Wheelwrights Arms
US$133
US$273
US$253
Agoda.com
The Abbey Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$239
US$461
Dukes Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$217
Official Site
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa(Hinton Charterhouse)
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Room Service
HotelQuickly
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat sunday lunchpub with roomslovely pubbath areashower headlarge bathroomgreat roomquiet locationthoroughly enjoyed our stayweekend breakcomfortable roomcar parkfull englishteasensuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Me and my partner booked this hotel on a last minute website as we thought it looked nice. On arrival our room was lovely, nice and private. However, when looked in the bar menu in the room we were disgusted at the prices of the food. My advice is to take a short drive into Bath, which is what we did and thoroughly enjoyed it.
In the morning, we were woken up by a phone call to ask us if we were going down for breakfast, which we did. I ordered a bacon sandwich and my partner had a full English. They were handed to us by the manager, David, as if he didn't want us to be there. He threw my plate down, served another table and then through my partners down. Our pot of tea was cold, as well as the breakfast. The manager hovered over us the entire time we were eating so we couldn't have a conversation or even relax. He asked us if we wanted to stay another night and we politely declined as we were coming home that day. He then asked the couple next to us, who were from Sweden, and when they were unsure, he completely disregarded us. He was trying desperately to sell them the room, it was actually quite embarrassing. After all this, we went to pay for our room, when he said to his colleague to serve us. It was disgusting the way we were treated by him, so no, I would not recommend this hotel whilst he is still in change.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Tori901
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Smart and friendly. Booked for us through the Waterhouse Hotel. Would recommend it for other travellers. Friendly and attentive staff for whom service was the key point.
Menu was broad enough to have something for everybody but small enough for them to concentrate on what they were good at.
Both of us had the 'frito misto' which was excellent. Light batter on chunky vegetables. Enough for a meal in itself. The main meals were sirloin steak for my wife and battered fish for me both served with home made chips. Tasty and filling. We will definitely go back when we are next in Bath
Make sure you know where you are going when trying to find it. Easy when you know how but we ended up in the school car park next door to start with!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

And food! Stopped of here on a Saturday wander through the two tunnels and back to Bath along the canal towpath. Last time I came here it was rather run down but that was so e twenty years ago.

I had heard it had been refurbished and that is certainly true. The menu is extensive for a small rural pub and our food was great. A small but decent range of beers complimented our meal. Pretty sure we will return for an evening meal sometime soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I always have a couple of nights away over the February half term to go walking and the location of the Wheelwright Arms is in a truly stunning location so we were happy with first impressions. This was unfortunately where our positivity ended, our room (number 7) was tired, dirty, the bathroom door wouldn't lock, the quilt had a hole in it and it the room smelt damp. The food in the restaurant was poor, and the drone of Jazz music almost intolerable. The images on their website are very clever and in reality this establishment is nothing like the images depicted. Noise really travels in the rooms and we were awoken by a screaming child at 6am a few rooms away.
The most disappointing aspect of our visit had to be the dismissive, arrogant attitude of the guy who we checked out with. We broached the subject of the £145 per night we had been charged when the price per room was now being advertised on their websites home page for £79 per night to be told that it could be compared to airline travel prices and the price can come down nearer the booking time.
The Wheelwright Arms is most definitely not worth spending your hard earned cash on and we left feeling ripped off. Would not recommend at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean one
2  Thank 590Paul
WheelwrightsArms, Guest Relations Manager at Wheelwrights Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into the issue of the cleanliness of the room and apologise if it wasn't up to our usual high standards. As always, if you had let us know during your stay, it could have been remedied immediately.

Regarding the price, I am afraid that in reality, this is how it works! When we have rooms left to sell for the coming week (or 2 weeks) we drop our prices to fill up. Currently we are advertising reduced rates until the end of February. This unfortunately does not mean that we will charge all of our booked guests the last minute price, or the point would be defeated! To book in advance guarantees you a room, and if you wait until the week before to book, you may get a cheaper price, however we may be fully booked.

All of our bedrooms are pictured individually on our website and were taken last year. I am unsure how else we could present them.

The management Team

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in Feb, because of the great reviews.
The room was dirty, dusty, had cobwebs and the fan in the bathroom was full of dust, the skirting boards had hair and dust and cannot have been cleaned for ages....( I took photos). Being typical Brits we didn't say anything as the staff didn't really seem to give a damn, (apart from one waitress Kim, who was excellent, as I had to send my meal back due to it being soooooo salty it was inedible. She was very apologetic and professional. The sink in the bathroom was falling away from the side! I am not going to spend my valuable holiday time moaning....that's what trip advisor is for....as for under the bed, well there was a super thick layer of dust.....not acceptable at all for £100 per night.
As we walked into the restaurant on Valentines night we were asked at the door if we would like a glass of champagne or prosecco and we thought what a lovely gesture, so we said yes and later of course found the charge of £12.00 on the bill for 2 glasses of prosecco? Having been told that morning at breakfast that they don't rip people off by upping their prices just because it's valentines...we felt very ripped off!
Needless to say we will never return there and would not recommend it either.

3  Thank nandd2