“Friendly and comfortable”

Hallbarns Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Simonburn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here at short notice as the Pub we were booked in at Wark was closed when we got there. Margaret was very welcoming and the twin bedded room 2 with bathroon near by was very comfortable. Little extras such as bubble bath, shampoo and dressing gowns to hand. Excellent breakfast, convenient parking.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 353Thomas

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Several reviewers have remarked on the perhaps rather stern demeanor of the host, and although I can see where some of this is coming from, I found her easy to get along with and very attentive and entirely good-natured as long as her (completely reasonable) rules were followed. Her nice husband picked me up from town shortly after I got there, and when I got to the house, she showed me around and then made tea some tea and bread, introduced me to the other guests, and spent a little time visiting with us all.

The dinner that night was very filling--I felt so bad that I could not finish the portions that she had prepared, and hoped she did not feel it was an insult to her cooking! The room was comfortable and clean, and I had a large separate bathroom to myself.

The breakfast in the morning was very nice.

Her husband drove me back out to the point where I was beginning the hike, and made sure I got off in the right direction and was okay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2013

After we checked in I asked for the use of the iron and ironing board which was advertised as available in the booklet in the room.Afraid to say I was told the last person who had it burnt the carpet and was not keen to loan me it (why advertise it???)
Had evening meal booked in by trip organiser, didnt have a clue what it was no choice given, found it was something I dont eat.Host was not happy but replaced it with something else, if asked before could have told them and saved alot of hassle.
No milk was in the rooms so could not make any drinks, both of us too frightened to ask in case we upset host again as the expression is all you need to see to intimidate you( two grown men in 40 /50s).
Had a packed lunch the following day again no choices given so given something else I dont eat past caring by now just glad to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank nz828
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here on our way along Hadrian's Wall. We were given a lift to and from the B&B from Chollerford, Margaret was there waiting and ready for all our wet gear (luckily nothing more than boots!), tea and a cake and then a really nice home cooked evening meal. The room was spacious and all the little things have been thought about - bubble bath for a nice soak and cotton pads/buds! Breakfast was lovely - my boyfriend asked for a sausage sandwich and he was given 3 enormous sausages; Margaret was clearly concerned about how far we had to walk that day so made sure we were fully fuelled with a lovely packed lunch. Great B&B for walkers!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Weekendtrip100
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've been lucky enough to stay at Hallbarns with my family for a few years now. We drive up every year to run the famous local road race. Margaret is ALWAYS so incredibly welcoming and cooks the most fantastic breakfast ( often at odd times ) The local countryside is absolutely beautiful and fantastic for walking. Plenty of great places to eat and not far from Newcastle if you need to get to and from town.
I cannot sing their praises enough as its ALWAYS a joy to stay there... There's often some delicious cake on offer as well!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and 2 young kids for one night and we were really happy with everything. It's a beautiful old house, the rooms are huge yet cosy. Beds are really comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. We felt happy to let the kids sleep while we watched telly in the guest sitting room. Our host gave us tea and cake even though we didn't arrive until 9pm! Breakfast was lovely. Wish we could have stayed longer to explore the stunning countryside setting.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Tea, cake and then a lift to the nearest pub. Nothing is too much trouble a great place to stay. Comfortable beds and the most fantastic breakfast you'll see in a long time. If you are anywhere near this place make sure you choose it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Been to Hallbarns Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!