The Horse & Groom
The Goodwood Hotel(Chichester)
The Crown(Emsworth)
36 On the Quay(Emsworth)
View Hotel
All reviewsgood selection of real alescountry publarge car parkselection of beersgreat pubsunny beer gardenroom was largean overnight stayhopheadgoodwoodchichesterbeamsbarn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Horse and Groom for 3 nights. We found the publican, his wife and all of the staff to be absolutley great. They were warm, approachable and happy to assist a couple of Aussies who had never been to West Sussex before. We paid full price for our accommodation and meals and did not resort to try and "blackmail" our host into getting a cheaper deal in return for a good report on Tripadvisor as I suspect other people have. I don't even mind mentioning that my name is Ken Mahon. I would recommend this fine establishment for accommodation and/or a meal. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay and will return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KenMahon
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The pub is ok but to stay overnight the landlady is a total nightmare, unfriendly , aggressive, unhelpful and should not be in the hospitality business. Like the other reviewers I would recommend that you do not stay here ever in your life . There are plenty of other places nearby that you will find to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
19  Thank nicholas m
horseandgroomchef, Manager at The Horse & Groom, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Thank you for your review!!

We take our reviews very seriously.

I am sorry to hear that you wouldn't recommend our pub to anyone due to the landlady's attitude towards the general public.

I see that you posted 2 bad comments under different names?

“a terrible experience - the landlady is a nightmare”

“We were most disappointed and will never go back”

I will look into this review and add to the responce when I have looked into this complaint.

many thanks

Headchef

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is a really lovely character pub and serves good food at a sensible price. The bedrooms are ok. Comfortable bed, very basic bedroom indeed but it was nice and quiet and I slept very well. The young staff that served us in the dining room were friendly and helpful and the food was delicious.
If you need a bed for the night it's acceptable, no trimmings. I don't know exactly what you should expect to pay for accommodation in this area but I thought it was rather overpriced.
I would recommend this pub for food.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Thanks for your review

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, also that you enjoyed the food!

Reguarding the rooms: yes people do comment they are basic but they do have all the essentials.

I have researched the prices in the area for you, average price of accomadation in this area is £35.00 - £200.00 per night.

Thanks again

headchef

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Having read mixed reviews, we thought we would try the Horse & Groom for a meal on a Tuesday evening. The bar was fairly quiet, even though the place is famed for its real ale but had a good atmosphere. We had reserved a table but even this proved unnecessary, in spite of a group of about a dozen in the restaurant.

The eating area is very simple, with scrubbed wooden tables that give it a rustic look. In the absence of menus, diners are expected to select from a blackboard, which offered a wide choice (although several items were marked as unavailable). We ordered at the bar and collected a couple of glasses of “house” wine. The white was OK but the red was a mediocre Vin du Pays because we had not realised that a much better wine from Chile was available for just 30 pence more.

We enjoyed a Deep Fried Brie starter, which we shared. My wife chose King Prawns accompanied by vegetables and chips, whilst I opted for Duck. The portions were good but, of course, half a duck always looks large when served on the carcass. Both meals were OK, rather than “special” and neither were great value at around £16 and £17 respectively.

Most of the critical reviews on Tripadvisor seem to complain about the accommodation and landlady, so I was not surprised to see the place listed as 37th out of 45 B&Bs in the Chichester area. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be listed separately in the restaurant list. Having eaten at quite a few of the 59 restaurants currently listed, I would certainly not rate the Horse & Groom amongst the top 10. We think El Castizo and Hallidays are better and Cassons or the Richmond Arms look like good alternatives.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
horseandgroomchef, Manager at The Horse & Groom, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2011

Thank you for your resent comment about your visit to us on Tuesday 5th July.

To enlighten the viewers of this review:

FOOD

king prawns and half roast duck are 2 of the most expensive items on our menu. Our starter prices range from £3.95 up to £7.25 and our main courses range from £8.95 up to £19.95. Which gives our customers a wide variety of choice at a very varied and competitive price, Also we have a bar menu that is available for lunch & evening if you would like a cheaper and lighter meal.

I was disappointed to see that you would not rate the Horse & Groom amongst the top 10 as I can assure the viewers on average 98% of people who dine with us absoulutly love the food, Its just a great shame that "most people" only use review sites if they suffer a non satisfactory or bad experience.

Bar & Restaurant

Our bar and restaurant is set out to give the property its traditional feel, hence having a big blackboard with handwritten content. We are reluctant to change our style as it's a traditional pub with character.
The horse and groom is a 17th century pub, with flagstone floors, cast-iron cooking range, aged wooden tables and wood-panelled bar which provides a traditional public-house charm.

Reviewed 28 May 2011

Warm and friendly, local,character pub serving a good food and selection of very well kept ales. Rooms in annexe, basic but clean and comfortable 'hotel style' layout. Nice breakast friendly service, good value, midweek stop over with no complaints. Outside Chichester and near to Goodwood.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business