“Last goodbye”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We have been going to the river and rail for over 1 year now and Saturday night was our last get together gutted I love it great chef Elaine always goes the extra mile for her customers meets and greets 90% when she can bar staff have changed over the year and are nice and polite and waiting staff altho young are on the ball as for dave he will be missed by some and others glad to see him retire I will miss this place and hope where ever the staff go they will enjoy and Elaine if you read this good luck and let us know where you go

2  Thank Elaine D

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Apparently this is a pointless review as we were told that this is the last day this pub will be open under the current management (or perhaps at all). I had very freshly cooked fish and chips and a very nice pint of Hobsons "Twisted Spire", my wife had a very tasty steak and ale pie. The service was friendly and we would have happily gone back.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

On the whole this is a very nice pub with friendly staff.

The food, although a bit pricey, is generally of good quality and during the summer months, it is a very nice place to visit on an evening; and sit outside for either a drink or food.

However, as some contributors have said, Dave is very much "old school" or, as we call him "old scrooge" when it comes to customer service, or lack of. But then again, I suspect he is also of an age where he wants to do other things with his life. Hence, the reason why the pub is currently for sale.

Sadly, if sold to the wrong people, it may no longer be a pub. Therefore, although Dave may be a grumpy bugger, I would really miss him being there; and moreover, the opportunity to sit out on a summer's evening in such pleasant surroundings.

1  Thank adam1504
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Visited the River and Rail on the 5th January 2014 as I was in England from West Wales for 5 days visiting relatives and friends.
We were staying at Bewdley but decided to have a meal on the Saturday evening at the River and Rail as it was midway between my brothers and where we were staying.

I used to live at Hampton Loade until 12 years ago and the River and Rail was my local.

When we arrived there we saw that there was a 2 for 1 on which started at 6pm it was then 5:30pm, we asked for the menu to choose our meals so that we could order at 6pm, the lady in charge informed us that the menu changed at 6pm for the 2 for 1. When the menu came we could all see why, the prices were extortionate almost double the normal menu in some instances.
I was always under the impression that 2 for 1 were off the normal menu for the limited time they were available, 6pm to 9pm in there case.

I can understand why the place was empty as locals can see that they are being ripped off, it was the same when I lived in the hamlet, the time when Dave does great business is when the weather is good and you have visitors to the National Trust and tourists in the area, they are vunerable and need to eat some where.
If Dave used his head and charged reasonable prices he would command the business of the locals, it was the same when it was the Wheel always overpriced and eventually priced himself out of business that's why it changed into a pub.
Wonderful location and a great pub, the food was very tasteful but a pity it was overpriced.

1  Thank geoffwales
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Came across this pub c. 10 months ago and always promised myself I would go back in the summer. Finally, managed a return visit with friends - albeit this time only for drinks. Sat in the sizeable garden taking in the last of the sunshine. Very friendly cat joined us. Great location and the small ferry is conveniently located close by.