“It's an Abomination!!!”
Review of The Godley Hotel

The Godley Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Lake Tekapo
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Lake Tekapo is my favorite spot in New Zealand. How the Godley Hotel exists in such a lovely spot is an abomination! I've always stayed at the Last Tekapo Scenic Resort in Tekapo in the past. But, this time I decided to change it up a bit and stay at the Godley. I checked in and the reception staff asked if I would like to see the room, and I said, "no, I'm not picky. I'm sure it will be fine," That was a mistake I grabbed by bags and opened the door to the room.......ughhhhh! Disgusting. Musty smell, old, worn out carpet, a saggy looking bed, tiny room with creaking floors that I was afraid I was about to crash down through to the first floor. Bathroom was a complete mess with leaking faucets and missing tiles and just looked dirty all the way around. I just stood there for a moment dumbfounded. I thought, well, I'll make the best of it......another moment later after still just standing there, I said, no, no, no!, I can't make this work. I'm disgusted, disappointed, and will be so unhappy depressed! So, I put my bags back in the car and walked down to see if the Scenic Resort had a room....with it being the Queen's Birthday weekend, I doubted it. If they didn't, I was going to keep on driving. I told them of my dilemma and if they had I room, I would go back and cancel the Godley room. Luckily, I got their last room. I told them, I don't know why I decided to stay somewhere else that time, but was so happy they had a room. So, I walked back to the Godley, and apologized, but said I was just not happy at all. The reception staff was miffed, which I could understand, but I just couldn't stay there. Even if they had offered a room for free, I think my skin would be crawling all night and I would still have to pass. They seriously need to start from scratch with this place. It could certainly add to the splendor of Tekapo, but in it's current state, it simply detracts from the experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank India J

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The view and the heater is all that this room had going for it. For $145 I expected alot more. Bed linen was stained, rubbish under beds, tv was terrible, had to hold onto shower handle so it didn't stop, terrible curtains, and had a message on back of door to say we had to limit hot water usage.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Rocked up at 9am on Wednesday 14th after checking rates online. Was aware the room I was booking was dated and this was described on wotif that i'd be getting an older room. Lake Tekapo isn't a cheap place to stay, so I thought for $90 I got a pretty good deal. Stayed in room 306 overlooking the pool, had a queen bed and single, small tv, heater, kettle and shower/bath/toilet. Spacious rooms, and while yes the furnishings are dated I found the room to be clean, warm (electric blankets rock!) and just what I needed to crash for the day. Appreciated the gentlemen on reception giving me a 9am check-in early too, offered me breakfast and was friendly / easy to deal with (especially when I work for the opposition in Tekapo haha!). All staff i encountered were friendly, and had a pleasant stay. Would return here. I think some people need to understand that you get what you pay for in the Hotel Industry. I've paid $90 to stay in hostels where i've had my own room and had to walk down the hallway to shared showers/toilets. For the price I paid to have multiple beds and an ensuite I was happy. I'd hope to see them do a refurb in the coming years as they have an awesome location, a bit of paint and new carpets/linen and fixtures would bring this hotel into the 2000's however.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mpayne84
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Awful. Awful. The room was so outdated. I was totally mortified. But, at that hour of the night, we had no choice.
The bathroom was mouldy. The carpet was stained. The bed was so soft, my husband and I met in the middle and we had no choice but to snuggle.
The only upside was the view in the morning. But that was all nature.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cindie B
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The location was good but not a lot else. The room could have been cleaner and the bed was in need of a new mattress. The room also lacked proper curtains. On the plus side the staff were very helpful. Adequate for a night but wouldn't recommend it for any longer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank h_rossbow
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The location of this hotel is its saving grace. The rooms are a little shabby with saggy beds. Good walking distance to shops and restaurants and parking outside room. Easy walk to Church of Good Shepherd on the lake.

Room Tip: Ask to check out room before taking.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2014

spent a night at double room with view, great location, at the end of the tekapo township, there is a small supermarket "4square", I-sit and earth & sky tour booking desk is just next door, restaurant and bar is all next to the hotel. 10 min walking distance to church, 15 min walking distance to hot pool, Bus stop for Newmans, naked bus, kiwi experience is only 5 min walk. Tekapo lake just behind the hotel. However, for the price i paid, i will pick Lake Tekapo Scenic Resort instead. Here a bit run down

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 18 in Lake Tekapo
Lake Tekapo Holiday Homes
Lake Tekapo Holiday Homes
#5 of 18 in Lake Tekapo

Been to The Godley Hotel? Share your experiences!