“excellent”

Ranked #3 of 10 Lake Tekapo B&B and Inns
Colchester, United Kingdom
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Our last B & B in NZ did not disappoint. Our room was lovely with luxurious ensuite. Very thoughtful touches cookies and chocs in the fridge. Good breakfast with spectacular views, both our hosts were welcoming and helpful. We wanted to do a helicopter trip of Mt Cooke Steve phoned for us to check availability - a trip not to be missed. Wished we had more than two nights thoroughly recommend. Short walk to the lake and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Excellent accommodation with a breakfast room view to die for and really friendly owners. No hesitation in recommending

• Stayed February 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Everyone said the good things; I am going to only mention the bad:

1. Our hosts were not that friendly. On arrival Steve just took my reservation paper from my hand - no smiles or greetings like "how are you?" no name, no title, etc. No greetings to my travel partner at all. The same when I departed.

2. Steve did not held the door open, he just stood there do nothing when I entered the gate of the house with my both hands full, I had to put my luggage on the ground then open the door. I believe it was quite rude. The same happened when I departed from this B&B.

3. Most view of the lake from the room was blocked by some ugly building top. Compare with other hotels or B&Bs, this one has the most distance to the lake.

4. To go to the bathroom, or to get water, you have to across the hall. This is quite annoy. The TV is very small (around 15 inch I guess) and not working.

5. There is no breakfast for us, so I have no comments.

6. Everything (wifi password, even milk) you have to ask. To ask you have to across to another side of the house. Read the booklet in the room, there are so many basic things you have to ask if you want to have it. I believe providing service is more important.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank Will H
reiveratsea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Very clean and friendly without being intrusive. What a great view over lake and mountains and to sit with that view at breakfast makes eating and talking almost an unnecessary intrusion except for the fact that the breakfast is great too!
Only issues are that it is a bit further from restaurants than we thought and we could have done with more pillows but that is being picky and we would have no hesitation in recommending others to feel happy about booking here.

• Stayed September 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband, son and I spent two wonderful nights at this beautiful B&B. Lovely, friendly hosts that were welcoming and comfortable to be with. Fantastic room, great ensuite, large bed that provided a great sleep along with the quiet surroundings. Stunning views of the lake while having a delicious breakfast including amazing home-made toast. Very close to town centre also. This is a place I would recommend and wouldn't hesitate to come and stay again. Martin, Angela and Luke - Christchurch

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Perth WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

I guess I'll mention the good things 1st - the room & bathroom were well equiped, elec blanket, heater, fridge, large bath etc. The breakfast was well cooked, nice china-wear & the house was clean & spacious & pretty. Only a short walk to town centre. Jinny was a little reserved but pleasnat enough once she came out of her shell. The side of Lake Tekapo on our way out of town was stunning. Incredible scenery once you left the town. The main disappointment for us was that the B&B did not seem to be as good as it looked on their web site, nor our hosts that friendly. There was a view of the lake (far away) from our Pegasus room but it was hidden mostly by ugly buildings. The bathroom was across the hall so you had to get dressed & leave the bedroom; not only that but it did not lock on the outside, so we felt uncomfortable about leaving any toiletries in it (eg expensive perfumes, & medicines/personal stuff) & had to cart them in & out every time. On our arrival when Steve met us at the door he just ticked us off on a peice of paper he had in his hand - no smiles or greetings like "how was your journey?" etc. I felt like a patient in a hospital & he a disinterested orderly. There were 5 cats & two of them sneaked in to our bedroom uninvited & sat on the bed on my jacket. Personally I did not mind (they were gorgeous cats) but I know if my friend who is highly allergic to cats had been there she would have freaked out. The little dog tried to get in too through the french windows from the garden. At breaky the milk was like water. In the hpouse the town noise was audible at night.The quality of food in the town's restaurants wasn't that good & the town itself was to us a bit tacky.

Room Tip: None of the rooms truly over looked the lake