“Star Gazing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Tekapo
Glacier Rock Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 11 Lake Tekapo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Lovely setting with great views over Lake Tekapo. Chris was very welcoming and made us very comfortable. Easy walking distance into town and various restaurants, but some of these may require prior booking to avoid dissapointment. Easy to 'star gaze' at night as very little street light glare. We sat out on our balcony and watched the night sky.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank killywhan

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We recently stayed for one night. Price confirmed on booking (made direct through guesthouse website) was $210. Website rates stated range of $200-250 for “Lake View” room and $170-195 for “Garden View” room. On checking in, we were disappointed to be shown to the “garden view” room – a slight misnomer, as the main “view” was of a washing line and the house behind – through an eye-level, slit window. While we wanted to raise this, Chris, the landlady, seemed rushed and not especially welcoming of feedback.

When asked what time we wanted breakfast served, I asked if around 9.30 would be OK, to which she replied, “Well, I like to get it all over and done with by 9.” This is not a lady who will bend and flex to make guests comfortable and I wonder why she even bothered to ask. When we arrived for breakfast, she told us there was some orange juice still in the jug from the previous guests. “If you really want some more, I suppose I can go and fill it up from the kitchen.” We didn’t dare ask – a far cry from the warm Kiwi welcome so typical of this country. Tasty though breakfast was, I wouldn’t have thought that a continental breakfast of bread, jam and cereal (and leftover orange juice) could have really taken so much effort for her to want to “get it all over with by 9.”

On checking out right on 10 a.m., I told Chris that the prices quoted on her website suggested that we would be in the lake view room, rather than the inferior garden view. She told me that I must have booked it through an agent, as the prices on her website were quite clear. I told her I made the booking direct, to which she said, “Well that’s the price and it always has been.” I told Chris that I did not have an issue with the $210 per se – rather that for that price, we assumed we would have the lake view room, in accordance with the prices set out on the website. She told me I was wrong. At that point, my partner pulled up the Glacier Rock Gallery website on his phone, with rates clearly showing a range of $200-250 for Lake View and $170-195 for Garden View. When I asked Chris if this was her website, she raised her voice and said, “Well yes, but nobody else has ever complained and this is the rate it’s always been: we only run this place part-time and haven’t got around to changing it.” I told her that in some countries she may be breaking the law: at the very least, this was misleading and disappointing. She offered to discount the bill to $195 “If that makes you feel better.” We paid the bill and left as soon as we could.

Later that day, I received an email from Chris’ husband, Colin. I had assumed it would be an apology for any confusion over the booking - Chris had mentioned to the other guests that sometimes her husband “was not too good at doing all the check in process” and she had to follow up after he had made a booking. To my surprise – and some distress – instead this was a threatening email. Colin alleged that we had “tried to bully” his wife and threatened us, “if you come anywhere near our property again I will not be responsible for my actions.” Again, he mentioned the $210 fee, missing the point that we did not have an issue with the quoted cost, more that it did not match what that cost would buy, according the to rates on their website.

2 days later I received a further email from Glacier Rock, telling us, “It was great to meet you” and asking us to submit reviews to Trip Advisor and newzealandbeds.

Although Chris told us this has “always been” the rate, we note that the Glacier Rock website has been updated in the week since our stay, with increased rates. It seems they have now “got around” to doing this - but only after guests pointed out the misleading information and dared to raise it with them, in very awkward circumstances.

Tekapo is a lovely place with many accommodation options – think carefully before choosing this one, and make sure that the price quoted on the booking confirmation matches the room offered you. If you feel like a slightly more leisurely start to the day on your holiday, it might also be an idea to pack your own cereal, so as not to cause the owners too much inconvenience to their part-time business. My money next time will be on the cabins right on the water’s edge on Lakeside Drive, close to Tekapo Springs Spa.

Room Tip: DON'T accept the Garden room for lake view prices!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Englishman_in_HK
colinmaclaren, Owner at Glacier Rock Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Chris apologised for the mistake made on our website.
The booking form clearly indentifies the room guests are staying in and our website clearly states that the Whero room has a garden view. The window is not a slit window but 1.6 m square. Guest in the Whero room have direct use of the Breakfast Room which has a spectacular view. Generally we serve breakfast between 7.30 and 9.0 am.
I was absent when the reviewer took exception to everything and approached my wife. When I returned I found my wife in tears and very upset. I directly emailed the reviewer and expressed my opinion of his behaviour.
Our lake view room rate is $250 per night and our garden view room is a smaller room and the rate is $ 210 but it has direct use of the breakfast room which has a spectacular view.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had booked a flight over Mount Cook in January so stayed at Glacier Rock Gallery for one night. The room and ensuite was a good size, the bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was good with homemade bread, jams and fresh fruit from the garden. The view from the dining room was spectacular and there was also a terrace where you could sit and enjoy the view. Chris, the host , was charming and gave us lots of information about the area. We were sorry to leave and would love to stay again if we went back to Tekapo.

Room Tip: There wasn't a fitness centre - we can't delete the rating!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ianandjoan52
Reviewed 16 January 2014

If you want to break your journey from Christchurch to Queenstown,
Lake Tekapo is a good choice. We stayed at the stylish bed and breakfast Glacier Rock Gallery and were made very welcome by the owner, Chris. The room is very comfortable and guests can use the dining room to relax. The views from the house are lovely and, for foreigners like us, Chris will give you useful insights into life in New Zealand.
She provides a good continental breakfast including homemade bread and local yoghurt and honey.
It is good to be have a chance to share someone's own home and get more local information than would be available in an hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobCScotinWales
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed one night in November, and were also treated to glorious weather! The room here was comfortable, even the fold out bed, and the view from the terrace beautiful. The location on a quiet street above the town ensures a good nights sleep and having a separate entry is handy for you and other guests so that late night coming and going (to and from the observatory) doesn't disturb others. Breakfast was lovely. Chris made sure we didn't miss the coffee and view from the Astro cafe on Mt John before heading off.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed for one night in Nov 2013,glorious weather in answer to an earlier review ! The design of the house is certainly different but our room was very comfortable and the views from the dining area and terrace are terrific.Chris and Colin are helpful and considerate hosts and the breakfast set us up for the day

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Chris and Colin are wonderful hosts...thanks for the porridge Colin! Very comfortable B&B with beautiful view of the lake and mountains. Great location for exploring mt cook and experiencing the dark sky reserve at mt john.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple