“Good points, bad points and no French toast”
Review of Nethybridge Hotel

Nethybridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nethy Bridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good points, bad points and no French toast”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip in April 2014. From the outside the building oozes Victorian character and conjures up images of Queen Vic, John Brown and haggis hunts in the heather; just what many people come to Scotland for, as it's generally not to get a sun tan. The warm open fire inside the reception area is a great start to the interior and reception area and the leather seats make a great spot to use the Wifi in comfort. It is obvious there have been many periods of renovations throughout the history of the building, but many look completely out of place with the Victorian building.

Some of the carpets in the heavy-traffic areas, stairs and corridors, do look pretty threadbare and could do with being replaced. Likewise, some of the paint in the public areas could do with a refresh. The room I was in was clean and comfortable, although the tv looked to be from the 1980's and I couldn't get it to work. The shower blasted out lots of hot water at high pressure and was a delight to use after a long day.

At breakfast, after a bit of a wait for any waiting staff to appear, I had asked for French toast. Not a complicated thing to make or requiring any more ingredients that would be available to anyone cooking the first meal of the day in a hotel. I was told, after some time waiting for a reply, which the chef wasn't prepared to make this. Had the dining area been thronging with starving people from every room the hotel, I would have appreciated the breakfast staff may have been a bit stretched and so I wouldn't have asked, but, as there were precisely 8 people in the room, including myself, I had hoped the hotel was a little less stuck in the attitudes of Scottish hotel of yesteryear. Apparently not. On the plus side, the orange juice was pretty palatable. The second morning I didn't even bother going in for breakfast as I had bough my own oranje juice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank El_Scallipo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Helsingoer, Denmark
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel has had its peak years ago! Today this former country hotel appears delapidated and very dirty. It needs a good scrub every where. However, the staff are very friendly and charming, and in spite of the run down scenery, we had a good stay. I guess the hotel need a total makeover, with new fittings and fixtyres, refurbishment and the whole shebang.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sune M
Louise H, Director of Sales at Nethybridge Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review. It is an old building that we are refurbishing in stages but this does take time. However, we do take cleanliness very seriously so I am troubled/confused to read your review. I am glad you found the staff friendly and we will take your review on board as we do with all feedback. Kind regards.

Travellers are raving about these Nethy Bridge hotels

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We knew what we were getting, but not a lot of effort to improve. Same old food, entertainment etc. with a bit more oomph and effort this could be a much improved experience. I understand that it would cost a fortune to upgrade fabric, but as long as it is clean and comfortable the food better, a welcome and better entertainment could improve your stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting a review. Your feedback is very important and we will take your points on board. We do expect some changes to happen later in the year/next year in terms of the product we are providing and we hope you will stay with us again in the future and experience these changes. Thank you again.
england
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is the third time that we have stayed for this Classic Car weekend. Thank you to Robert and all the staff for looking after us! Last year we took a Guide Dog puppy of 5 months that we were puppy walking. Everyone helped in his socialising and training ( he is well on the way to qualifying as a guide dog, now) and the weekend was a success. This year, as usual, had themed evenings and trips and a great time was had by all.

Room Tip: In the process of upgrading rooms so some may be tired.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank veryblondelicious
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We always have a great weekend with you and we cannot wait to see you again next year hopefully. Best wishes.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner and I decided to stop into the Nethybridge Hotel for a game of pool and a drink after a long day. We drove by and saw a few groups of people sat in the bar so went and parked the car. This was roughly about 10:45pm and we entered through the back door of the hotel.

After a quick trip to the bathroom we went through to the bar to get a couple of drinks. No sign of anybody serving behind the bar. I told my partner to go back through to the room where the pool tables were, and set up and I would wait at the bar for drinks. The bar area was mostly filled with loud men and women swearing and staggering about, not giving any thought to others.

After about 10 minutes a woman and man appeared through said back door, i'm assuming she was the duty manager, and said to my partner 'we're actually shut but you can have that one game then you need to go' then came back through to the bar and said to me 'We're shut!' Not the most polite way to say no to potential paying customers. Not that it bothered the woman, she didn't care by that point because it became apparent that it was time for her to pour her own drink and sit down with her half a dozen or so colleagues that were gathered in the bar also having drinks after we had been told no.

Clearly one rule for staff and another for paying customers.

I know we were late in arriving, but if you drive by a hotel and see people sat in the bar you assume they're open. And if they're not open you would expect somebody to be in the bar/lounge area to inform you of this politely.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Semawe
Thank you for posting about your experience at the Public Bar. Any customer should be able to receive an alcoholic drink up to 11pm. The individual concerned has now been spoken to. There is no excuse for bad practice and I, and the Manager, can only apologise for the terribly poor service you received on this occasion.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel - we only had a drink at the pub. Our friends and I agreed that this was the worst pub we've encountered in the UK. Despite being in a hotel that looks impressive from the outside, it smelt of urine and the tables in the bar and restaurant next door looked rather dirty. We had originally planned to eat there but were out off by the dirt, smell and also the barman whose appearance and manor were rather off putting.

We ended up eating at the Mountview hotel which is about 100m up the hill. They were pricier but were in another world there in terms of service and cleanliness. I suspect the food was way better too given the previous reviews of this place. It's a shame as this place could easily attract more trade if it was more professional and cleaner.

Judging by the amount of coach parks out the back this place relies a lot on cheap coach tours - it reminds me of that TV documentary "The Grovesnor" set in Torquay, except this place looks a lot worse.

Room Tip: Avoid the pub.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank patrick0_london
I am sorry to read your review/first impression report on the Public Bar at the hotel. I am surprised about the smell as the toilets are not too near the bar(s) and we have not had this problem before. We have asked maintenance to have a look for any leaks. We are aware that some refurbishment needs to take place and steps are/have being taken to improve this since your review. I do hope you will stop in again in the future. Best wishes.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the second night of our tour of Scotland. Received a very warm welcome from all the staff and the front of the building is very imposing and impressive. Rooms are a bit tired and functional and wifi only worked downstairs in the lobby / lounge area. The evening meal was ok, breakfast average.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. Feedback is very important to us and we take all your points on board, good and not so good. I hope you had a nice tour of Scotland and you will stay with us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nethy Bridge
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Ben Mhor Hotel
Ben Mhor Hotel
#8 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to Nethybridge Hotel? Share your experiences!