult but I'm not sure how it could be improved other than to hang the door opening into the bedroom. The problem was that once you push the nice large door open you go into the bathroom and get access to the sink and toilet - however, the door then completely blocks off the shower. I had a small chair so I was able to get right into the corner whilst my husband closed the door to open up access to the shower space. I am not sure how you could do this if you were on your own.

I needs assistance to transfer which we had to do with the bathroom door open (and leave it open because I rest my feet on a foot stool to balance and that stops the door closing). I appreciate this is outside of the M3(I) rating but have noted it in case it's important for someone.

It would have been useful to have a soap dish in the bathroom.

General:

Lovely and warm and some good information about places to go and where to eat - I can't recommend enough going for lunch to The Farm farm shop down the road - best meal I have had in years and free wifi. Unfortunately the Wifi at the cottage was not very strong and connections were largely dropped within minutes but I think this is being looked into as to the best place to put it so that the cottage picks it up better.

Overall, having stayed in Stable Cottage we would know how to get around the personal access difficulties we had and would enjoy going back again some time - many thanks.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Elaine S, Owner at Martin Lane Farm Holiday Cottages, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Thanks for all your feedback, it was really useful. The towel rail is now working properly and all the grab rails are fitted. I hadn't thought about the height of the kitchen table but we do have 'bed raisers' so I suppose they would be useful for the kitchen table too. The beds are a bit of a problem because, as you say, everyone has different needs. As just mentioned, we do have bed raisers to make it higher but no way of making it lower. Will have to look into getting more specialised beds.
Since your visit we have purchased a stronger modem which seems to have solved the wifi problem.
Hadn't thought about the access to the garden until you mentioned it but we now have demolished the large barn in front of The Stable so, this Spring, the cottage will have its own garden.
Derby
Reviewed 4 September 2012

As a family of four adults, we found this accommodation very warm, comfortable and so peaceful. The beds were very comfortable, with crisp linen. Two of our company were involved in golfing activities, there being a plethora of renowned clubs in the area known as the 'English Golf Coast'. The two older members were entertained with a delightful visit to Rufford Old Hall and a very enjoyable day sunning ourselves on the beach at Formby Point - not what you expect in September!
The cottages proved to be an excellent centre from which to access these activities.
We plan to return for further golfing holidays.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Our family stayed in The Granary (5 adults) for a week over christmas and we had a lovely time. The cottage was decorated with tasteful christmas decorations inside and out. It was warm, clean, comfortable, well equipped and accommodated us all very well. We had visitors on christmas day and was able to cook for seven, Elaine and her husband were very helpful.
The cottage is in a quiet locaton with a nice pub just 10 minutes walk away. Burscough with its newly refurbished wharf is a short car ride away and the seaside town of Southport about a 10 minute ride.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Myself, my husband and 2 year old son stayed in "The Granary" in June 2011. The house was very spacious, and accommodated numerous visitors during the week of our stay. Unfortunately the weather was not great while we were in Burscough, however the living area was big enough to not feel cramped with a toddler to entertain.
When we did have good weather, the chickens, sheep and old farm equipment in the barn were great entertainment for our son. We also enjoyed the farm shop nearby, as well as food in the Farmers Arms, which was just around the corner.
We would also like to thank Elaine for returning "Cuddles" to us......our sons favourite bedtime toy was accidentally left behind, and Elaine ensured it was returned to us as quickly as possible.
We will definitely return to this area and hope to have many more family holidays in the Granary in the future,

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burscough
Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Holland Hall Country House Hotel
Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
Rufford Arms Hotel
Rufford Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rufford

Been to Martin Lane Farm Holiday Cottages? Share your experiences!