“Disappointingly average”

Ranked #2 of 66 Restaurants in Inverurie
Price range: US$11 - US$37
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Wonderful restaurant that has increasing poularity and a loyal and chic customer base. High standards and great food.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We visited Fennel on the recommendation of a relative who is presently working in the Aberdeen area who raved about it.

When I called to book, I was very impressed with the owner who took the call. Very polite and asked questions to ensure the visit fitted our needs. This gave me a good feeling.

On arrival, we were met by the owner and showed to our table. The decor within is clearly fresh and new, as are the seating arrangements. And here lies a problem. We were seated at a table with bench seats down either side. These benches have seat cushions embedded in the centre but the wood edge is exposed and really very uncomfortable as it digs into your thighs. I'd guess the owner has never sat in one of these for over an hour as it cuts off the circulation to your legs after a while. And the seat back is bolt upright! A case of style over substance.

But we're not there to eat the decor, what about the food. Sadly, again, average. My starter of scallops was excellent, my wife had goats cheese tartlet that looked like a shop bought slice of quiche and was rubbery and unpleasant. My wife then had a ribeye which she said was great, I had honey glazed duck which was uninspiring. The mash was "gloopy" and I got precisely three slices of duck which, whilst well cooked, lacked flavour. We both finished with passion fruit posset and I'm glad to say we enjoyed that course very much. But the food overall was very average.

The staff are excellent, our server (apologies, forgot your name) was very polite and made us feel really welcome, as did the owner when we met him at the door.

Overall, we left with full bellies but a feeling of mild disappointment. And to cap it all, I had a headache from the band of women who sat in the corner near the door, got very drunk, and VERY loud indeed.

3  Thank Aleximo1965

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The Fennel is a fantastic restaurant, it has great atmosphere, and the service was amazing. Food was delicious. Best restaurant in Inverurie by far, quite expensive but worth the money.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our daughter and future son-in-law became engaged at Fyvie Castle and we chose Fennel to have our celebratory meal. The food was beautiful and every course was lovely. Fantastic atmosphere and the restaurant was buzzing. The service was very good with attention to detail. Because we were a party of 11 we were sent the menu via email and asked to pre order. We did not have to wait for our food and can highly recommend the scallops and the haddock, although the steaks looked amazing too.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Fennel, and I'll definitely be back. The food and service were top notch, and the atmosphere was excellent. Thanks to the staff for making us feel as though we were the most important customers in the restaurant, although I believe they would make the other customers feel the same

Reviewed 8 July 2014

First time at the restaurant with a group of friends. Sat near the door downstairs. Smaller than I was expecting but very warm and friendly. Good service, very attentive, not sure if it was the owner who kept checking everything was satisfactory. Seafood linguine was absolutely fantastic, only had one course due to the generous portion. Prices very good. The others had steak and fish and they all looked amazing. Would definitely come back the next time I'm in Aberdeen.