“Best meal out in a long time.”
Review of The Old Bear Inn

The Old Bear Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Staverton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had a party of 46! It was a colleagues retirement. The food, service and atmosphere were nothing short of fantastic. We all received our meals quickly and they were all hot! The new management certainly seem to be on the ball and all in all a lovely, lovely night.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

A somewhat scruffy group of us fresh from a week on the canal decided to use this pub for our evening meal. What a delightful place it is. Very busy at around 7.00pm on a Friday, so if you wish to eat you will probably need to book. The Landlord and his partner were very welcoming and soon had us all seated for what was to be an excellent meal. Prices are not perhaps the cheapest, but you get what you pay for and we were most certainly well looked after. This is also pub where you can happily just drink from a good range of cask beers, and if the weather is pleasant, sit outside in a neat drinking area. A pub well worth supporting.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We heard that The Old Bear was under new management so decided to give it a go. Being a Tuesday evening we didn't think it would be necessary to book but, luckily, made a phone call just in case. Tuesday night is steak night, they do a two for one offer and were very busy but were able to squeeze us in. On arrival we were made to feel very welcome by the friendly staff. We had a pint of St Austell's Tribute and and a Cabernet Sauvignon while we waited for our table, both were good. We decided to have olives and bread as an appetiser and were tempted by the steak night menu for mains. There is a choice of five or six different beef steaks, gammon and tuna on this menu, I chose a rib-eye (cooked medium) with a peppercorn sauce and my partner had the tuna.

The bread and olives were a little dull, a ramekin of what tasted like jarred olives in brine served with what appeared to be cook-at-home type bread rolls; uninspiring but at only £2.50 more than adequate to keep us going while waiting for our mains.

On the other hand the rib-eye was perfect! Cooked just as ordered, nicely charred on the outside and just about cooked through - tender and tasty. I had saute potatoes and salad with the steak, the potatoes tasted a bit 'kept warm' but were cheered up by the tasty sauce. My partner enjoyed her tuna but was a bit jealous of my steak and polished of the last of the sauce.

All in all an enjoyable mid-week pub dinner and we'll most probably return on another Tuesday with steak loving friends.

I found it a bit difficult to mark this pub against the trip advisor ratings of 3/5 for Average and 4/5 for Very Good - somewhere between I felt, but definitely better than the average pub food and service so I've gone for 4/5. There's a bit of room for improvement but just the fact that the staff so obviously care about the customers makes for a pleasant experience.

We also noticed live music and other events advertised in the pub so will consider these too.

On enquiry I found that the current owners have been here since about September 2013, so it's probably safe to disregard reviews dated prior to this.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The food was great, limited choice but that is better than lots and lots of mediocre choices, I would go again if in the area, staff were friendly but not in your face.

1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stopped in yesterday lunch time for a meal.The pub was very busy,which is always a good indication.The staff made you instantly feel welcome which is always a bonus in my eyes.Now lets get onto the food,it was one of the best home cooked meals my companions and I have had in a long time.Il give this pub 5 ***** for the quality of food,cleanliness,attention to detail,friendliness and over all happy experience.Thank you all at The Old Bear ,we will be back very soon.

2  Thank Sarah A