“INCREDIBLE WITH A CHARMING HOST”
Review of Posada Olivar

Posada Olivar
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Entering the properting you'd think you've arrived to paradise! The place is so beautiful. The garden with grass, a small swimming pool and an orchard with 10 different fruit trees. I counted them.. The rooms face the garden and the swimming pool. Breakfast, continental, is served in the dining room. The staff is charming and helpful. Jose Luis is present and ready to answer any questions and give advise. His English is perfect.
The rooms are spacious, clean and well provisioned. Both towels and linen are of good quality.

Jose Luis is a wonderful host. Other then what is expected from a host, recommending restaurants, bodegas, car rentals, bike rentals, etc. he went out of his way when I thought I had lost my credit card. He was on the phone for 2 hours, then he drove me to the bank twice, once to enquire if I had forgotten my card there and once to fetch my passport.

Posada Olivar is very well situated both for visiting bodegas and the center of town.. I was able to visit bodegas from the posada both by foot and by bike.
On evenings when I did not wish to go out for dinner I was able to have my dinner in the garden.It is very agreeable.
In addition, there is a kitchen where one can cook one's meals and there are a couple of supermarkets in Chacra.
There are plenty of restaurants nearby, from very simple to very luxurios ones, bars, cafes and a craft market on Sundays.
Public transportation is very convenient as well, only 3.20 pesos to central Mendoza and to the central bus station in Mendoza. The bus stop is around the corner from the Posada.
Due to internet problems in Argentina the reception is limited in the rooms and Jose Luis arranged a table for me near the modem in the garden next to the living room.

I should add that I travelled during the Argentine summer holidays and families with kids were present. Therefore, at times the place was a bit noisy. I would recommentd for those who wish to enjoy the total quieteness to avoid the school vacation. I'm sure that Jose Luis will provide the holiday dates.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2014

After travelling Argentina for more than two weeks we were looking for a place near Mendoza to really relax and to be a good starting point for wine tours and other activities...and a swimming pool. We found the Posada on trip advisor and it was even better than suggested by the excellent reviews.

The Posada is located about 20 minutes from Mendoza in a small village. Good restaurants are on walking distance, as well as several boutique bodega's where you can have lunch or go for wine tastings.

Jose, the owner of the Posada, is extremely nice and welcoming, he helped us plan our own wine tour, arranged the delivery of rental bikes at the Posada, arranged a rafting tour, shared very good wines with us....and the best part was a real Asado (BBQ) for all quests on saturday night. We brought the wine from our wine tour and Jose arranged the meat, delicious and a great evening!

The Posada itself is quiet, relaxing, with a nice pool and a large garden with a plum orchard and a big grass field. All in all a perfect place to stay, i would suggest it to anyone traveling to Mendoza!

Room Tip: When Jose says "Old mansion" he means the house where he himself lives, we slept there an...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We first stayed in a hotel in Mendoza city, which was a bit underwhelming.
We decided to book a place a little bit outside town, and ended up at Posada Olivar!
Such a great place, with a very helpful owner (Jose). The room and bathroom was wonderful and we loved the big pool. Restaurants and whineries within walking distance.

Just perfect!

Just one very tiny small remark (cause there is always something to whine about): the relaxing chairs at the pool are ready for replacement.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barntm
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I don't even know here to start! My husband and I loved this place. The owner Jose Luis invited us and some of the other guest to his Christmas celebration - great food, wine and his family is the best! This was an event that I will remember for the rest of my life. Also, the rooms are spacious , there's wifi and breakfast included. Thanks so much Jose Luis for a great time!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We definitely recommend this posada. Very big rooms, clean, awesome garden including swimming pool, and good breakfast. Owner José and his girlfriend Eugenia were very helpful and speak good English. They had some good recommendations for restaurants and wineries. We didn't get a check out time, so we could stay in our room till we left in the afternoon for catching our nightbus.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

After two weeks darting around the country Posada Olivar was just the break we needed. Jose greeted us as we walked up the driveway; he gave us a quick but valuable orientation to the posada and to activities in the area. As it was a holiday the next day he warned us that many places would be closed and suggested we join him at a local winery opening. Needless to say that was an experience I will never forget.

As for Posada Olivar - our room on the second floor was beautifully decorated. It was spacious, had high bamboo ceilings and windows with wonderful views. The entire was comfortable - the king size bed, the bedding, and a rare feat - pillows that were just right; they were not too poofy and not too flat. The land itself is a site that I could stare at for hours: rows of olive trees just behind the deep blue pool.

Jose was a tremendous host. As my wife and I are adventurers who aren't the best at planning Jose made a conscious and friendly effort to make sure our days were excellent. For example after returning from Sushi one evening Jose met us in the yard to see if we had anything planned for the next day. We told him we would like to go mountain biking but we had already reached to a few companies. Fast forward to next morning - our internet bookings had failed. Jose hopped on the phone and arranged for the worlds most fantastic guide to bring us two mountain bikes and then to take us out into the single track just west of town. My wife (relatively new to mountain biking) described it as "the best day of the trip". Thank you Jose :)

I cannot emphasize enough the fantastic dining that is a short walk away - sushi, steak, italian - numerous restaurants all right there. On our last evening we invited Jose and his dynamite girlfriend Eugenia out to dinner with us. They suggested Dantesco a delightful restaurant that was just around the corner. Eugenia and Jose had us laughing the whole night and the evening was a wonderful cap to our Argentina adventure. I am ever thankful that we chose Chacras and Posada Olivar for our last few days in this amazing country - Posada Olivar was everything we wanted!

Room Tip: There is one room on the second floor that is simply incredible - walk out balcony, extra twin bed...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan R
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. Jose of the owner family is extremely accommodating and is a really good bloke (and used to play rugby). The slightly rural is setting perfect for visiting nearby vineyards and wineries (one is within easy walking distance, others cycling distance) and there are two excellent restaurants on Italia Road almost next door (best meals on our Argentinian trip).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family