“Genuine Thai food - I think not !”
Review of Sabai

Sabai
Ranked #18 of 66 Restaurants in Inverurie
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We had dinner at Sabai, Inverurie on Valentines Day 2014 based on the recommendation of a colleague, first sitting (to vacate by 8pm). The timing didn't bother us as we were only interested in enjoying a nice Thai meal.

Firstly I would say that we have been travelling in Thailand for the last 25 years on a bi-annual basis and have stayed in Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Phuket and haev a property in Koh Samui. I also cook Thai food, so I think I can fairly judge the Thai cuisine.

On arrival we were seated by a non-welcoming Chinese waiter. The Thai waitress (the only Thai we met) welcomed us at our table and took our drink order. We spoke to her in Thai which she was delighted to hear and we ordered 2 Mai Thai cocktails. She came back 2 minutes later and apologised and said the waiter that makes the cocktails was not available that evening. We were surprised and disappointed as we thought cocktails would be popular on Valentines night so we ordered a Singa Beer and Gin & Tonic instead. 5 minutes later 2 cocktails appeared at the table so we had to cancel the beer and G&T.

Then a gruff older male waiter (Chinese) handed us the menu and I was truly shocked. 99% of the meals were Chinese dishes and numbered like a Chinese Takeaway menu. There were far too many choices for a quality restaurant, pages and pages. I was struggling to find anything Thai that I liked. I ordered in Thai and the waiter just asked "what number is it?, Show me Number". No smile. Nothing. I ordered the squid with dipping sauce and Chicken and Holy Basil with sticky rice. The squid was like typical Chinese squid and the dipping sauce was the highlight. The Chicken with Holy Basil tasted nothing like any chicken I've ever eaten (typical Chinese rubbery non-descript chicken) and was swimming in what I can only guess was an Oyster Sauce. No Holy Basil at all on the plate - not one piece and it looked and tasted just like a Chinese takeaway. My husband had the Tom Yum Goong soup which had 2 tiny cheap shrimps and not very spicy. He was so disappointed in his pineapple rice dish that he left it after tasting 2 mouthfuls.

Service was painfully slow throughout and an hour between starter and main courses. We very nearly left 45 minutes after the starter when the main course stilll hadn't arrived.

We were so hacked off that we didn't even ask for the sweet menu, called the bill and left with no tip. The bill came to £75 and we left no tip. Our departure was greeted in the same cold way as our arrival (certainly not from the Land of Smiles then .... )

We will definately not go back nor would we recommend it you want a genuine Thai meal.

6  Thank fraskari

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Our second visit and not disappointed, lovely fresh, clean food, beautifully presented and served with a smile. So nice to have a restraunt like this in Inverurie. We shall be back soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

The restaurant is pretty good, but please note the contact number given on the Sabai Inverurie TripAdvisor page is actually for their restaurant in Aberdeen. The number for the Inverurie Sabai is 01467 623003, while 01224 636882 as given in the description above is for Sabai Aberdeen. This should be corrected otherwise there is the risk of booking a table in the wrong restaurant.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Booked a table with 3 friends, we were a bit Late but this was no problem. Menu was mouthwatering along with the food. Hot, full of flavour...... Amazing! Service was good, and made a difference that the staff were actually Thai. I've been to Thailand many times and love it, it was like being back there. Prices were reasonable. Will definitely be back. Thank you for coming to Inverurie! See you again very soon.

1  Thank foreveralways
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Dined at Sabai on a Wednesday night so no need to book but it was still busy. The restaurant is "compact & bijou" and, although the food was good, I would have to say it was very expensive. I also felt dizzy due to the decor as it was like being in an aquarium. Can't complain about the service:friendly and we didn't feel as if we were being rushed. I wouldn't not return but it would have to be for a special occasion to justify the spend.

1  Thank MrsShoob