“Excellent new owners & atmosphere, friendly staff and great food.”

The River & Rail Country Inn
Ranked #50 of 103 Restaurants in Bridgnorth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Visited the River & Rail on its second open day this year under the new owners and had a very pleasant experience.

There was a great atmosphere, friendly chatty staff and it was nice to see it fairly busy after being shut for so long, the refurbishment and decoration is very impressive and definitely has a 'special occasion' feeling in the Haywain restaurant. However it was a sunny day, so we sat on the lovely sunny terrace to eat our 3-course Sunday dinner.

We had one soup and scallops & black pudding for starters, which were beautifully presented, followed by fish & chips which was also excellently presented with very tasty handmade chips and also had pulled pork with a very tasty and unique 'apple crumble' with a respectable portion of vegetables and additional gravy boat of 'real tasty gravy'.

For deserts we had a chocolate brownie and a banoffee creme brûlée. I really recommend the creme brûlée and was one of the nicest deserts I have had!!

Looking forward to bringing all of my family for my birthday later this month, and also enjoying a canoe trip and a stop off there for lunch!!

2  Thank EERUSS

Reviewed 4 August 2014

3rd August 2014...this business is confused. Got out of the car, where the hell do we go to get a drink, no signage. Found a small bar area, however, eyeline was drawn to what looked like someones lounge, the wall paper and tables made it look like my Mom's front room, realised very quickly that this was probably 'the' restaurant. What sort of restaurant though, was it an Indian restaurant, pub-grub, nothing to distinguish it on first sight. Sat outside with a diet-coke that cost almost £3, tried to sit on the gravel but the plastic chair just slid as its also on a tilt. Sat on the grass at a picnic bench and looked at the property - its very very hard to see a restaurant/pub as it looks like someones private home. Ordered an appetiser of balsamic with oil and breads, the breads were warmed but came out on a slate and had a soggy bottom, not nice, the dish of oil was little more than a thimble.

Would actively avoid going here again due to its confusion, I have to work to hard to enjoy myself and its pricey. We had been to a National Trust property and thought this would be a nice place to eat but we left after the appetisers.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We have been going to the river and rail for over 1 year now and Saturday night was our last get together gutted I love it great chef Elaine always goes the extra mile for her customers meets and greets 90% when she can bar staff have changed over the year and are nice and polite and waiting staff altho young are on the ball as for dave he will be missed by some and others glad to see him retire I will miss this place and hope where ever the staff go they will enjoy and Elaine if you read this good luck and let us know where you go

2  Thank Elaine D
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Apparently this is a pointless review as we were told that this is the last day this pub will be open under the current management (or perhaps at all). I had very freshly cooked fish and chips and a very nice pint of Hobsons "Twisted Spire", my wife had a very tasty steak and ale pie. The service was friendly and we would have happily gone back.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

On the whole this is a very nice pub with friendly staff.

The food, although a bit pricey, is generally of good quality and during the summer months, it is a very nice place to visit on an evening; and sit outside for either a drink or food.

However, as some contributors have said, Dave is very much "old school" or, as we call him "old scrooge" when it comes to customer service, or lack of. But then again, I suspect he is also of an age where he wants to do other things with his life. Hence, the reason why the pub is currently for sale.

Sadly, if sold to the wrong people, it may no longer be a pub. Therefore, although Dave may be a grumpy bugger, I would really miss him being there; and moreover, the opportunity to sit out on a summer's evening in such pleasant surroundings.

1  Thank adam1504