“Birthday meal”
Review of The Old Bear Inn

The Old Bear Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Old Bear Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Staverton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday meal”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Lamb shank tough. Salmon and Prawn Linguine definitely over cooked, prawns were shrivelled, Gordon Ramsey wouldn't have touched it! Barman was very friendly and deducted the cost of the lamb but it was a birthday meal so a bit a disappointment as we weren't,looking for a free meal, we just wanted a good meal. Unlikely to visit again.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food and great service”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We visited this pub near Bradford-on-Avon last week an a recommendation from a friend and it was just what a country pub should be - good selection of Ales and a really friendly couple who run it. Our family chose a Rib Eye steak , two pastas and a goats cheese salad. They all came out perfectly and the Steak in particular was cooked exactly as I had ordered it. We had puddings including a delicious home made cheesecake and an Eton Mess. The staff looked after us really well and even though it was our first visit they made us feel like long time regulars ! We will definitely return and recommend it highly if you are in the area.

1 Thank SimonD20
Bath, United Kingdom
“Steak night - fantastic!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having heard good reviews of the new management, we decided to investigate for ourselves.
The Old Bear does a 'two for the price of one' deal every Tuesday for their weekly steak night, so, being steak lovers, we thought we'd take full advantage.
When we arrived, we were made instantly welcome by the friendly and accommodating staff, who were helpful and chatty throughout the evening.
Our meal arrived quickly, despite the fact that the restaurant was almost full. The steaks were cooked to perfection, and the portions were more than generous. It's no wonder that this pub has such a good reputation for it's steak night! After our meals were cleared we indulged in desserts, which were equally pleasing! I would definitely recommend the chocolate brownie, it was clean plates all round for my family. Due to the steak night deal, the price of the meal, including a bottle of wine, was very reasonable, especially given the high quality of the food!
As I'm lucky enough to live locally to this lovely village pub, I shall certainly be back soon, and can see steak night becoming a regular evening out.

Holt, United Kingdom
“A big mistake - going back”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We first went to this pub, under it's new ownership, about 4/5 weeks ago. Service was friendly and the owner talked up their "flat iron steaks" so some of us ordered them. Whilst the others got the type of steak promised (about 1.5" thick and cooked as ordered),the only thing "flat" about mine was that it was less than .5" thick (cooked as ordered) but clealy an off cut!
I had a quiet talk with the owner, away from the table, telling him what had happened. His response was very good, he apologised and offered us all free desserts. I declined, saying that I wasn't looking for free anything but felt he should be aware of of what had happened.
Given his reasonable reaction I told him that we would be back.
Oh dear - what a huge mistake that was - last evening, 8 of us went back to celebrate my wife's birthday. Having made him aware that we were back some of us again ordered the "flat iron steaks" and reminded the waitress of my previous experience.
When thay came, one was again much smaller than the others but well cooked, another was good but my wife's steak and mine, whilst cooked as ordered were so tough as to be totally uneatable.
Without doubt the worst steak that I have ever tried to eat, in the UK!
After complaining to the waitress the "boy cook" came to the table, clearly unhappy about my very valid criticism of his culinary skills. The best he could offer was that maybe i should have chosen another type of steak!
In other words - "it's your fault for ordering something that I can't cook"!
The owner removed the two steaks from the bill but, too late, our evening was ruined.
If you're thinking of visiting - don't!

3 Thank Robert M
London, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had a couple of lunches here and it's been a friendly pub with good food, good beer, clean tidy village pub.