“Great place to stay for a great price!”

The Villas at Palmas
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Humacao
The Villas at Palmas
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Humacao
New York, NY
“Great place to stay for a great price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

My friend and I took a vacation to Puerto Rico the beginning of April with the intentions of doing quite a bit of sightseeing and enjoying the culture of the island. Villas at Palmas was an exceptional choice.
1. The villa was absolutely beautiful. It was clean, it was spacious. The kitchen provided all of the amenities you could think of and the sights from the balcony were amazing, especially in the morning and at sunset. The beach was only a walk away, and it was great to be able to go as we pleased. I couldnt have asked for a more beautiful place, my friend and I were in awe when we arrived.
2. Service was decent. When we arrived there was some confusion with our reservations and we actually did not have a room. Fortunately, the woman at the front desk made arrangements and we were able to book a room. This was frightening though, because I planned everything through a travel agency and I was shocked that the villas wouldnt take extra precaution to make sure everything was perfect. Besides this discrepancy, everything else was great.
3. The location is probably one of the iffy things about staying here. If you plan on leaving the grounds of the resort, be prepared. One, you must speak spanish or at least know a fair amount before venturing in Humacao. Thankfully, I speak spanish, but my friend does not and he had a very hard time. Two, as far as nightlife goes, your best bet are small roadside bars that serve food and cheap drinks. The music was great, the people were nice, but if you are looking for a more modern and traditional type bar/club you will not find it in Humacao or anywhere nearby.

Overall, my stay was absolutely wonderful. I would definitely come back again, especially if I am in need for relaxation, sun, and peace. If you are looking for more of a nightlife scene, you may need to go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank luvccrv612

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

My friend and I just spent two nights at The Villas at Palmas Del Mar. We had a wonderful time! We stayed i villa 602 which is a 1 minute walk to the beach and right on the golf course. It was also VERY close to 2 pools and the Sheraton Hotel (which has several places to eat and a casino). The VIlla was clean and very large for 2 people. It had 1.5 baths. It was very easy to get around the resot in our rental car. I would definitely recommend having a car! We really enjoyed horsebackriding at Ranco Bueno Vista and relaxing on the beautiful beach. The restaurants are a bit pricy on the resort but we really enjoyed Sebastian's for breakfast, the beach bar for lunch, and the Tapas restaurant (at the Marina) for dinner. I would recommend stopping at the market for food before arriving. There is a large kitchen in the villa. The worst part of our stay was the very uncomfortable bed in the villa. it was rock hard. Overall this was a beautiful place to stay, i would definietley recommend it, and i can't wait to return!

• Liked — Perfect location for access to beautiful beach. Nice, Clean Villa.
  • Disliked — Horribly uncomfortable bed!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank newtrackduq
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

I made my reservation at The Villas in Palmas because of the good reviews and price range for the rooms.

My dissapointment is really with the management of the hotel and not the facilities themselves. I'm a busy professional in the state in florida, and emergencies do come up. I had a wedding scheduled for the weekend that I had to cancel due to my work emergency. I contacted the hotel first, trying to reach the manager, Jose Pico. He was not available that day but I was told to call back Monday. That was okay with me. When I called back, he was not available again. Tried on Tuesday again and was told to call in half an hour, did that too. Tired of calling already to no avail, I was told that he would not come to the phone and the decision was made already to charge my credit card. Basically, no one was willing to talk to me about what happened.

The money was not the most important thing in this matter, and if the manager would have had the decency to at least pick up the phone and attend to my situation I would have probably been satisfied and understood their policy. But avoiding your clients the whole weekend is not the way to deal with people. I'm originally from PR and have travelled widely around the world and have yet to be treated this way in any place.

Overall very, very dissapointed with the way management deals with unexpected situaion that could happen to anyone.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fede17mj
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

We just got back from a stay at Palmas del Mar. We were in a 2 bedroom condo with one bath at the Fairways Court community. We rented a car at the SJU airport and drove about an hour south to get to the Palmas del Mar set of communities. Once through the gate, we found the office for Villas at Palmas after a short drive to the "downtown" section. We brought our GPS from home and it was a great help traversing the island although it could not be relied upon for local stores or restaurants (i.e. it said the closest Walgreens was 30m away when it was actually about 2 or 3 miles in Humacao).

Even though our plane was late and we arrived around midnight, there was still someone in the office waiting for us to arrive. Each condo community within the larger community is also gated and manned with a guard 24/7. This was helpful since we had not eaten on the way out and the guard was able to give me directions to a close place out of the community that was open late.

The condo was on the second floor with a view of a cement pond lake. The kids enjoyed throwing bread from the patio balcony to the birds and giant lizards. The beach was a bit of a walk but the kids enjoyed the waves and building sand castles. The condo itself was well furnished with a tropical theme. Had a large sunken living and dining area with room for 6 at the dining table. There was a full kitchen with oven, stove, microwave, fridge, dishwasher...everything you would expect. There was also a stacked washer/dryer in the closet. There were 2 bedrooms. One had two twins and the other had a queen. There were 3 televisions (all with cable). It took a couple of minutes to figure out the multiple remotes. One is for the TV (use for turning TV on and off and controlling volume. set the TV to Channel 3). The other remote was for the cable box (point it at the cable box and use it to move through the channels). As stated in one of the other reviews, the shower cold/hot water controls are backwards.

We ate breakfast everyday in the condo on the balcony and had the rest of our meals out so we stocked up on breakfast supplies and snacks only. We used the condo as our home base and took day trips. I'd recommend El Yunque rain forest, a snorkel trip on EastWind catamaran from Fajardo, a walk through old San Juan (be sure to feed the pigeons), and the bioluminescent bay.

We had a great time overall and would definitely go back. Be sure to bake in enough time to just relax at the pool or beach. Also make sure to reapply the sun screen often since it wears off quickly in the water. Casino at 4points was fun but don't plan on leaving with any money. Have fun!

• Liked — Lots of room to spread out in the condo. Everyone had their own bed
  • Disliked — Parking at hotel and beach expensive (Free at condo)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank Thedadeo
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

This is worth the money especially if its more than 2 people. This is like a luxury apt. Although no room service you wopnt need it cause it has everything. Within the area they have restaurants, market, shopping, salon, and more. There was actually no need to go out of the area except for gas. I wish I would have spent my whole trip there. There a casino in this community for those who have a habit of looking for lady luck.

• Liked — washer and dryer inside villa
  • Disliked — ????
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank truthfulBrooklyn_NY
Coventry, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

First of al, the "Villas" is/are not a hotel. They are condos and/or furnished investment properties (studios, 1,2,and 3 bedroom apartments) situated throughout the Palmas del Mar resort complex. So don't expect room service, the usual "hotel" services, amenities or lots of hand-holding. If you need those sort of things, book the Four Points Sheraton (also on the complex).
The sophisticated traveler can expect a clean, well maintained, furnished efficiency apartment in a well protected community setting. The Villas are decorated by their individual owners and thus it's tough to describe the decore you might find (our one bedroom Villa was a bit spartan, but clean as a whistle with a bathroom as large as an entire hotel room. Daily maid service even washed the dishes in the dishawsher.). Our Villa was in the "Dorado" community, next to the Sheraton and adjacent to the beach. Temperatures during the day (most of the year) are in the mid eighties with a trade-wind sea breeze keeping the air moving most of the time. Our Villa was air conditioned, but we used open windows and doors (no bugs) and ceiling fans to keep things comfortable.
Palmas del Mar is a gated resort area consisting of about thirty sub-gated residential communites that generally tend to cluster around life-style cores that include the beach, tennis, golf, equestarian and boating choices. There are a half dozen or so restaurants on the expansive property that cater to a wide range of tastes and budgets. The seasoned traveler will find the local fare (outside the gates) fun to try as well. Nothing fancy, but potentially loads of fun. Budget conscious visitors can prepare their own meals in their Villas using groceries from several shops or supermarkets in nearby Humacoa.
Although golf cart rentals are available on the property, a rental car is an absolute necessity. It's a 45 minute ride from San Juan (unless the rentalcar folks send you via Fajardo..which will take 90 minutes on a good day). Puerto Rican drivers are somewhat agressive and seem to view traffic control devices and signs as "advisory" so highway caution is always appropriate.
Enjoy Puerto Rico. The weather is usually perfect (including a daily shower that dries off quickly). The people are generally hospitible and helpful. We have been visiting PR for well over thirty years and have found the Villas to be an excellent travel value (considering what you receive).

• Liked — Overall value
  • Disliked — No Internet Connection (without some effort)
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank skipmays
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2008

We had a 2 bedroom in the FairCourts section. It had 2 bathrooms, a gorgeous entry way, beautiful furniture in the living room, dining room, and outside furniture. We were on the first floor, so walk outside to your patio furniture, beautiful landscaping and the pool was very close too!! We just got lucky with our room location, it was the best in the entire complex. I noticed other patios didn't have the nice furniture we had and we had the best location to the pool. It was beautiful. But not a good location for going to the beach. We had to cut through the Sheraton, and it was a good walk. The beach wasn't even nice, seaweed, redish color sand. If you had a key card to open the gate on the side of the property it would have cut the walk time in half, but they didn't give us one, so we had to walk out of the complex through where the cars come in which was the opposite direction of the beach/sheraton. Probably a 15 minute walk. If you like tennis this complex was close to the tennis courts. They have many other complex's which I can't compare, but maybe some are better than others. The only real downside is there is no one to help you if you have questions. No concierge, and your pretty much on your own. It rained one day and there was nothing to do! We went to the casino at the sheraton, it was very small but the only thing we could do on a rainy day. Getting there was no problem from SJU, we got a navigational system, which worked great, I couldn't have got there without it. Took about 45 minutes from the airport.

• Liked — Spaciousness, beautifully decorated interior, and outside landscaping
  • Disliked — location to the beach
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank shadow362
Also consider these accommodations in or near Humacao
Parador Palmas De Lucia
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 3 in Fajardo
Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Villas at Palmas? Share your experiences!