“A jewel waiting to be found”
Review of Cafe de la Plaza

Cafe de la Plaza
Ranked #9 of 73 Restaurants in Humacao
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Café de La Plaza Italian Ristorante serves up some of the most authentic Italian cuisine on the East coast of Puerto Rico. Our Chefs combine flavors from all regions of Italy including Rome, Sicily, and Tuscany. All our sauces such as the Pomodoro, Marinara, "Mother Sauce", Alfredo, and Vodka Sauce are homemade completely from scratch. Most importantly, we bring you a farm to table experience by growing a lot of the ingredients that go into your delicious meal from our farm in Yabucoa, PR. At Cafe de La Plaza family and food are a big part of our lives. We want to create a casual fun family style dining experience that you can enjoy with you friends and loved ones. We hope that you will join us at our table. Buon Appetito!
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It's our first trip to Puerto Rico. We've visited, stayed and eaten in San Juan, Viques, and Humacao. The fare ranged from street vendor food at San Sebastián, to bar food (American and Puerto Rico style), to fine dining, to fusion, which pretty much covers the gamut. Cafe de la Plaza was by far our favorite place to eat during our trip. The drinks, food, and atmosphere were all equally creative, balanced, and delicious. The 'fun with rum' was delicious and deadly. The ceviche was spot on. The flank steak was tender and the best of the 5 restaurants I tried it at. The plantain crusted chicken with mango sauce was delightful. We enjoyed the mofongo and beans n rice, but we are not from PR either. Cafe de la Plaza is not authentic PR food...it's fusion...it is a blend of old world flavors with a twist, in a vibrant, tasteful boutique restaurant.
It is difficult to find. From Palmas Drive take Palmas Inn Road. As you go down the hill there will be a parking lot on the right and a sopping center to the left (it's not in the shopping center). Park in the lot and walk to the end of the lot. You will find a small sign and sidewalk. The sign should be next to the Club Villa sign. It's about a 200 feet walk to the restaurant.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We all ordered different dishes and the fish, chicken and beef were all quite good:, seating was comfortable and ambience very pleasant. Good service, awesome mojitos, one of the best places to eat if you want to stay in the resort

Cafedelaplaza, Owner at Cafe de la Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing a review. We are happy you had a great experience. At Cafe de La Plaza we strive for excellence. We hope to see you and your family/friends back soon! Best regards from the Cafe de La Plaza team.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The place is hidden which makes it even more relaxing. The ambience is great and the staff is really nice. Our only concern?...The Food!!! :(
Sadly but true, the food is not the best. I will definitely come here again but just to sit down and have some drinks with my friends and family. I will not come back here to eat any kind of food. The mofongo, wow...it is so bad I cannot understand how a mofongo could taste so bad. I was so disappointed I was going to order a dessert but after that experience I decided not to eat anything else. The shrimps were ok but I thing everybody can cook them better. The Chicken Breast with the plantain crust....It is more exciting in the menu than in real life. The beans...oh the beans....they were so smoked!!! Seriously I cannot understand. I really want to believe that it was only that night, that the food was so bad...but I will remain with my doubt because I will not try anything else from the menu.
Im sorry Chef, but we were 5 at the table and we all had the same experience and the mofongo was the worst we've ever taste.
The prices are too high for the quality of the food.
The restaurant has a Sunday Brunch which we didn't try for obvious reasons so I cannot review it.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Billed as a restaurant and beer garden, this friendly restaurant is situated in the midst of a residential area in Palmas del Mar. They do have an extensive international beer selection, as well as some very tasty custom mixed drinks that use local Puerto Rican products (including their native rum). Very reasonably priced, the menu offers a good selection of creative South American cuisine, and our selections for the evening were delicious. My husband was very pleased with the Angus Skirt Steak, and my plantain crusted chicken breast with mango glaze was delicious. In addition, both plates were presented beautifully. Owner Cristina Colon is a constant and active presence at the restaurant, personally engaging the customers on a regular basis. We will definitely return to eat at Cafe de la Plaza during our next visit.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Me and my wife ate here last night. The Restaurant is kind of hidden, but the sign lets you know. The ambience is casual with a touch fun and festive.
The service was ok, definitely needs to improve. At least they smile. Waitress that attended us never even presented herself, never tried to get info from us about anything. She asked us what we wanted to drink. Never offerd the special of the day or anything untill I asked for it. She seemed desperate to end her shift, my opinion. Some one else brought the food to our table, and at first I was disappointed. The portion looked kind of small for what I'm use to. That changed when I was so stuffed cause I ate everything. I order the Churrasco on a glazed with onions and a side of mofongo, and my wife had the chicken with a plantain crust on it,
with a side of tostones. The churrasco was tender as it should be, cooked medium to perfection, seasoned perfectly. The mofongo was soft, not greasy with a perfect hint of garlic. My wifes' chicken was perfect the combination of the plantain crust with the mango was awesome, and the tostones were fresh home made style.
Overall this is a great restaurant, great ambience, perfect food, but lacks a bit of service. Not the worst service but not the best, and that should be a priority. Must people return thanks to a great server. Maybe it was this time, who knows. But will return to try their food.