“Fantastic room and lovely Pub with great food”

Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn
Ranked #8 of 28 Bridgnorth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Excellent, recently refurbished spacious room and spotlessly clean with private, seperate access from the pub. The pub is cosy with bags of character but with a very modern, contemporary feel. Although the pub was very busy, we didn't have to wait long and the carvery was excellent - loads and loads of food!
Bridgnorth is a lovely market town with loads of nice shops and cafes and we had a great weekend. If we had one minor niggle it was that the room got a bit hot so a fan would have been nice - looking forward to going back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BarmouthCampervan

Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here last night (may 31st 2011) after searching for somewhere to stay. We found the staff really friendly and very helpful. Our room was excellent. Very stylish and comfortable. We had a lovely meal as did all the other people in the resturant. It was fully booked proving the quality ,quantity and value is really good (three courses for £10........delicious). Full english breakfast this morning....brilliant. Can't fault anything. Thank you!!!! Julie and Paul.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juliel1960
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Attended the punchbowl as part of a 100 plus christening party. The function room had been booked after thorough discussion with the management of requirements. Firstly, the carvery was not provided in the function room as promised - staff were virtually none existant - after a two hour wait for the none existant staff to call us for carvery into the main public dining area, food was gathered. Elderly relatives had to stand queueing for half an hour. The Lamb which was promised was not in evidence and when requested was told "we never have it , its too expensive!!" The food was very good quality when we finally got it. BUT, then the empty plates remained on all twelve tables for another hour and a half. I had to go to the bar and ask a young bar person to start clearing instead of sitting on a stool. The toilets were filthy and more importantly, a store cupboard of cleaning materials was left open for anyone to help themselves. The vegetarian selection for several guests which was pre ordered, was NOT provided, as promised., and the cake appeared well after three quarters of the guests had left.
The bar staff were totally mesmerised by us ordering a glass of Merlot, firstly looking in the fridge, then offering a Shiraz saying "is that the one mate" followed closely by proffering a Cabernet Sauvignon.
I could continue,but think that is enough for anyone to realise that the mangement need a wake up call to continue what is intrinsicly a good business. I certainly will not visit again, along with most of the 100 plus guests (local) and would urge anyone thinking of booking an important event, to read this review carefully before deciding on this venue. PROMISES are easily made - but NONE of those promises materialised on the day!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
9  Thank pricetag69
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

If you read this response it may puzzle you why it has taken a year to respond, there is no disputing that this lady was unhappy, although the hosts were happy? From the word go when they wanted me to discount the carvery to the same price of my competitor I should have declined this Christening as I would have filled the Ludlow suite with Sunday bookings.

Sometimes doing someone a favour bites you back, but in all fairness you can't please everyone?

So after this terrible review that I must point out is grossly exaggerated why did you revisit my establishment last month, you were just as surprised to see the same staff as my staff were in seeing YOU again, luckily for you I wasn't around as I would not of allowed you to dine after this malicious review.

My staff retention is very high and they dont forget people that cause problems especially when we are not at fault, so I end this management response by asking that you don't frequent my establishment again

Adam Giles

Reviewed 12 September 2010

going to bridgnorth for a nice weekend relaxing and enjoying the night life. this was what the trip should have been all about. on arrival the experience starting to turn bad.
We were informed that the breakfast was served only between 7 and 9.30am on sunday morning. after a pub crowl night this is kind of early morning wake up that you don t really want. but never mind the service offered breakfast in the room has part of the deal. once in the room we than found that this one wasn't clean not hoovered, bits everywhere on the carpet marks on the floor, bathroom smelling of blocked drain, toilets rim not clean, the room and the bed felt damp. the room fridge is a Bar fridge which is great if you want the room to be lit by a cocacola neon light all night.. the road is next to the room and can be a bit noisy but nothing compare to the fridge. after requesting the room to be cleaned we went and enjoy the night in bridgnorth (great town by the way, must been seen if you pass by).
after a few drinks and a good night we came back to the hotel. one car on the car park we were the only one here. next morning 9.30am a bit of an headhache and could murder for that full english breakfast in bed sound great, doesn't it? well it would have been if the breakfast was ready.we waited for a while but nothing. So I had to get dress and went to find out what was happening. We were the only one in the hotel. nobody else here but for the cleaner. No breakfast because no cook, no service because no waiter.
This is one of the worse service that I had ever recieved from an hotel, the room need to be cleaned and dehumidify, this is really a pub with a room at the back, which is certainly not worth the money that is being ask for a weekend (more expensive than the hilton). and for that kind of money you expect a top class service and confort. this is clearly not the case.
I forgot the wifi didn't work either. and you only will get a third of a toilet paper roll.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple