“turkey and tinsel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Selkirk, United Kingdom
“turkey and tinsel”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is our 4th time at nethybridge 4days db/b plus entertainment as well our room was neat and tidy clean towels everyday heating on all day and night had to turn radiators off at night the staff are very friendly and helpful breakfast was what ever you ordered you ate meals in the evening was very good too. sean the barman was friendly and very chatty will be back here we love the old style and decor much nicier than your premier lodges

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 007kevin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I planned to stay in this hotel prior to a friends wedding in Aviemore. My partner and I arrived with apprehension, having glimpsed the tired facade of this hotel. We had booked through Booking.com and had ben led to belive that the hotel was 3*, this was a very energetic stretch of the imagination.
Once we had checked in to the reception (littered with helpful handmade signs, in an array of microsoft fonts and colour a la someone who has newly discovered fonts and colours, all cheerfully dog-eared and stained), we headed for our room. The bed just about fitted in, with its sad, threadbare tartan bed spread, but it was touching 3 walls, and required gymnastics to reach the bathroom.
There were chips out of the bath, and a ring left by a previous bather, not even the handy bowl-side telephone or built in speakers, could improve on the disaster of a window-less bathroom.
The table lamp, that greedily occupied the whole table was stained beyond comprehension, people had been smoking recently in the room, given away by the tell-tale ou du cancer and fag butts in the gutters outside the single glazed window.
I couldn't stay. Was it the crumblin water damaged ceiling? the peeling wallpaper? scuffed walls and inumerous stains? We will never know.
When I approached reception and its professional signage for the second tie within 5 minutes, the rude lady behind the desk did not even bat an eye as I handed back my key and simply stated that I wouldn't stay. She did tell me that all the rooms are the same, I'm not sure what she hoped to achieve by this comment.
Simply put this hotel was mis-sold. Like asking for a sirloin and getting doner meat.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank L0lli

Travellers are raving about these Nethy Bridge hotels

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Yes, Okay, the hotel is a little tired and it's been a long time since I saw a lift with the gates that you have to close manually but it hits the mark in terms of it's target market. I was in a party of 8 blokes staying 2 nights for a golf break. Other guests appeared to include coach trippers and a car club so apart from my group there was no one visibly under pensionable age.
Twin rooms were a good size and beds very comfortable. Bathroom, with shower over bath, was spacious and clean.
The food was of a reasonably good standard for the price and the numbers of people the hotel had to cater for. There were some serious "eaters" in my group and they didn't complain! We weren't there for the cuisine to be honest. Drinks were reasonably priced as well.
So it's not the most luxurious place you will ever stay in but it does the job and the staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SonoftheDesert
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed one night with group of 66 from Indonesia. We received warm welcome and very helpful reception. A good place to experience "Scot" style village accommodation. Personally I love the silent in the evening...so quite.... and its amazing for me who came from a big noisy city : )

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gregorius S
Scotland
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed at Nethy Bridge during the Abernethy Highland games weekend of 12 August.
Stayed in Room 223 facing the beautiful gardens at the front.
Room was warm,clean with fresh laundry as and when required.Excellent breakfast and 3 course meal with tea and coffee every evening.This cost us the grand sum of £129 per adult and £62 per child for three nights.Excellent value as far as I am concerned.
To the reviewers who are giving poor reviews I would say what on earth are you looking for giving the money you are paying.Go elsewhere in Scotland and you will pay three times this much and not have half the time you will have at the Nethy Bridge.
We have stayed here at various seasons during the years and have never been disappointed and I can assure you we are very, very fussy.
If you want to be well looked after and have a relaxing hoilday in beautiful surroundings then come here.If not then go elsewhere and leave it to the people who enjoy it and come back time and time again!
Also dogs are welcome at the hotel.we have a dog and take her with us.Dogs are not allowed in any of the public rooms and this is adhered to.I dont really understand if people have dog allergies then the would come to a hotel where dogs are welcome!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kittenface
carnoustie
Reviewed 22 August 2011

the room was what we booked .everything was as stated the food was very good. it is also a good location for days out in the area .

Room Tip: upgrade to club rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alan t
Edzell
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Tired, rundown and so needing upgrading. Paid for dinner, bed and breakfast, the dinner was okay if you like 70's style food (prawn cocktail, black forest gateau and the like), breakfast fine, coffee awful. The bed was dreadful, complained, changed rooms, the next one was slightly better. When we arrived there was no water as the main was burst, when I asked if any provision had been made for the rooms I was told there was water for sale in the bar, can't say this ticked my customer service button. Overall the staff were pleasant and friendly, the hotle was reasonably clean but there gets to a stage that fabrics are so old they smell. My daughter was perplexed by the curved screen TV as she had never seen one before, nearly antique. Fire alarm sounded twice on our second night with no apology. Very dog friendly which is great if you are not allergic to animal hair which my family are, so no ticks for that either. I was also disappointed on observing how International customers were treated. There was a lack of explaination of how things worked, not everyone speaks perfect English and a little bit of extra time may have to be spent with these guests to assist them. I work in the Tourist industry and was generally horrified that this was the image of Scotland. The Hotel is busy, so why no investment? Tips - Do visit Nethy Bridge as it is beautiful and the locals lovely.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge
Muckrach Country House Hotel
Muckrach Country House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to Nethybridge Hotel? Share your experiences!