“Peace and joy”

and 1 more site!
Simply Saadani Camp
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I loved it here, everything about it! Where to start? I loved the setting, the white sands and the sea that was so close to the Banda. I loved the people; It felt like being a guest with the kindest of friends. Natalia was an amazing host.
I enjoyed the rustic bathroom where I felt I was having a shower in the bush. Have to confess that I didn't like the cold water so much but that's cos I'm a city softie and I wouldn't want to change it. I believe you can get hot water anyway, I probably just didn't run it long enough.
Meal times were a delight, the food and the charming service. Tino offers a different cocktail each evening; if you get the opportunity to sample a Tino-tastic don't turn it down!
The jeep safaris with Tizo we're wonderful. I don't know how he manages to drive so skillfully and at the same time spot everything there is to see, but he does. We saw tons of wildlife including lions by the watering hole.
If I had to pick a very favourite thing it would be the canoe rides with Christian along the mangroves. The bird life is amazing and Chris is so knowledgeable and relates it to African culture at the same time. A great educational opportunity and a sense of peace and harmony that I can't recall ever experiencing before.
I had to fight back the tears when it was time to leave - not entirely successfully.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter. Someone will escort you back to your Banda and Michael can teach you some Swa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Tent with a View - and what a view it is too.

This review is written on the understanding that this is not a luxury hotel, it is a Safari lodge in the wilds of Tanzania.

What was great:

Staff - Very friendly and helpful
Safari - With a very knowledgeable guide, who had the eyes of a hawk, and a laugh that shook Africa.
Food - A five course meal in the evening - one night actually on the beach, and eggs cooked to order in the morning.
Accommodation - the comfortable 'Bandas' or tents within a wooden frame raised off the ground so that they benefit from the cooling breeze, situated just a few metres from the sea.
Location - In the middle of nowhere - right next to the beach. Watching the Sun rise over the Indian Ocean was magical.

What was not so great:

Water - The water used in the showers and wash basins was brackish, and not drinkable. But it was plentiful and, not that I needed it, hot. Jugs of mineral water, that could have been cooler, for drinking were placed in the bandas and replenished twice a day.
Electricity - There were british type sockets in the rooms which could be used for charging phone or camera batteries, but there was insufficient capacity to allow hair dryers or tongs to be used. My wife had a bad hair day every day. Whilst this is part of the 'green' credentials of TwaV, (which I agree with) by only utilising solar power where possible, but perhaps consideration could be given to utilising a generator -if only for an hour a day. It of course also means that there was no A/C anywhere.
Security - The beach, and therefore access to the bandas is public. That said we never felt insecure as there were cheerful Masai Warriors and other guards on duty 24 hours a day.
Access - The walk from the bandas to the restaurant and back on the beach can be viewed as a very romantic and unique experience. But for those who may be less mobile, it could be a challenge, however help was always very close by.
Food - The food was great, and well presented by clearly enthusiastic chefs and waiters. But there was no choice of dishes, after all it was not as though there was a supermarket next door. This did not bother me, but I dare say that if a guest required something different then the staff would do their best to cater for them. Beer could have been a bit cheaper - but then it always can!

Would I stay again - Unequivocally Yes

Room Tip: The lower the number of the Banda allocated the closer it is to the restaurant.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ray1x1
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We had a wonderful stay here 2 years ago and have been dreaming about returning to this blissful beach/park combination. Our 3 day return visit over New Year beat all our expectations and I can't recommend this place more. The accommodation is in luxurious breezy tented accommodation raised on stilts just footsteps from the beautiful beach and sea and every night we were serenaded by wild jungle noises and the waves! Lovely staff and friendly service - everyone was so kind and helpful. Delicious food.

The management is outstanding. They have a very broad experience of Africa and the safari business and it was a pleasure to sit and chat with them at meal times. Everyone tries to make your stay as perfect as possible.

The safari activities are very varied and each night you can discuss the timetable for the next day. Our safari in the bush was fascinating, we were lucky to have as our guide David, the elephant conservation specialist, and we concentrated mainly on elephant spotting and tracking these beautiful giants through the park but also in the park we saw many warthogs, colobus monkeys, giraffes, zebras, buffalos, wildebeasts, baboons, many types of antelope and so many beautiful birds......... in one place we saw 7 species of animals together in one group, a very special experience in the wild. I'd particularly recommend the boat trip up the lovely Wami river with its many species of colourful birds lining its shore, thousands of flamingos wading in the estuary, crocodiles basking in the sun and an infinite number of hippos (we saw a hippo with her tiny baby) - in the boat you can get very close view and we even stopped to have lunch next to one group of hippos who were grunting and dipping while we ate. The lodge also offer foot safaris and from the camp there are walking trails in the coconut plantation and a canoe trip on the Mafui river. Since our previous visit they have built a viewing platform, called "The Roof", which gives spectacular views of the animals and an overnight stay can be arranged.

I think it's very important, when planning a holiday in a poorer country, to choose an organisation that is committed to putting something back into the community. A Tent with a View run many local charitable projects including the Mkwaja and Kisaki village doctors schemes and, committed to animal conservation, you can visit their wildlife research building on the camp where they carry out the elephant project which, among other activities, charts the daily movements of the significant elephant population in Saadani and aims to increase local village awareness and reduce illegal poaching in the area. A lion collaring project will be starting soon.

As I mentioned before, this was our second visit to Saadani and this time it was the second stop on a tailor made tour of Tanzania which Tent With a View organised for us. We like slightly offbeat trips which give us the chance to visit places which are not usually included in normal tours. This time Rama, who's based in the Dar es Salaam office, arranged for us a 3 stop beach hop (which included Saadani) up the Swahili coast followed by a few days walking in the Amani Nature Reserve in the Usumbara mountains and, as a finale, a stay in the Selous in Southern Tanzania. A trip of a lifetime:-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PearlW
Reviewed 22 January 2014

After spending 5 days in Zanzibar we headed to Tent with a View for a safari. This was our first safari experience and we loved it!

The Amazing!
1. Even before we came, the staff at the head office in Dar Es Salaam were very helpful. They contacted us to arrange the transfers to and from Saadani air strip, and even amended the dates of our stay (despite the booking being non-changeable / refundable according to Booking.com).
2. The place: it's incredible. It's on the beach but next to a national park, which must be a rare find.
3. The staff: They were all incredibly friendly. From the manager Natalia, to Basilisa the waitress, to Tino the menu-announcer, to Edward the Maasai security guard - they were all incredibly helpful and welcoming. It didn't really feel like staying in a hotel - more like visiting friends.
4. The safari: we went twice and saw elephants, giraffes, warthogs, lions, zebras, velvet monkeys, flamingos, hippos and crocodiles. It was AMAZING. I would really recommend the full day safari for the variety it offers and the guaranteed lunch with the hippos (read - lunch on a boat 3 meters away from the hippos). Saadani is a very new national park, and feels very quiet - we hardly came across any other visitors while we were there and it felt like a very intimate experience. Tizo and Christian were our guides and they were very fun to spend the day with. Because of the river, the park looked extremely lush and green - an absolute beauty.
5. The Tower: it's Tent with a View's mini-lodge in the middle of the bush (read elephants coming to scratch their backs on the wall at night). If we were to return, we would definitely stay there for a night.
6. The food: was simple but excellent. The chef was very accommodating (my husband is a vegetarian and he was extremely well catered for).

The good:
1. The bandas (huts) were comfortable and looked awesome. It was breezey, but our banda still got quite hot at night, and I would have loved a fan. Having said that - my husband slept right through the night, so maybe my Russian genes were just a bit out of place in Tanzania.
2. I loved the eco credentials with the water in the shower coming from a nearby well, solar powered electricity etc.

All in all - a wonderful stay and I would 100% recommend it as a place to visit, especially if you are also visiting Zanzibar which is only 15min flight away.

Room Tip: The higher the number of the banda, the further they are from the restaurant / bar / communal area...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Olga N
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed at Tent with a View in December 3013 and had the great experience of spending New Year's Eve there, truly memorable with a great bunch of people...fellow travellers and staff. To have the bush meet the sea is truly unique. You can walk along the beach and then just 30-40 yards away you may catch sight of a baboon, a monkey or a bush baby by day but there are other animals around at night. Go on safari with Dave and he will find you some elephants! I had a fabulous safari there where I saw 7 different mammals in the one acre which was very unique to witness.The river safari is not to be missed where you will see amazing birds including kingfishers, many hippos and some crocodiles. The staff are great, nothing is too much trouble and are so welcoming with their broad smiles Thanks to Tino, Bethlisa and of course Natalia to mention but a few who are always so warm and helpful. The food was exceptional with 5 courses each night. The bar and restaurant area is lovely to hang out at with spectacular views of the beach. The is a very special place named " the roof "where guests can book to stay for a night in the midst of the bush by a river, where the animals come to drink at the end of the day, including leopards, lions and elephants. The accomodation was fabulous with a lovely hammock on the balcony of the beautiful bandas looking onto the beach. What a treat to be lulled to sleep every night with the sound of the ocean and the lovely cooling breeze blowing through the room. This is a holiday that I will never forget and I was sad to leave Saadani and the people I met while there.

Room Tip: All of the bandas are beautiful with ocean views but I would also recommend a night at the "Roo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was a trip of a life time, accommodation, food, staff and experience was second to none.
Safari with Dave and Tara for an unforgettable experience.
The experience will net disappoint. Excellent 10/10.

Room Tip: You cant beat the honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nigel f
Reviewed 5 January 2014

we travelled to tanzania and stayed at sealous, saadani and the zanibari in October 2013 .wow
was holiday of a lifetime .pure paradise being at one with nature and seeing so many animals in there natural habitat . safaris were exciting and well organised .food was excellent and staff so friendly and helpful. such beautiful scenery as well. recommend relaxing at the zanibari to finish off a truly exciting wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Selous Game Reserve
Saadani River Lodge
Saadani River Lodge
#3 of 7 in Saadani National Park

Been to Simply Saadani Camp? Share your experiences!