“Overrated”

Hotel La Playa (La Playita Bar)
Ranked #2 of 5 Nightlife in Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We decided to try this restaurant because it was within walking distance of where we were staying . It is at the back of a waterfront boutique hotel. The views are beautiful, however the whole experience, for us, was not. As we have a toddler, we arrived early for dinner. We ordered almost immediately, however, only my husband and daughter's food were bought out to us. When we asked about my order, it became evident that they had lost my order. My food took another 30-45 minutes to come out, during which time my husband and daughter had finished their food. The waiter was not at all apologetic, and basically said I had to wait, as a large group had just placed an order.

We complained to the manager, but all he said that he could give us, was free desserts, but as this dinner had already taken more than two hours (with a toddler who by this stage was completely over it), we had to decline.

While the scenery is beautiful, I would never go to the restaurant again. The food wasn't that great, and the service, in our opinion, was ordinary.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We went to La Playita restaurant the first night of our stay in Puerto Rico. The restaurant was a short walk away from where we were staying, and it's on the waterfront, in an unassuming hotel. It was raining, so the tables closest to the water were abandoned. We were seated immediately and ordered waters, Coke, and appetizers, which consisted of fried farmer's cheese and sauteed mushrooms. It took a very long time for the food to arrive, and then we received the mushrooms and calamari, which we didn't order. After returning the calamari, it took another twenty minutes to get the second appetizer. Both appetizers were relatively good. For the main course we ordered mofongo (mashed green plantain) and mine was with chicken. I ordered it with garlic sauce, and asked to have a small side of the second sauce, which is tomato based. Around twenty minutes after our second appetizer we received our main course. Instead of the garlic sauce, my mofongo arrived with the tomato sauce. The waiter said he would get me some of the other sauce to try, which never happened. The chicken was rubbery and tasted like the artificial chicken sometimes served as a cheap, frozen patty infused with barbeque flavor. We also noticed that no one ever refilled our water glasses and there were no condiments on the table. After noticing that our waiter was spending an exceptionally long time in the kitchen, we asked another waiter for more water and some salt. It seemed that our waiter had the interior section assigned to him and the only exterior table assigned to him was ours, as all other tables outside had a different (and very efficient) waiter. We ended up spending two and a half hours for dinner that should have taken an hour less. The restaurant is not cheap, either. If you order an appetizer, a mojito, and a main course, it will come to approximately $42 per person. It seems that the restaurant relies heavily on the view. On a dark night with persistent rain, the view stops being a factor, and one can't help but notice the lighting that is too low, with the background of a random radio station that happened to play nineties music. Or maybe it was a CD coming from the bar area. I'm not sure. Note that the tip of 15% is included in the final bill automatically. Aprevecho!

2  Thank TravelinSonja
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This was the ultimate find in San Juan; close to the airport, on the water and next to the beach, a great restaurant and bar, friendly staff and comfy, quaint rooms! This recently remodeled hotel has done it all right and we will be back! Pet and wallet friendly, we found it to be the gem of Isla Verde!

1  Thank Liserusvi
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Great place to eat and to relax!! Don't know about the hotel bcs I have never stayed. But recommend restaurant and deck (!) 100%!

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Hotel La Playa has gone corporate. Since it's inception into the corporate world, La Playa has lost its flavor and great customer service. First of all....THERE IS NO HOT WATER! The hot water pressure is so low that that the trickle effect makes it feel like a Chinese water torture. If you don't mind bathing in cold water then this place is great. Besides that, the rooms are quaint with flat screens and great air conditioners. The hotel is pretty clean and the staff admirable. Overall I give it a 3.5.....only because I love hot showers and the cold showers killed my swag. If you decide to stay there....get the bigger room with the king sized beds. They are oceanfront and worth the price.