“Outdated”
Review of Stonewall Inn B&B

Stonewall Inn B&B
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Beautiful yard and surrounding area, but outdated furniture,electronics, decor, and building. No cable or satellite but free wifi connection. Check out time at 8 so no time to sleep in and relax. Breakfast consisted of toast and eggs with orange juice or coffee. Not so much a great time. Very boring!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank LC420
ianymike, Owner at Stonewall Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

I am sorry that you thought out decor outdated, but the theme of our interior is late 50's and early 60's modern, with the suite done in Art Deco, ( all bathrooms were built or renovated 8 years ago) as with all period interiors it takes time and effort to acheive and not always to everyones personal tastes. I do however, wish to correct ( Three )errors in your review, One ..we do have cable tv in all of our guest rooms since we opened 8 years ago, as well as dvd players, but you are correct we do not have satellite tv, and thank you for commenting on our free and unlimited wifi, I hope that it was usefull to you . Two.. Our breakfast consists of a selection of cerals on the buffet ( unlimited), invidual fresh fruit platters, and toast, eggs, sausauges, with orange juice, complimented with unlimited tea, coffee and a choice of three condiments, blueberry jam, partridge jam, and orange marmalade.Our breakfast menue is and has been posted on our website for many years. If you had a lesser breakfast that that just outlined it was by your own choice. Three... Our check out time is 10: AM it is posted on our website and also posted on the doors in every guestroom, and with requests we have always extended the check out time to accommodate individual guests requirements. I am saddened that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us, and can only wish that the next place you stay will be more to your liking .

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I have stayed at the Stonewall Inn at least four times over the past six years or so. I work in the hospitality industry, and have been fortunate to stay at many establishments throughout Canada and western Europe. Stonewall Inn ranks a 4-star Canada Select rating, and deserves it! It is not overwhelmed with things, and doesn't have a stuffy, fussy decor. It is what mid-century modern design and comfort is all about...clean, uncluttered, neat and tidy. I've stayed in all of their rooms at one point or another, and the accommodations are excellent. The Nina room has a superb expanse of windows and a small balcony that is flooded with light in the mornings. It's a great place to wake up!

The breakfast is lovely as well. There was a variety of breakfast options, both hot and cold, each came served with assorted fresh fruit. Fantastic!

The landscape surrounding the Inn is well kept. I can see why the locals have their wedding pictures taken here! From a plateau on the back lawn, you can sit quietly and gaze out over the manicured property to the ocean beyond. It's very peaceful and relaxing! I keep telling the owner that he needs to put a small deck on the back lawn for guests to unwind and enjoy the landscape and seascape!

When I've asked about what to see and do locally, the host is quick to point out a wide variety of attractions and activities, and has even walked with me to a local pebble beach nearby so I wouldn't get lost. (Sometimes direction finding off the beaten track is not my strongest skill...)

I would definitely recommend Stonewall Inn as a place to stay. Each of my visits has been really enjoyable!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stayed here with a friend but it would be a lovely place for couples. Ask for the Nina room as we enjoyed the room and balcony. The bed was super comfy and we had a pleasant sleep here with the windows open. It is very clean and inviting. We were happy to have the wi-fi. We had our route planned out but Ian, the inn owner has lots of great recommendations. We enjoyed our breakfast and chatting with our fellow inn guests. If you stay here, please visit the Grumpy Goat Gallery...it was so worth it and very close to the inn. The art is wonderful and the ladies that do the art and run the place are great as well and there is a magnificent view across from the gallery.

Room Tip: Ask for the Nina Room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Whole place is out of date! Breakfast is horrible! Not 3 course meal. Cereal, fruit plate then cold eggs and sausage! Owner doesn't stop talking and leave guest's alone! Found him to be very rude! No view of Ocean...its look through trees and stand up and maybe have a peak at it! Nothing to do in Spaniards Bay go to Bay Roberts and stay at hotel! No way is this a 4 star its more like a 1 Star if that!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
ianymike, Owner at Stonewall Inn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

I am forced to respond to this review as it is completely inaccurate. For some reason, that is unknown to me, this guest had a stay that was not to her liking , but did not say anything during the stay so we could have improved on her experience at that time , but I will try to answer the criticism " Whole place is out of date! " ( The entire house was completely renovated 9 years ago incliding the installation of new bathrooms, decor was also done 9 years ago in the mid- century modern , and art deco theme with original antiques, sorry this was not to your taste, but there are lost of interior pics on the website I have also found it fascinating that you actually like the decor of a house that is over 100 years older than ours and yet you call us " out of date" )"Breakfast is horrible! Not 3 course meal. Cereal, fruit plate then cold eggs and sausage! " ( Sorry but a selection of three cerals on the buffett, followed buy a 6 or 7 fruit individual fresh fruit platters and then followed by eggs, toast , and sausauges would comprise a 3 course breakfast, ( According the the rating body, Canada Select) this also includes and you would ,know this ,3 fresh jams for the toast and unlimited milk, coffee, and tea, of course all free as it is included. Very sorry if your found the eggs cold, but if they were cold, why did you not advise me, so we could have made it right for you then ? ) "sayOwner doesn't stop talking and leave guest's alone!" ( Sorry you were agrivated by my presencs\e,, but the other guests are happy to have information on the province, area and the property, I just usually respond to guests questions "Found him to be very rude! ' ( Again sorry for you opinion but if I did not respond to guests questions, I would indeed be rude !) "No view of Ocean...its look through trees and stand up and maybe have a peak at it! ( View of Ocean depends on what room you are in and how much foliage is out , we are across the street from the ocean it is about 2,000 ft away and you can see it all year, by the way one of our rooms has a private deck with a clear ocean view, since yiou are anonomyous do not know what room you had...) Nothing to do in Spaniards Bay go to Bay Roberts and stay at hotel! ( Well if you were bored, then you did not access all the information we have about activities, and sites in the area,) " No way is this a 4 star its more like a 1 Star if that! "( Well you are welcome to your opinion on the rating, I have no controll over your opinion , nor of the rating, it is provided by Canada Select who rate all the hotels and the B&B's through the country. I do feel badly that you did not enjoy your stay, but you are unique as the hundreds that have stayed with us over the past 8 years have had for them a pleasant experience, I do hope that the next place you stay is more to your liking , and we will continue to enjoy the guests that wish to stay with us. ) I do thank you for the time you took to provide us with such an insitefull review of you stay with us, I wish you my very best and hope thgat you enjoy all your travels equally as much !

Reviewed 15 June 2012

A lovely B&B. The owner is extremely kind and a great source for Newfoundland history and local culture. The bed was heavenly, the food great, and the accommodations more like a hotel than a B&B. If you are in the area- a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a little getaway. We live an hour from the Inn but my parents are minutes away so they took care of our son while we had a night to ourselves.

The house is so clean, there is not a spec of dust to be found. Our room had the most comfortable bed, it was heavenly. The sheets are good quality too and the comforter was cozy!

Though we didn't get a chance to walk around the grounds, it is very pretty and well taken care of.

My only complaint was that breakfast was sort of early but it was a very filling amount of food, cereal, fruit, a cooked breakfast and juice, tea and coffee.

The room was spacious and it had a lot of little extras from coffee and a little fridge with cold drinks to shower caps and a sewing kit. They really thought of everything!

The owner, Ian is a very nice man, a real gentleman. He is also very bright and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2010

A very comfortable inn with a friendly host and a delicious breakfast. We were so full we didn't need lunch! A perfect location for sightseeing in the area.

1  Thank Pavlov
#1 of 3 in Carbonear
The Doctor's House Inn & Spa
The Doctor's House Inn & Spa
#1 of 1 in Greens Harbour

Been to Stonewall Inn B&B? Share your experiences!