“Enjoyable experience”

Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Burntisland
Price range: US$11 - US$22
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Friendly helpful staff, good food, pleasant surroundings.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having not been at the Sands Hotel for a considerable time we were looking for some place to take an American visitor to have a nice meal in pleasant surroundings. We opted for the high tea menu and were not disappointed, very friendly staff looked after all our needs, the three different main courses ordered were, steak pie, chicken curry and lemon chilli chicken and all were very good. The were plenty of choices on the menu including a good selection of vegetarian dishes if required. To finish off with tea or coffee and a good selection of cakes. If you have not been here before it is well worth a visit I'm sure you wont be disappointed, but remember it is advisable to book a table as it can be very busy. Prices are reasonable not any dearer than similar type restaurants.

2  Thank peterkirkcaldy

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The girls had decided to meet up in Kirkcaldy for a friends birthday lunch not thinking it was Father's Day so we would need to book a table.... The 3 places we tried turned us away but thankfully a friend thought about phoning the sands, I had been before and always enjoyed it so I was relieved to hear they could squeeze the 5 of us at a table. There were lots of vegetarian options, in fact I was spoilt for choice but opted for the vegetarian lasagne which was amazing!! We all enjoyed a main meal and an equally delicious dessert. The staff were all very friendly and the service was good despite the restaurant being busy.

1  Thank Louise B
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lovely hotel, friendly staff, food very good. I would definitely stay again. Great views across the Forth from room

1  Thank Ian M
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Had an 80th Birthday party here for my Gran tonight and unfortunately it was not a great experience.
You know you're off to a bad start when you ask the waitress what the "home made soup" is and she doesn't know! That's surely a basic... It turned out to be bacon and potato chowder which I'm told was under seasoned and a strange texture. The prawn cocktail looked awful too. The potato wedges with garlic dip were actually quite good, which lulled me into a false sense of security. Along came the mains and wow, just wow - not in a good way! Tiny portion of haggis, overcooked turnip and instant mash - not a good standard but nothing compared to the so called chicken curry - RANK! The sauce had a skin on it and the "meat" was rock hard. Completely unacceptable. The haddock and chips looked microwaved with frozen veg. Desserts were so so but absolutely no attempt at presentation all just lumped on a plate and the pouring cream at the side of my chocolate fudge cake was unusable as it looked and smelled off.
The staff are scruffy and disorganised - not difficult to note who has ordered what rather than standing in the corner shouting "who's for fish and chips" it was very disappointing.
The actual function room is a reasonable size and the hotel has plenty of parking, but after tonight I'm in no hurry to ever eat there again.

2  Thank KFR88
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice pub atmosphere if you like that, but plenty of other rooms for a more formal setting. Good food with good choices (I tend to have a childs portion) not a big eater. Nice staff, very helpful. I tend to eat here a lot when in Burntisland. Easy to reach, just off the main road and large car park at the back.

2  Thank berniebunny29