“Fantastic!”

Ranked #10 of 30 Bridgnorth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am new to this, but I feel as my first ever review I want it to be none other than this restaurant.
We arrived In shropshire last week visiting relatives. Having sampled different restaurants most evenings. We decided to use the Punchbowl as our last and final venue before heading home. We booked a table for Saturday, April 26th at lunch time.

Yes......we clearly left the best until last. We arrived and were greeted by a sweet, smiling face. I believe her name may have been Diana/Donna.
She seated us in a lovely part of the restaurant. Which may I add was beautifully decorated.
I have a disabled husband, and it was lovely to see no steps!
We approached the bar and found another friendly face ready to serve us.
The choice of 'real ales' pleased my husband, which takes a lot.
The gentleman who served him allowed my husband to taste a small sample of each ale before choosing his favourite. This was a lovely touch.
We all decided to go for the carvery, which looked beautifully presented, and even included a 'live aga' this was completely new to us, but an excellent idea!
All food looked fantastic and so fresh!
Again, the young lady who seated us appeared to offer help for my disabled husband, she carried his plate and took his arm to help him back to his seat. This was so generous as I could get mine at the same time. (You have to pay for that kind of service back in London)
The food......I will not use any other words than.....the best carvery we have ever had the pleasure to taste! The flavours and freshness left a mouth watering feeling in my mouth!
When finished, a very Jolly chap cleared our plates. I believe his name was Chris, which may I add is a brilliant idea having the names off staff printed on the work uniform. It makes it easy to praise or complain about that member of staff. All business' should take note of this idea!
Sadly though, to my huge disappointment. I could not manage a pudding after the wonderful main meal.
Overall, this was the perfect venue to end our time in Shropshire!
Lovely, friendly staff, beautiful layout. And amazing food!
I would like you to pass on a huge thank you to Diana, who I believe had only started her first shift that day. (If a new member of staff is trained to that level of customer care, your experienced staff must be a credit to your business) the gentleman behind the bar. And Chris. They made our visit much more comfortable and nothing was ever to much trouble!
Having a disabled husband can often affect days out, but we left this venue on such a high!
Thank you to all, and chefs, you should be very proud! Your carvery is outstanding!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hi there,

Thanks for a great review I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and thank you for taking the time to write a great review. The AGA carvery so far has been a resounding success!

I am really pleased our staff looked after you so well, we do our best to help all our customers with mobility issues.

You put a big smile on Donna's face when I showed this your review to her, and your review has had a great impact on staff morale.

We hope to see you again when visiting Shropshire :)

Kindest regards

Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We visited this pub with friends the staff are very polite and we're very helpful they were very efficient as well. The food was very good we could not find any faults the meat was succulent and the vegetables were perfect.
Although the pub was busy we did not have to wait for meals. The outlay of the pub is great with various sitting areas. We will certainly visit again, the pub is a gem

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hi there,

Thanks for a great review I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, its great you made the effort to dine all the way from Birmingham.

The AGA carvery so far has been a resounding success a lot of people are raving about the carvery since the change.

We hope to see you again and once again thank for a great review

Adam
Essex, Vermont
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The positives : Nice ambience , Great staff , very helpful. Most of all very friendly and welcoming.

Negatives : I quite honestly Don't have one bad thing to say about this place,

The management team defiantly know what there doing 100%
Everyone that is a big fan of meat you must go an try the AGA carvery,
if I lived closer I would defiantly pop in more often, but for now I know were to come when traveling

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for a nice review I am glad your enjoyed the food and service, we hope to see you again soon

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Visited the punchbowl inn on Thursday April 10th we all enjoyed a good lunch, two of us chose the carvery and I chose lasagne,all were very good meals. We paid £7.99 which included a sweet we chose Bailey's cheesecake and profiteroles. We were delighted with the presentation of the sweets and commented to the member of staff. On the first taste I noticed all was not well and we soon found out all the sweets were not good,the fresh cream was 'off' I hate the thought of 'gone off' milk and cream and promptly summons a member of staff we explained the problem,he said nothing,collected the sweets and came back 10 minutes later with replacements,again said not one word!
We felt intimidated and finished the sweets,not enjoying them and promptly left, again a member of staff said nothing to us.
These things happen,I understand, a simply apology would have been great and put us at our ease.
Instead we felt uncomfortable.
On leaving no one spoke to us.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SazBowen
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Trip Advisor Member,

I am really sorry to learn you only had an average experience and you found Gareth (Your waiter 'off hand' with customer service.

I have had the opportunity to fully investigate all versions of events on the lunchtime you dined with us, firstly I can only apologise that the cream was not to your liking it was not gone off I can assure you of that but there was an issue with the batch and I agree that there was an odd taste, the cream was only delivered on the same morning by our reputable supplier, following your comments and internal quality control tasting the whole batch was returned to our supplier.

Again I can only apologise that this product was served and I will personally apologise that you found Gareth rude, I do agree that a simple apology would have been redressed the balance and It is very out of character for Gareth not to apologise?

I am glad you enjoyed your meal, we never want any of our customers to leave our premises feeling uncomortable, this most certainly is not our style, and I am sincerely sorry you felt feeling this way.

If you have the confidence to use Ye Olde Punchbowl again please do not hesitate to personally ask for Charlotte or myself to introduce ourselves and apologise in person, and I can only hope you have a far more enjoyable experience.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times

Bridgnorth
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Visited today for Mother's Day and it was their AGA carvery. I normally dislike carvery meals because they are too ordinary and easy to knock up at home. The Punchbowl Inn, however, has completely reversed ny opinion. The meal was perfect. Plenty of luscious meat, tasty and fresh vegetables, yorkies like my mother used to make and thick homemade gravy. It was gorgeous. We followed this with the cheeseboard which was incredible value. The atmosphere at the Punchbowl was fabulous. We didn't feel rushed and the service was spot on. All in all, a dining experience we loved and we intend to return again and again.....

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a lovely review on our AGA carvery, the positive feedback in recent months has been amazing and trade is increasing, we are proud to be the first ever venue to create this dining concept and we are delighted with the results and positive feedback.

Well we shall take your review as a massive compliment that you have changed your views on carveries, our carvery is extra special as we do cook it in our AGA.

We look forward to welcoming you again and thanks for a great review

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Despite the terrible music playing whilst we ate, despite the awful pictures on the wall, despite the loud wallpaper, despite the fact that that menu referred to us as 'punters' and claimed that the owners were 'in the catering game'(!) the place was exactly what we expected and, perhaps, more so. The food was really excellent, we're both vegetarians and they catered for us even at the carvery. They make little noise about this and really should heighten the fact that the vegetarian food is excellent, especially as the term 'Carvery' may put off most non-carnivores. Service was good (though those slate table-mats need a bit of a scrub!) and the price well below what one might have expected. The verbose menu is funny (not meant to be) and we left fully satisfied. Before going I read the poorest reviewsof the place and was relieved to find that they had been written by the sort of nincompoops found in Fawlty Towers alone. Ignore them, this place is really good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy C
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thanks for a quirky but great review, we are delighted that the food met your expectations, I must admit we have never really highlighted 'Veggie' dishes we offer homemade classic veggie dishes complimented with carvery vegetables or side orders from our menu.

I am sorry you found the decor and music below your personal standard, I am not sure what to say on this? I suppose anyone's taste is different.... I like it though ;)

In terms of the slate mats, we do get comments on this regularly, they are not dirty it is the natural marks in the slate and on some of the slate mats they are worse, I do agree it makes to want to scrub them but this is a natural part of the slate. (If i knew this before purchase I would have reviewed other table mats)

Your last paragraph made the whole team cry of laughter, it's got be one of the best reviews we have read and has restored some faith in Trip Advisor as we are not fans of this public forum as we dont promote TA on any of our marketing or in house.

Once again thanks for a great review we hope you consider using Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn again when in Shropshire

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed over night on the 15th February 2014... We've both fallen in love with the place . Lovely staff very comfortable stay and amazing food. We would recommend this beautiful inn to all our friends and family in future ;)... Thank you for making our weekend special Adam , Charlotte & Chris ! xx

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
PunchbowlInn, Owner at Ye Olde Punchbowl Inn, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Many Thanks for taking the tike to write a lovely review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed dining with us as well.

I hope to see you again and once again thanks for taking the time to write a great review :)

Kindest regards