We were won over with the look of the place from the outside - grand hotel in a small Scottish village - we thought we'd found a great hotel at a bargain price.
The problem is once you go inside this place you realise it's not been looked after for many many years.
- Hallway light did not work (had to find bedroom in the dark)
- No lock on the inside of door of room (just had to hope they didn't accidentally walk in on us!)
- All the carpets in room and hallways were really past it - looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years.
- The TV was at least 25 years old, a big style TV that only got snow filled pictures.
- Room was freezing, just had one electric heater in the corner of the room, no central heating or aircon.
We also paid £21.99 each for a three course meal at the very grand restaurant. This was a huge mistake! The grand restaurant also doubles up as a side entrance to the pub, so we got to sit and watch as people wandered through the restaurant going to/from the pub.
The food was also terrible, I ordered the roast lamb, however what arrived was a few slices of meat covered thick in a brown sauce. The desert of apple pie was clearly shop bought and all the starters seemed to be deep fried.
We then went down for breakfast at 8am the next day, on a Sunday, where breakfast is only served between 8am - 9.30am and had to wait as the food was not yet ready for 15 mins. We were told that we had already been allocated a table (everyone must sit at the same table always!) so we could not choose one by the window even though the hallway was near empty.
Overall a really disappointing stay. The staff were friendly, but you got a sense they were not aware of how bad the place was, and they were not being told to carry out the basic check you would expect in a hotel (lights work, carpets are clean etc.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Nethybridge Hotel hotel is a splendid Victorian building nestled in the Cairngorm Mountains. All rooms have en suite bathrooms, hairdryer, television, telephone and tea and coffee making facilities. The hotel benefits from a lift to all floors. WiFi is free in all Public Areas as well as in Superior Room and all rooms when booking direct with the hotel. Guests arriving by car can take advantage of the free onsite car park. The beautiful gardens are the ideal place to relax in. The games room is available whatever the weather. The Abernethy Restaurant specialises in Scottish dishes using fresh produce. There is a selection of fine wines available to accompany each meal. The bar and lounge has a bar snack menu and a selection of Scottish whiskies. The nearby River Spey is filled with salmon making it a perfect location for angling enthusiasts. The Cairngorn Mountains are often snow covered making skiing possible. The Strathspey Steam Railway is also worth a visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Nethybridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nethybridge Hotel Nethy Bridge, Scotland