“Smelly stuff”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Tamborine
Brisbane
“Smelly stuff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

The cabins are nice enough to look at once you pass the construction site entry. Open fire was great! The water was green and smelly, so the spa bath was completely superfluous. Bathroom robes had obviously been put away while still slightly damp. The smell made them unwearable. Host was friendly and tried hard.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TrevorBNE

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brsibane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

I'm not a big online reviewer but I was really impressed by this place.
Mount Tambourine is just beautiful (only an hour away from Brisbane, yet it really feels like you have really escaped the city) and our cottage was the perfect place for us to explore from. Our accommodation was a private cottage - small but perfectly formed. Highlights were the cosy living room with the log fire and the most amazingly comfortable bed. We enjoyed plenty of good food and drink during our stay - a yummy cooked breakfast delivered to the cottage, a trip to the local winery for a great lunch (but that's another review) a glass of white in the last of the afternoon sun in the gorgeous gardens and then yet more wine in front of the fire to finish our lazy day! The next day we went for a long walk in the rain forest to try to make up for it! Despite our overindulgence we returned home feeling relaxed and revived. I put this down the fresh mountain air, the comfy bed and the amazing peace and quiet. The staff were friendly and gave us some great advice about where to go (they pointed us to the winery) but the service was not intrusive. It felt like we got away from it all for a week not a weekend.

3 Thank katharineshaw
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

I was in a bit of trouble with the Mrs and was looking for a romantic getaway to get me out of the dog house. Well not only did I find the best place ever, not only did I have one of the best weekends ever, but I got so much credit from the Mrs ... that the dog house has officially been destroyed.

We stayed in the Abbey, which has a kind of churchy theme. It was stunning. It was cold on Mt. Tamborine (middle of winter), so I made sure the fireplace was cranked up all weekend.

Breakfast in bed the next morning was very tasty, and delivered right on time. That's the way it should be ... brekkie in bed every morning ... we can all dream can't we?

We spent Friday and Saturday night there. Heaps of cool restaurants on Mt. Tamborine and the Mrs loved all the arty farty craft stuff that was everywhere up there.

I was lucky enough to get shown through the newest building at Lisson Grove which is "The Castle". It took my breath away, and I made a booking on the spot for a few months time. I will write a review after I have stayed in there, hopefully it is as good as my original stay at Lisson Grove.

I can't recommend this place enough, perfect to get the relationship back on track.

3 Thank daddymac6969
goldcoast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Friends of ours had stayed at Lisson Grove and had raved about it, so we chose to stay there for the most important holiday of a lifetime- our honeymoon. It was perfect, I can't tell you what was better: the hand delivered gourmet meals to our door; snuggling up in front of the fireplace with the complimentary Champagne; the gorgoeus decorated rooms in the cottage; the four poster bed overlooking the downstairs lounge room; the absolute privacy of the cottage and serenity of Tamborine; or the beautiful sunsets across from the cottages and the lovely walks around the area.
We have decided to come back again and again for our anniversary to stay in all the cottages.
Highly recommended for a special romantic getaway.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joandmax
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

My partner and I anticipated a wonderful, relaxing couple of days in this well reviewed B&B. We didn't get it. The staff were fairly accommodating in some respects but the unit was worse than substandard. For $400 +, I wouldn't expect to get no heating, broken lights, cobwebs and dreary furniture, but we certainly did. The bathroom added to our disappointment. Dirty floors, a chipped and stained bathroom sink, and heavy mineral scale on the showerhead and hot tub jets made us wonder about the cleanliness of the unit we chose. Unfortunately it was late when we arrived, and we didn't feel like searching for alternative accommodation. Resigned, we flopped into the sofa but it bowed in the middle and we sunk into it like sardines in a can. A laminated note under one of the cushions stated that the sofa 'was broken and was awaiting repair'. Sigh.
After starting a fire, I moved the chairs closer to the fireplace to try to warm us up. Couldn't help but chuckle at the belly up, comical looking big black beetles underneath the sofa, legs in the air. I felt their resentment for dying under dirty, broken furniture, devoid of any warmth or joy.
Thought I could salvage the evening with the 'complementary' Bubbly and chocolates.. whoops! Nothing is complementary. The promise of being 'pampered' with champagne and chocolates is a false one.
When we needed our towels and firewood replenished the next day, the towels came, but we were told to get the firewood ourselves.. service with a smile. The fireplace itself is difficult to manage since there are few implements provided and the ones that are, are bent or broken. Getting an evening shower provided a pleasant surprise when we discovered the defunct, greasy brown bathmat hanging behind the door. The toilet desperately needed to be bolted down and that's all I'll willingly discuss.
To top it off, we decided not to use the bathrobes provided since we thought they hadn't been washed in a while. The 'piping hot, two course breakfasts' consist of cold mushrooms and feta on toast with a small, store bought kid box of cereal.. -definitely didn't cheer us up in the morning. And of course, my girlfriend ended up with spider bites on her elbow and inside thigh after a night in the love nest.
If this was only one unit, what are the other ones like?
After discussing our problems with the unit with the owner, she offered us a gift certificate to stay for a free third day if we chose to book for two at a later date!

Anyone want a gift certificate for Lisson Grove?

Not recommended. Do yourself a favor and find alternative accommodation.

10 Thank Canuky
Ipswich, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

My husband and I travelled to Lisson Grove for our wedding and week-long honeymoon, and it was everything we could have dreamed.

Nick met us at the front, and took a personal hand in everything.

It was absolutely beautiful, and we would go back there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jadeelyon
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

My husband and I went for a weekend away at Lisson Grove, and we have to say that it is one of the best places that we have ever stayed. The cottages are absolutely gorgeous, surrounded by amazing gardens. We stayed in the Gamekeepers Lodge, and we really felt like we were the only ones on the mountain. The manager also showed us through one of the castles - undoubtedly the best acommodation I have ever seen! That will definately be our next choice! Fantastic breakfast, great service, utterly romantic. It's easy to see why this place has won honeymoon destination of the year so many times.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Pethers Rainforest Retreat
Pethers Rainforest Retreat
#1 of 6 in North Tamborine
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa

Been to Lisson Grove? Share your experiences!