“Delightful find near to the university!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wheelwrights Arms

Wheelwrights Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monkton Combe
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Delightful find near to the university!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We are visiting Bath for the weekend as my daughter is starting her degree at the university.
We found this inn by following a sign from the main road after leaving the uni. What a find this was!
We had a truly lovely meal - I could not fault a thing.
Food was superb, service excellent, and a really nice ambience. We expect to be visiting bath many times over the next three years, and now very happy to be returning as we can look forward to many lovely meals.
After a weekend of average, this really lifted our mood!
And if you are "doing the uni run" this place is only about 3 miles from the campus

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I am torn between being totally truthful about my experience but then again, there definitely is a training need and if it isnt addressed, then other customers will get the same experience as I did.
I discovered the Wheelwrights whilst looking for somewhere to have a cup of tea and was very pleased to have found what looked like a lovely venue in a pretty village. The interior is the classic of the moment, stone, wood and sage green. I asked for tea and biscuits, was told by the young lady serving me there were no biscuits but after thinking she said that perhaps she could get me some of the biscuits they provide in the rooms. But at the same time, she drew my attention to the menu on which I spied an interesting creme brulee served with a homemade shortbread biscuit. Just the job!
She cleared with the kitchen that because of the time of day..late afternoon, they would be able to do me the dessert and I found a seat outside overlooking the hills.
My order total was 9 pounds something but I was looking forward to it.
My tea arrived fairly soon after, served by the same young lady and some while afterwards, my creme brulee arrived, without a homemade shortbread biscuit, in fact, no biscuit at all.
Now, Id paid a lot of money for the whole dessert, not part of it so I called out as she walked away, "Where is the shortbread biscuit?" (not in a grumpy way I hasten to add).
She glanced back and pouted and threw her hair back and continued into the pub. I could hear her talking in an unsympathetic way to my cause to whoever was in the kitchen. Eventually she returned with a packet of Peek Frean shortbread biscuits of the type you might find in the room of b and bs and hotels who charged much less prices for their accommodation than I later found out that this place does. I expressed my displeasure and said that I had paid a lot of money for my dessert and I expected to get exactly what it said. She told me the chef hadnt made fresh biscuits at that time. I told her that I should therefore be compensated in some way, or they could have the Creme brulee back and I would have my money back.
She pouted again and took the Creme brulee away and told me I should have my money back!!!
She also tried to give me only 2% of the VAT back rather than the full amount because she couldnt work that out. She couldnt get the till open to begin with to do so and in her frustration was starting to cry and on handing me my money told me to leave because I was upsetting her.
I apologised for upsetting her and tried to reason with her. The truth was, she was very young and could not see that she had not treated me as a customer should be treated.
If you are in the business of customer service, there are certain rules...the customer is NOT always right, but in this case I was within my rights. Perhaps she will be pleased to know that I will not be returning, but neither will any of my Bath friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Gail T
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Popped in for sunday lunch whilst passing.

Shocked to get the bill and see that they charged £3 for lime and soda (which was really weak). Also they add on service automatically despite having to go to the bar to order and collect your own cutlery.

Other than that the place was quite nice, had roast beef which was fine but probably didn't justify the high price (beef was a cheap cut).

OK food, but very expensive drinks.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 328Helen
WheelwrightsArms, Guest Relations Manager at Wheelwrights Arms, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Hi Helen,

We apologise that you were over charged for your drink. It seems that one of our staff has got it wrong on this occasion. We would be more than happy to refund you the price which should have been £1.50 assuming it was a pint.

Each customer has a different preference to the strength of a cordial, and it can be adjusted easily on request - we dont have a "standard measure"

Apologies once more
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked a long weekend break at The Wheelwrights. First appearances positive - room 1 was a lovely large room and the bed comfy. Bathroom although a good size only had a bath with hand held shower - not so good. A caution to prospective guests: this room faces the entrance to the kitchen and opens onto the car park entrance. There is real potential for noise from outside - not to mention the smokers who congregate around entrance to bar. Room is also noisy from guests in room above - possibly the bare wooden floors amplify the sounds...... Cleaning and servicing of our room was not of a high standard (black mould in bathroom and fluff under bed are really not a good look!) - just seemed to us that there was not not sufficient care and attention to detail given to the important things - nice toiletries and tea making facilities are simply not enough. We enjoyed some good food in the bar during the evenings, but breakfast was only barely average and seemed to use the cheapest of options instead of making best use of locally sourced produce. In all, generally quite disappointing after reading the descriptions of the hotel.

Room Tip: do not choose room 1 !!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lyndoc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We were delighted to spend a few days at the Wheelwrights Arms in June 2013. The Wheelwrights is a pretty country inn in the village of Monkton Combe, about 4 miles outside of Bath... though you could easily imagine you were 100 miles from anywhere (in the best possible sense).

The hospitality of the staff was excellent - from a friendly chat to advice about the best place to park in town. If you do stay here, or even if you are just passing through, I'd recommend getting yourself a table and enjoying some of the excellent food and drink that they have on offer. This is no cheap pub grub, but definately worth every penny.

The rooms are a fair size and modern/rustic in design, in keeping with the setting and fabric of the old buildings.

We'd definately stay here again, though there were two small areas that I hope will have been altered in the future - the poor shape of the pillows (i'm fussy like that) and the odd absence of a shower hook. Otherwise, all very good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stopped here for a lunchtime snack while on a walk. We ordered ciabatta with smoked salmon and dill mayonnaise. No ciabatta, just baguette. The salmon was fine but needed a magnifying glass to see the dill mayonnaise. We had some dessert - I had lime and blueberry creme brûlée. Couldn't taste any lime and there were two blueberries. Overall the food tasted good but overrated for the price. On top we were charged 10% service charge. Didn't find the service friendly, looked at us like we were something he had stepped in. Obviously this is a fancy place for the well-to-do. We won't be going back anytime soon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travair
Sussex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We had an evening meal in the pub and a lunch in the garden, both were very tasty. The evening meal was really delicious and as it happened we all had different fish which we all agreed was cooked to perfection which is unusual. The lunch was less grand but just as good. I would definitely go back. Be aware though you are paying top end pub prices this is not a cheap evening out, including drinks we paid £40 a head

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#8 of 34 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,040 reviews
Bailbrook House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel

Been to Wheelwrights Arms? Share your experiences!