“Authentic Puerto Rican food at its best!!”

Platos Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #5 of 178 Restaurants in Carolina
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Bar, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The true taste of Puertorican food! Come and enjoy a piece of Puerto Rico with our variety of dishes. Mofongos, Angus Beef, Seafood, Paellas, Pasta and much more. Your favorite drink awaits for you at our bar. Also you can try our house drinks, sangrias and more. By the glass or a bottle, you will find your favorite wine at Platos Restaurant in Isla Verde. Red, Sparkling, Rosé or White, we have it
new jersey
“Authentic Puerto Rican food at its best!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

What a fabulous suprise this restaurant was. Recommended by the desk clerk at our hotel and boy it was right on the money. We wanted authentic Puerto Rican food and that exactly what we got..Fabulous service and everything we tasted from the fried cheese, beef empanadas and chicken soup were amazing..For our entree's we had the Paella which was the best we have had since our trip to Spain and we just had to try the delicious Tres Leche desert...HIGHLY recommend and we will certainly return!!

• Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Thank you, bartender”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

My son and my daughter-in-law spent some time in U.S. Virgin Islands a couple of years ago. They fell in love with a drink called a painkiller. Since we were going to be in Caribbean, my daughter-in-law told me to have one. Our server at Platos told the bartender my request. He looked up the recipe and made one for me. Fabulous!

We were at Platos for dinner and ended up having a few appetizers. The fried cheese and fish bites (along with their accompanying sauces) were terrific. The empanadas... Not so much. The server was friendly but definitely on island time.

Somerset, PA
“Good food, decent service, OK atmosphere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I read a lot of the reviews for Platos before going there. I am in the same section of town and really wanted to walk somewhere, not drive or take a taxi. As this was right across the road from my hotel, I figured I'd try it.

It was 4:30 or so when I went in and I was seated immediately and my drink order was taken with two minutes. My drink arrived and I placed my order for an appetizer (the fried cheese!!! - wonderful). It arrived in less than 10 minutes. Did I mention it was fantastic?! My entree came with another 10-15 minutes and was well prepared and very good. I had ordered the Pollo Mofongo and this was only my second time trying it and I thought it was very good.

The only slow portion of the service was when I was finished and was waiting for the check. I think this is more of an "island thing" than just at Platos as every restaurant I was in while on the island was very slow with the check. I understand when it is a couple or a party of several that gives you time to talk, etc., but when it is one person, it is a bit awkward. The price was a little higher than I would've liked, but it is in a tourist area and if I didn't like the price I shouldn't have ordered it, right? The portions were more than fair for the price.

You're going to laugh at my biggest complaint...it was the hostess who started for the evening after I had already been seated. Ugh. She was wearing the tightest, shortest dress - it barely covered her backside. Am I upset because I didn't get to follow her to the table? No,...I just thought (as opposed to a lot of guys I suppose) that it was a little tacky. Honestly, this dress was so short if she had sneezed - well, never mind. Way too short. I did notice a few of the female patrons with their guys were a little displeased and actually one was making fun of it. Again, just tacky.

New York City, New York
“Traditional Puerto Rican Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We went at the recommendation of the concierge and were very pleased with the choice. The restaurant has a nice casual atmosphere and had live music playing.
Our waiter was very helpful explaining all of the menu choices and even brought us samples of the three different sangrias for us to try before ordering. We each ordered different variations of the trifongo which was very good. I had the skirt steak/lobster combo. Lobster was a little dry but very tasty.
My only complaint was when we walked in to the restaurant, I asked the hostess to change a $20 so I could pay the taxi. She asked someone who appeared to be the boss and he made a face and refused to change the bill. Petty, but annoying.
Overall however, we had a good meal, good service and fairly priced.

Maine
“Traditional cuisine ala Borinqua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Loved the food choices, the service. Sangria drink house specialities....expensive but delicious.
Music played whole time we ate, a little too loud. Fried cheese and guava was delicious.
Mofongo was excellent. Nice restaurant to experience.

• Visited October 2013