“Great Staff, Convenient”

The Waverley International Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Glen Waverley
“Great Staff, Convenient”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I booked in this hotel as I was working in the area. Glen Waverley is a long way from the airport, the cab fare is close to $100 so keep that in mind. The hotel is nice, clean and in a location that's close to some good restaurants and other hotels. I was very impressed with the staff who were polite, friendly and went the extra mile. Overall a good place to stay if you are needing to be in this area.

Room Tip: I had a 'spa room' although the spa wasn't much more than a large bath with jets. Next t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I spent one night at the Waverley International Hotel and can recount the good, and not so good of that stay:

The Good:
The location is excellent for the area. It is convenient and has easy access to shops and restaurants.

Parking is available in an area inside the Waverley ‘compound’.

The flat-screen TV is large.

Laundry is available in the hotel and clothes can be sent out for dry-cleaning.

Refrigerator and iron are supplied in the room.

Internet access is included in the room charge.

The Not so Good:

My room, on the second floor, was quite noisy. I could hear people talking outside the room, traffic from the adjacent street, the refrigerator and the very loud bathroom fan.

Checkout is 10:00 AM, which is quite early, especially if you’ve arrived late in the day.

The air conditioner, also loud, blew directly on to the bed.

The room key turns the power on and off in the room. Good for conservation, but not so good when you are charging your phone/laptop while you are out. They don’t charge, as all the power is turned off.

All in all, with the use of my ear plugs, the stay was good.

Room Tip: A first floor room may be more quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jetalcott
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The Waverley International Hotel provided a decent night's accommodation for a night out for business. Not overly cheap at about $160 a night for an executive queen room, nonetheless compared to the surrounding options it was a fair bit lower on price. Most things were done quite well, while not being overly flash - possibly the dearer options nearby would offer a little more luxury.

In summary, the reception was quite good, rooms and hotel grounds in general were clean, while the room and fittings were also fairly modern, functional, and comfortable with plenty of room for one or two. There was plenty of parking available in the grounds. Fittings were a bit above basic without added luxuries, for example a Sharp flat-screen digital TV was provided with the standard Melbourne digital channels, but I didn't notice Foxtel being available (not that I actually checked for it). Free wifi was claimed to be available in each room, but the signal showed as so weak on my computer as to be useless. The website also claimed an in-room spa bath, but unless I overlooked it that did not exist, not that it worried me. Basic tea and coffee facilities, a bar fridge, a table and chairs, couch, etc were provided. Oddly there was no cupboard space to hang clothes.

Location was pretty good. There is an in-house restaurant, but the Glen Waverley shopping centre is just a few minutes' walk away with many decent eating establishments available, which is where we went for tea, so I can't comment on quality or price of food at the hotel itself. Breakfast is also available at the hotel, but is an extra cost rather than being included (from memory it was $15 for a basic continental breakfast in the restaurant, or available through room service by the item). As mentioned, the hotel is easy walking distance from Glen Waverley shopping centre, or you can drive and park for free at the shops (time restrictions apply). A train to the city is available at the shops, around a five minute walk from the hotel. It is also relatively convenient to the Monash Freeway which takes you to the city, airport, etc, being less than three kilometres from the Springvale Rd exit. My room on the Springvale Rd side of the hotel was a little noisy at night from road traffic, but not excessively so, and it didn't affect my sleep. Rooms on the Kingsway side would be quieter. Note that despite the address being given as Springvale Rd, the entrance itself is on Kingsway.

Overall there's probably not a lot outstanding about the Waverley International, but most things are done quite well and there's not really much to complain about either. Well worth considering.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Kingsway side would be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Boxing_Kangaroo
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed the night there with my husband. We love it! Good clean and beautiful room.
The staff were very good.. always friendly and happy to help.
The location is great; cinema , lots of restaurants and shopping centre are all within walking distance of the hotel.
Although we live in western melbourne, this hotel is an ideal get away for my husband and I.
Free parking is a plus . Great value. We would return again !!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jig P
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife was attending a conference nearby so she and my daughter chose The Waverley because we had happily stayed there before. I rang the night before to arrange a room and gave my credit card number. I specially asked if our daughter could have the room at 10AM, and that m wife would arrive separately at 11:30AM. I was assured that was allowable.

When daughter arrived at 10AM today she was refused entry. The room was not ready, and the night clerk did not process the credit card last night, only recorded the number. She had also failed to make note of daughters arrival time.

When my wife arrived at 11:30 she was not feeling well. When she asked why daughter was refused entry she was told it was against policy, check in time was 2:30, the room was not ready and the credit card was only recorded but not charged yet.

My wife tried to explain that arrangements had been made with the night clerk, but the day person, in a very condescending manner, cut her off, told her it was against policy, and just came across completely rude.

Once the room was paid for they went to the room and found it unsatisfactory and decided to get a room elsewhere. I have requested a refund (the girls spent about 30 seconds in the room, then had lunch and returned the key).

We will see if we get the refund, or if I have to ring the bank.

Meanwhile, if you pre book and have special requests, BE SURE to make us the receptionist makes notes, and then confirm them, if possible, in writing. Ys, everyone makes mistakes. Yes, the front desk was totally without compassion, concern or manners this morning, but everyone can have a bad day.

Otherwise this has been a great place to stay in the past.

Room Tip: Confirm booking and any special requests or requirements BEFORE arrival.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have lived in many motels and hotels in different countries, from $8 guest rooms in India/China to $700/night 7 stars resort in the sensational Maldives. The Waverley International Hotel is one that clicked to me the moment I checked in. The staff are welcoming and warm, the room is fresh and clean, the location is convenient and close to shops and restaurants, it's quiet and easy to access, I got my dry cleaning back on the same day. It's not luxury but provides everything I needed for a business trip. And I have been choosing this hotel every time I came to Melbourne since April. "Home is where your heart belongs", thanks to Waverley International for providing a small piece of home for me in this city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PanpanS
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Booked for friends when they visit Melbourne. The location of the hotel is perfect, it's close to everything! Reception staff were very helpful and friendly, I felt they were interested to talk to their guests, not just giving polite greetings. Room was cleaned everyday and always smells nice, housekeeping ladies were nice too. Free internet and parking was a big bonus.

Rooms on Kingsway are quieter than those on Springvale Road, but walls are very thin as the noise from room next door could sometimes be heard. Everything else was nice and pleasant. Would book again when other friends come to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Rooms on Kingsway are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pocky-mon
Wei X, Owner at The Waverley International Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear Pocky-mon,
Thank you for your warm words on our hotel and staff. We are so glad to hear that your friends had nice stay with us. As part of Melbourne, we are here hosting guests from all over the world.
And we love to talk!;)

Some renovation and soundproof works will start in about 1 months. We hope we can finish 10 rooms by end of this year. by then, I believe that our guests will have better exeperience during their stays.
We are your home away home. welcome back pocky-mom.
Have a lovely day.

#1 of 3 in Wantirna
Glen Inn
Glen Inn
#4 of 4 in Glen Waverley

Been to The Waverley International Hotel? Share your experiences!