“Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Eagles Head

The Eagles Head
Ranked #1 of 43 Restaurants in Carnforth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

On our way to visit relatives holidaying in the area and having never visited the area before, we popped into this country pub looking for a spot of light Sunday lunch. The main eating area is spacious, well set out, and nicely decorated. The staff were very pleasant, welcoming and smartly dressed. The menu offered a wide range of "normal" country pub fare. The place was pretty busy, including a birthday party in a small function room and as we were on a fairly tight time scale, we wondered whether we might have to wait. Not a bit of it. We ordered our drinks at the bar and a waiter came to our table to take our food order. Although we were only looking for a light lunch, when I saw Roast Half Chicken (please don't call it Half Roast Chicken), which is one of my favourites, I decided to go for it (with new potatoes). As I say, the place was pretty busy, but my meal arrived within a very short time and what a feast was set before me. Apart from the excellently cooked chicken and new potatoes, there was stuffing and five, yes FIVE, different portions of veg. Suffice to say, I dipped out on my planned evening meal at home. This is certainly an establishment to which we will return to next time we are in the area and looking for a good meal in nice surroundings (although I may have to book in advance as, normally we have at least one vegan in our party and there didn't appear to be anything on the menu which would have suited her. That said, I feel confident the chef(s) would be able to prepare a nice vegan option, given a bit of notice)

2 Thank Andy T
Helena T, Head Chef at The Eagles Head, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review.It is always a good feeling when you read something positive because we work really hard to ensure that all our customers enjoy their visit with us.Obviously you can not pleases everyone.If you are planning to call in again please give us a call and we will try our best to accommodate your vegan friend.Once again a big thank you to every bodies kind reviews.To those that are not so pleased we extend our apologies. We do take important criticism on board.

Atherstone, United Kingdom
“eating out”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

best pub in the area where we stopped huge tasty meals really reasonably priced,very quick friendly service 10 out of 10 thankyou

Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
“Food amazing...atmosphere not so amazing”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were recommended the eagles head by the hosts of the B and B we were staying in as the food was supposed to be superb....and they didn't lie,it was the best meals we have ever tasted. Unfortunately we didn't find the landlord to be as good.its been said on here that it is a personal attack on him if you write a comment about him but I think how you are welcomed and treated at any place you pay to eat or drink at is included in a rating you give.the staff seemed lovely and were very helpful and polite although maybe slightly quick in taking your place mats after your meal. The landlord is a whole different kettle of fish.we went in early afternoon to see if it would be possible to book a table for that evening only to be tutted at and in a very can't be bothered tone told that he could try and fit us in at 8.30ish. We returned that evening and enjoyed a drink outside while we waited for our table.a poor lady and her husband on the bench next to us had an accident as their bench tipped fully over while they was sat on it an the lady nearly seriously injured
Herself on a large tree root that was quite high out of the ground.we were all shaken up as she went to speak to the landlord about what had happened only for him to blame her and accuse her of sitting on the bench in the wrong way causing the accident.i can assure you this was not the case and he left her really upset and angry...he didn't even ask if she was ok..I work in the industry myself and you just can't treat people like this then complain that it is wrong for people to leave bad feedback about him. So on that note I will leave you knowing the food was absolutely gorgeous but the landlord is certainly in the wrong job!

2 Thank Joanne B
Helena T, The miserable landlord at The Eagles Head, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I strongly disagree with you that I tutted when you asked to book a table.I simply looked at the diary to try and fit you in as we were exceptionally busy.I juggled the tables and managed to find you a table at 8.15pm but said that if I could I would try and seat you earlier.Is that the actions of a person who does not value every-bodies business.If I had known you were coming I would have baked you a cake!!
What a petty comment,The waitress removed the table mats to quickly.Obviously you like sitting on a dirty table.NICE.
As to your remarks regarding the poor lady that had the mishap with the table.At the end of the day what business is it of yours to comment.I simply could not understand how a table could tip up if the couple were sat centrally.I later found out they were both sat side by side on the same side that is why the table tipped.I no way accused them of doing it purposely. I replaced their drinks and when we had quietened down went and spoke to the couple and apologized for the misunderstanding.You obviously did not see this part of the incident and have a reported a wholly one sided part of an incident that really did not concern you in the slightest.Due to this mishap we are having the tables secured to the garden so no future incidents can happen
I will not be going to the job centre to find alternative work as I have been doing this for 30 years and to be quite honest having had a long running success with the pubs I have had I shall not be taking your advice for a change of career path.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your food but obviously you wont be returning.The majority of our customers are return trade,That speaks volumes.
Carnforth, United Kingdom
“Good wholesome food”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This pub has lovely food and plenty of it. The portions are generous and they have a good choice and it is well served.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Consistency beyond belief”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I have reviewed this pub restaurant in May and now I have returned over 15 times, the attraction good wholesome value for money food, served in a timely way even when busy.
The roast beef in Yorkshire pudding is to die for but having covered about 50% of the menu the overall food quality is excellent, as is the service.
Advisable to book as it gets busy even early in the week.
I guarantee you will not be diss appointed!
Top class homely cooking.

1 Thank Dennis O