“Missed the Mark”

Fennel
Ranked #2 of 62 Restaurants in Inverurie
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: European, British, Soups, Scottish
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Wonderful restaurant that has increasing poularity and a loyal and chic customer base. High standards and great food.
“Missed the Mark”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I am a big fan of Fennel in Inverurie, so when I heard they are doing bar suppers on a friday night- I couldn't wait to try it out.
We were met by a lovely waitress and showed to our table, I ordered a lovely prosecco cocktail.
I ordered the chicken cakes and sweet chilli dip, my partner had the mushrooms. My chicken cakes were tough, chewy and almost inedible- and the tiny dribble of dipping sauce served didn't suffice.
We both then ordered the scampi, with homemade chips. The scampi was not scampi, it was huge chunks of monkfish which were dry and far too much food on the plate. The homemade chips were lovely.
Disappointed as I love this restaurant normally-- I will be back but not for the pub menu.

• Visited May 2013
willptb, Owner at Fennel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Hi, thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it in all forms. The first thing to say of course is sorry you didn't enjoy this Fennel experience, I promise it has been discussed with the team and lessons learned as far as possible. With that in mind I'd really like to understand a couple of things to help us see were we are going wrong.

1. The 'Scampi' description says clearly 'breaded monkfish' - as much of the bar menu has these tongue in cheek descriptions, is that the problem?

2. A serious question about this forum and how it is used - it would be remiss of me not to note that despite many previous enjoyable visits - you have only posted this review of us. Obviously it is regrettable that the motivation to review only occurs after an unusual bad experience. Could this be a service thing? Perhaps not enough opportunity to give feed back directly, prompting you to resort to this method?

Of course the most important thing is we are genuinely sorry to let you down but understanding these specific issues would really help us to improve and I hope we can discuss at some point so lessons can really be learned. Thank you.

Scotland
“A really pleasant evening!”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Visited Fennels for the first time a couple of days ago and what a gem it turned out to be!
My wife and I were treating a special friend and we had a really good evening! Great food, very good and friendly service and a great ambience for an evening out!
It was a Friday evening and there was a bar supper offer on of two courses for £15 and also an excellent 'a la carte' menu as well. Neither menus were extensive but there was a good selection of fare and plenty of choice.
We had a wide selection of meat, chicken and fish, along with a nice bottle of Merlot - and everything was simply excellent!
In spite of the restaurant being very busy with several groups, the welcome we received was very friendly, as was the service throughout the evening. We were not rushed at all, in spite of being very busy and yet the food arrived in good time and the staff extremely friendly and helpful.
The ambience was great for an evening out, with candles and tables not too close together - and tables for different numbers of people all over the room. There was both a downstairs and an upstairs dining area. We were upstairs and it was lovely!
The bill was very reasonable for what we had had and we all thoroughly enjoyed the evening. We will certainly be back again!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Tankerman2013
“Three times too many”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have been to Fennel 3 times. Once with work colleagues for a lunch, once with friends for dinner and once with my husband for lunch. If anyone suggests Fennel now I say "Oh no not there". Poor service, mediocre food, uncomfortable chairs. I don't know why anyone would care to return. I never badly rate a place on first visit, even if it is poor, because they could be having a 'off day', but that's 3 times now and as I said three times too many.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank catherine w
“Girls night out”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Had an enjoyable meal last week, service very good, also food. Good atmosphere in the restaurant, which was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday night.

• Visited April 2013
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Pleased as ever”
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Having moved away from Inverurie 3 years ago, when the chance arrives to visit again, it s nice to return to an old haunt. Fennels was always a favourite and reading some recent reviews I was a little concerned, but should not have been. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We will return

Visited April 2013