“Friendly staff and a quiet getaway”
Review of Lisson Grove

Lisson Grove
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Tamborine
Jimboomba
“Friendly staff and a quiet getaway”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We originally booked in to the gamekeeper lodge however on arrival it had a damp smell. As soon as we explained to the onsite manager she immediately offered us an alterantive cottage. We stayed in the Abbey which is a lovely church style cottage. Two story with the bed romantically perched on the second floor complete with the a dreamy four poster and attic style. windows. The overall cleanliness and quietness completed our stay. The onsite manager was overly accomodating to our every need. Greeting us by name and we enjoyed our included bottles of wine and loved cooking our brekky in the cosy kitchen. i would have liked a little oil to cook my bacon and eggs with :) but the hot crusty bread and fresh orange juice finished off our morning perfectly. We also indulged in the day spa having a couples massage. So relaxing to wander around the beautiful gardens and spend time in the arbor. Overall beautiful quiet and most of all freindly

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Castle_Tamborine, Front Office Manager at Lisson Grove, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
It was our pleasure. Thank you for taking the time to place a review.

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Although we enjoyed the romantic cottage and double spa experience, there were a few things that made our stay less than ideal. One, that on the website it mentions, "As our guests you are pampered way beyond your wildest dreams upon arrival you are treated to champagne and chocolates you are also spoilt by our scrumptious, piping hot, two course gourmet breakfast that are hand delivered each morning to your cottage door at a time of your choice".

This is untrue. There was wine available, in the fridge, which cost money. There WERE chocolates, these consisted of 2 small foil wrapped hearts on each side of the bed.

Also, the promise of a scrumptious, piping hot, two course gourmet breakfast is a misleading one. Breakfast actually consisted of uncooked bacon, eggs, mushrooms etc on a glad wrapped plate to be cooked yourself in the kitchenette.

I don't have a problem with this per say, but the fact I had been looking forward to this pampering since reading about it on the website before booking was disappointing to say the least. I would suggest amending the website text to avoid misleading future guests.This concerns me as it's simply false advertising.

We were told quite pointedly that if we wanted hot bread, we would have to answer the phone when it rang in the morning (from memory I believe this was between around 8-9, and tell them yes, we wanted bread. I thought this was a little early to be disturbed on a romantic getaway; I would have no problem if they instead said they would leave it at the door at a specific time, or if you could request it within a timeframe of sorts.

Sadly we found the customer service lacking, apart from the booking experience, which was good. I thought we were treated rudely quite a few times.

Despite these issues, we managed to have a decent time and did really love our cottage. Although I would have otherwise have loved to return, we won't be as the customer service really soured our stay.

I was actually very surprised that we were treated in this fashion after reading some of the other reviews, and also that some people seem to have had cooked breakfast delivered! For the price, I expected more.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank X_LiliB_X
To say I'm disappointed to read this review is an understatement. If there is one thing we pride ourselves on, it is customer service. We try our very best to take care of the every need of our guest & to think we didn't achieve this is concerning. No excuses, I can only apologize.
Helensvale, Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed in the Gamekeepers Cottage at this quaint property on glorious Mt Tamborine in South East QLD.

Its not our usual B & B style, but we were enjoying a weekend retreat with a group of friends and Lisson Grove was the chosen venue, able to accommodate 6 couples in the themed cottages.

Its very easy to find, but as with most B & B style accommodation on the Mountain, you have to drive to most attractions.
There are a few antique & curiosity shops within walking distance, and the Bavarian Grill Haus & winery is about 15 mins. walk if that's your thing.

We strolled the 1.7klm to visit fantastic Witches Falls Winery, but there are no defined footpaths, the road is twisty and quite narrow, and walking on the roadside not for the feint hearted, or anyone with small children in tow.

Our hosts at Lisson Grove were welcoming and very accommodating, considering how wary these venues can be about larger groups. Our party booked the whole place for 2 nights, so we were unlikely to disturb any romantics looking for an intimate weekend away.

6 rustic, themed cottages with real wood burning fireplaces make up half the accommodation on this property, with a medieval style 'Castle' offering the other option. There is a day spa attached to the Castle property.
One of the group stayed previously in the Castle, and raved about their experience.

Every cottage has a kitchenette, ingredients are supplied to cook your own breakfast. Each morning a warm loaf of bread and fresh OJ is delivered to the door.

We enjoyed our stay, however considering the cost ($300+ per night) it would be nice to see the accommodation renovated and updated.
The Gamekeepers cottage was spacious, but dark and dusty, with very dated décor and tired fixtures/fittings. Faded prints and scruffy cushions on the sofa, cobweb covered ornaments and hideous green paint effect in the spa bathroom didn't match the 5 star price.
The bed was comfortable without being luxe, and the pillows adequate without being ahhh..

The grounds are well maintained, brimming with beautiful orchids, vibrant hippeastrums, all manner of tropical ferns and a romantic wisteria walk. The birdlife is abundant.

The owners obviously put their heart & souls into attending to their guests every need. Its a shame this is let down by the dated accommodation.

Room Tip: The Gables Cottages are a little cheaper but offer better value.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It was our pleasure to take care of your group, & it was wonderful to see you all enjoying your stay so much. We always go out of our way to ensure that our guests, be it 2 people or many, have a wonderful stay. Each of our Cottages has a different theme. Unfortunately, the one chosen for you definitely has a dark, cosy atmosphere internally. It is one of our most popular cottages for this reason. I'm sorry you didn't appreciate the décor. Perhaps one of the more open plan ones would have been more to your liking. It is helpful to have a chat with our reception staff, who are always happy to suggest a Cottage just right for you.
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Although we have stay at lisson before this time we stayed in the castle it was very romantic and full of luxury. The Castle is a must to experience with fireplaces, double spa baths, indoor pool, project, yummy hot breakfast deliver to ur room every day and plush Bath Robes. Lisson Grove owner and staff ( including day spa) have great customer service and has gone out of their way to help us enjoy our stay they have given us the most romantic 3 night holiday that will be hard to forget

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Willmot10
The_Castle_Tamborine, Owner at Lisson Grove, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to send in your review. We know everyone is busy, which makes it even more appreciated. Your kind words will be passed on to all of our team & also to The Castle Day Spa. We're very proud to have this facility on-site for our guests enjoyment. A good massage treatment is hard to beat.
Brisbane
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This accommodation was so appalling we left after the second night of a three night booking. We would have left the first night, but we could not have found somewhere the night before our renewal of vows or the night following our renewal. We were gone as soon as we could pack our car and settle our accounts after two virtually sleepless nights in a cottage which smelt so strongly of paint fumes when we first walked in our eyes watered.

We asked if there were any other rooms available but were told there weren't any - despite the vacancy sign still being up and there still being rooms available according to their website. We had to run the fan and air conditioner full ball in order to keep the smell down - it was still winter temperatures - and couldn't light a fire for fear of igniting the place. This made for a freezing start to both mornings.

Our friends were also staying there and were there when we asked to be moved. Our "host" suggested we swap with our friends so they could enjoy the "privilege" of paint fumes at $330 a night instead. We declined.

If they had made any effort to mitigate the situation we would have acknowledged it here.

On their website they suggest " As our guests you are pampered way beyond your wildest dreams upon arrival you are treated to champagne and chocolates you are also spoilt by our scrumptious, piping hot, two course gourmet breakfast that are hand delivered each morning to your cottage door at a time of your choice."

I would suggest that my guest experience I was treated with contempt, and should I have gotten any sleep within the acetone laced air, I would have no doubt had nightmares. Champaign is $30 a bottle and the only chocolates were a couple of hearts on our bed. You cook your own breakfast from a plate of lacklustre ingredients left in our fridge and the bread that they 'deliver fresh to your door' can only be delivered between 8.30am-9am. So much for a sleep in if you want the bread - we decided not to have it.

They did not offer to make any alternative arrangements for us at all. When we checked out the second morning of the three day stay. First we were offered a voucher for one night's stay - but as we are not masochists - we declined. Then she tried to charge us for the full three days and only conceded to charge us the full rate for two nights without apology, discount or accepting responsibility for the situation. The closest she came was 'I'm sorry you feel that way'. So were we. This was meant to be our second honeymoon. She wished to argue that the paint fumes weren't noticeable - but as the oil paint was only done (varying stories of the day of our arrival, the day before our arrival to 2 days before depending on when she spoke to us or our friends) - then you can see how we could not possibly agree. We had booked our stay months in advance and they had chosen just before our visit to paint - knowing that we were there for a special occasion.

The passive aggressive nature of our host make this the worst stay in any accommodation I have ever had - and I stayed in a Best Western in Wollongong with people shooting up outside my door and 'mysterious' stains on the bedspread. At least my host at the Best Western was nice and responded to my requests to replace the linens and move the locals along.

There are lots of wonderful places to stay on Mount Tamborine - this isn't one of them. Don't be fooled by the website.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Nicola B
The_Castle_Tamborine, Owner at Lisson Grove, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Over the many years as owner and operator of Lisson Grove, and now also The Castle on Tamborine, we have enjoyed the feedback that Tripadvisor affords us, as it enables us to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. Unfortunately, very occasionally we get completely unreasonable feedback. This is absolutely one of these times. The saying “the customer is always right” occasionally shouldn’t apply. This particular guest showed no signs of not enjoying her stay until the morning she left, when I was accused of ruining her stay & also the previous day when she celebrated her renewal of vows. She failed to mention quite a few points in her review. Firstly that her list of allergies (19 in total) was given to me on a specially printed card ON ARRIVAL. Prior to this, I was only aware of her intolerance to gluten. Surely, if her allergies were so extensive we should have been informed well ahead of time. It is important to note though, that from the moment she arrived, her attitude was one of aggression.
We are always improving on our facilities for the pleasure & comfort of our guests. Refurbishment is necessary & expected in our industry. Yes, the cottage she had selected for her stay had been painted the previous week, but the painters had finished their work on the Wednesday, leaving, what we thought, adequate time for any paint odour to dissipate. Had we known that her list of allergies was so extensive,, we certainly would have done our utmost to move other guests where ever possible to accommodate her. It was a little late by the time she arrived to do so. This guest is also incorrect in saying that we had other vacancies that weekend, as this certainly was not the case. We are often so busy at the weekend that we do forget to show a “no vacancy” sign. She also omits to mention how she was offered complimentary gourmet breakfast just because it was a special weekend for her, even though she was well aware that the rate she was quoted did not include this.
She also doesn’t mention that, as we had a professional photographer on staff that weekend, we kindly ( & at no cost to her) offered to take photographs of her & her husband on the morning of their renewal of vows, which they accepted. I personally held her bouquet for her & gave up my time to assist whilst the photos were being taken, until I was very rudely told I was “squashing her flowers!”
We take absolute pride in our establishment and at all times do our utmost to ensure that all of our guests have a memorable and enjoyable stay. It is for this reason that our number of repeat guests is so high!! We have many, many guests who return to our establishment every year and refer their friends and family to experience our service and facilities. Our professional team did everything possible to ensure that all of our guests including this couple had a wonderful weekend. There were no complaints from anyone until the Sunday morning when I was confronted by this extremely rude & aggressive woman who proceeded to spit at me that “I” had ruined her whole weekend. Her claim that “she tried to charge us for 3 full days” is another untruth. I gladly deducted the third night, but admit to being a bit rattled by the abuse I was being subjected to. During this conversation, she told me that she now had a migraine from the fumes. As it turns out, I myself am a migraine sufferer & can assure you that if you have a migraine headache, there is no way you would be standing in front of someone & letting out raging abuse.
I am offended by her insults that are directed to myself personally. I am also offended by her written words drawing similarities between Lisson Grove & the time she spent at the other property mentioned. I fail to see how you can compare our establishment to a venue with “drug use!” This is an insult that is hard to bear.
The huge majority of guests we have the pleasure to care for are wonderful & a delight to share our property with. Thank heavens, I haven’t come across anyone like this woman before, as she is enough to turn you off the public forever.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Cannot say enough good things about this place and the staff. From arrival we were greeted warmly by Cheryl who gave great insight into the local area.
All the small things the friendly staff do add up for a relaxing, private getaway experience.
Yummy fresh bread every morning, cosy accommodation, log fire and a spa bath to share with a loved one.
My partner and I had a short stay recently, utilised the castle spa and massage facilities on site, all in all a lovely place which we would definitely revisit.

A big thanks to Cheryl and all the staff - Andrew and Jenn

Room Tip: hunters lodge was a great choice
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cracknfail
The_Castle_Tamborine, Owner at Lisson Grove, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Our pleasure. Many thanks for taking the time to comment.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We've been staying in at Lisson Grove for the first time and chose the Abbey. My husband and I needed a few days away from the hassle of normal day to day life and truly enjoyed the serenity and quietness of the place. We definitely got what we looked for, even when the weather was downright miserable for 90 % of the time. Being woken up by birds in the morning instead cars or noisy neighbours is always a wonderful experience.

Loved the music and birds played from the main house system through the sound system. There were also these lovely touches like fresh flowers and aroma, giving the cottage a wonderful homely atmosphere.

The Abbey was just right in size, albeit difficult to heat. I believe Cheryl has solved the problem now. The room was comfortable and the bedroom stately with a very comfy bed. Just be aware to have a flashlight by your bedside if you need to go downstairs in the darkness and don't want to wake your partner with bright lights, otherwise you fall down the stairs quickly, with the cottage pitch dark.

However, the bathroom has a minor problem. The spa is big and good to soak in, but the basin is extremely tiny and makes it hard even to wash your face without either banging your head against the mirror or wetting the floor. This is a little setback. The small kitchen is well equipped, with microwave, stove and a decent size fridge. So if you don't want to go out you can quickly heat or whip up a meal.

Housekeeping service cleaned the room every day, including making the bed and changing the towels, putting away the dishes from breakfast.

Cheryl is a very accommodating and lovely host, making sure you feel well looked after and pampered all around. Cooked breakfast and orange juice was brought every morning at the time you choose, a different cooked one every day and enough to keep your stomach filled till lunch. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have an option to eat in the main house when the weather is cold and miserable, since - unfortunately - the breakfast is already lukewarm when they reach the further back cottages. But it didn't keep us from enjoying it and the wonderful plunger coffee.

We got half a day of massages and spa treatment in the castle, which had started with a disagreement, since the owners had changed a few weeks before we booked, and they ran a website with different prices and I had booked under the premise of the lower prices. I spoke with Cheryl, and she did her best to get it sorted quickly. On the day of the massages she was very concerned that we got the best treatment and everything went smoothly, even when it wasn't her business, just located on the premises.

If you don't want to take the car, The Polish Place is only a few minutes down the road, and the Bavarian Grill House about 15 minutes walk into the opposite direction.

One of the minor setbacks is the car parking quite a walk away from the cottages. It is great not to smell exhaust or have car noise close by, but when it rains, and you’ve to bring luggage in or did some shopping, it can be a bit of a nuisance, but the service, the serenity, the wonderful fluffy bathrobes and having the opportunity for a wonderful treatment in the castle make up double for this.

All overall, apart from the weather, it was a relaxing stay, and with Cheryl as a host - I can truly recommend it. We will come back.

Room Tip: The Abbey is a bit quieter, since it is further removed from Main Western Road, and, I believe, a li...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 559Happytraveller
Thank you for your wonderful feed-back - always useful Just a few comments from our end though. Firstly, there are two stair-well lights for night trips downstairs in The Abbey. A torch is definately not necessary. The design for all of Lisson Grove's various Cottages was very well thought out.
Another point of interest is that a recent survey was put to our guests, for them to consider various options. One of the questions asked was if they would prefer breakfast in their cottages, ( as it is offered now ) or would they prefer to walk to our Restaurant. No one chose the Restaurant option, saying how wonderful it is to be able to relax, not have to change clothes & enjoy their breakfast at their leisure. For us, it is all about doing our utmost to provide the perfect escape for our guests. The answers to this survey were headed by our team. Where necessary, changes were made, but these were few, as most reflected that we are providing just what the doctor ordered.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Tamborine
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa
Escarpment Retreat
Escarpment Retreat
#1 of 2 in Mount Tamborine

Been to Lisson Grove? Share your experiences!