Lake Tekapo Budget Accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Lake Tekapo
See available hotels
View Hotel
The Godley Hotel(Lake Tekapo)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Aorangi Motel(Fairlie)
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsclean towelsthe kitchenfree wifitoiletslakenz
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The staff were friendly, the place was clean and really cheap especially by Tekapo standards.
Towels and comfy beds as well as good showers, couldn't ask for more.
It was also warm during the freezing June temperatures! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

- Friendly staff
- In town centre
- Clean
- Small and boring kitchen, just enough equipement
- Free wifi
- Towel for use is good!
- Good beds
- Small hostel
- No extra stuff
- Stayed 1 night
- Won't be here again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night during my visit to Lake Tekapo and my friend and I were very pleased with the whole experience. To begin, the woman at the desk when we checked in was lovely. So kind and helpful. There is limited free wifi which she offered up right away and it was just enough to check emails and catch up on messages, with a bit to spare for browsing. After that, Internet costs a cheap fee. The dorm rooms were very clean and one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hostel! Best part, the beds didn't squeak! Mega bonus for ones who toss in their sleep. The toilets and showers were also clean with fresh towels every day. The common area and kitchen is small but very cosy and I enjoyed the intimate environment with the other friendly guests. They have a good selection of DVDs to borrow as well as regular TV channels. It's located right in the centre and although the hostel part has no views, it's easy to step outside and have the lake and domain just out the door. All for $25, this was the best bang-for-buck accommodation I've every had. Definitely recommend this place! Wish I could have stayed longer in Lake Tekapo. Such a beautiful area!

In short, stay here. Great staff, friendly strangers, clean and comfortable facilities and all at an unbeatable price!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

The location is the best you could ask for.
The private rooms in the "Hotel" area look nice from the outside so I understand all the great reviews.
The backpacker "dorm" area however is a house without windows. The kitchen is not extremely clean and poorly equipped (also no windows there).

However the beds were clean and totally ok. So it's overall it's ok but not more.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Spilario
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed here for one night (thank god!) over Easter weekend and could not wait to get out. No other rooms where available except for the Budget room so the two of us had no choice....for 85 dollars I would rather have stayed at the YHA...the room had no bathroom, was shared, which is fine but toilet is joined with showers so had to wait HALF HOUR until they became free and was then covered in dirty towel...EWWWW the room floor was disgusting and as seen photo there were old pills between the couch cushions which came out and floor was filth. Also walls are thin so could hair the TV room al night ...and this is not even the worst part. The bed was impossibly squeaky, im not talking a little noise every now and then but thought the bed above was joining to fall on me...the whole bed shakes and moves when even a little twitch and we woke up so many times I was thankful to leave at 7.30 the next day. NEVER again....and we had to park in a isolated car park away from the place where a car could easily be stolen and you have a dark walk back to the room ...really just not impressed. This should be made clear upfront and I would have stayed somewhere else . You have been warned...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Don Y, Owner at Lake Tekapo Budget Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

I regret that you did not enjoy your stay. Easter is certainly a very busy time in Lake Tekapo, requiring early reservations to secure the type of accommodation you require. I am confident that our website accurately describes the facilities that you reserved. The cost of the room reflects the option of selling 4 beds as dorms @ $25, or to 4 persons in a family group.
As a backpackers, with shared facilities, unfortunately the bathrooms are only as tidy as the previous user leaves them; I can assure you that they are very clean after we prepare them for the next guests.
The rooms are certainly not filthy; our conscientious cleaners would be distraught at your harsh criticism. The carpet may have some stains typical of a high use area, but they are all vacuumed daily, and shampooed and wet vacuumed regularly. I apologise for the “pills / sweets” found in the sofa, as we do not vacuum that daily. I will also increase the frequency of servicing the bed frames, as steel bunks do tend to loosen and therefore squeak over time. I will also amend our website to make it clear that as a backpackers, we have space for loading / unloading only, and that there are well used, safe parking facilities within 100 metres.