“Really an experience!”

Takatuka Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 15 Sipalay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Despite the bad weather, the warmness of Cathy and Kalle makes the place worth a visit. Rooms are crazy and clean. I loved all despite Wifi, breakfast and hot water are not included in the price..consider that. Staff is very professional and educated.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank longobard

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wow what an amazing place! I went there on the recommendation of a good friend and I wasn't disappointed! This was a stop off on the way home from a european vacation and even though it was the rainy season I really enjoyed staying there. PS very good PADI dive centre and my instructors were great. I'm definitely coming back to go diving there! Thanks Cathy and Kalle, you have an awesome home :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Geeyouwhy
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This place had been recommended by several friends of mine who were so enthousiastic about it that I couldn't pass the opportunity to check that out by myself (and my wife). 1st impression when you check-in is that you are family, the owners, a Swiss (speaking French and german) lady and her German Hubby. They make you feel home at the 1st impression with their kindness. Then, you go to your bedroom and you are just blown away by the unique creativity of Art work and everything put in that to make this place soooooo soulfull. You feel instantly home, no kidding. Time to take like 100 pictures of all the details very unique of the room and go back to the bar/dining room where the atmosphere is as well homy, the music perfectly choosed, and take as well hundreds of pictures of the surroundings as it's something else, really something else in a wonderful way. Colors, atmosphere, you got it all. Then, time to check out the menu which is quite big, and guess what, Cathy, the owner is the Chef in the Kitchen. As a former Exec chef and Pastry Chef myself, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to food, and during this 4 days of stays, I tried as much as I can on the menu and everything was absolutely perfect, astonishing presentation and freshness, you can feel the Love. I almost complained that the serving were too big and we cannot have appetizer, entree and dessert, what a nice complain, right ? (Cannot believe that some people made comment about tiny portions....). Everything is made from scratch, and it shows. To digest, what about laying in the hammocs ? They provide for free beach towels, mattresses, the ocean is 1 mn away in front of you. We had not a good weather at all, but the scenery was spectacular anyway. The rates are cheap. The cleanliness is the standards of switzerland, probably the cleanest country in the World, I didn't see one bug or ant in our bedroom. And, Cherry on the cake, this was the World Cup of Football and every morning, everybody was cheering together for the game of the day. An unforgettable Honeymoon that I would recommend to anybody who wants to travel in a colourfull journey of well beeing, enjoying wonderful food (probably the best I had so far in Philippines). That what is Life about, the Epicurians will know :). So, thanks so much to Cathy and Kalle for the perfect Honeymoon that we were looking for. We will come back over and over, and over more !!! My wife told me that it's now our "nest" :)

Room Tip: Bongo Bongo is fronting the beach, very quiet, with everything you need inside, from air con to wate...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Elwood D
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It's been more than a week since my stay at Takatuka and I can hardly stop reminiscing about one of my best ever holidays. I was looking for an unspoiled and affordable beach destination to escape to during my break from work in the bustling capital of Manila and I couldn't have been happier that a couple of fortuitous twists of fate led me and my good friend to Takatuka. Negros Occidental is a beautiful and charming province but, unless diving is your thing, it is not exactly renown for its pristine beaches. After some diligent research online I learned about Sugar Beach in Sipalay and I must say that it was well worth the 6+ hour bus ride from Dumaguete. It's so far off the beaten path that you almost feel as if you have a whole island to yourself, yet the delightfully charming owners Kalle and Kathy have set up Takatuka in a way that you still have all the creature comforts. No small amount of passion and attention to detail went into every aspect of the resort, from the broad array of lounge and chill out options on the beach to the delightful games room to the surprisingly expansive and delicious menu. As I said in the review title, I can't recommend Takatuka highly enough! Thanks once more for an unforgettable stay, Kalle and Kathy. I'll surely find my way back there again and again. You guys rock!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GrnMngo
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This place has obviously had a lot of love and care put into the designs of the rooms, which you can see on most of the reviews here. And they are fun, and they have all the basics - clean rooms, friendly staff etc. But there's a few things that just annoyed me. We stayed in one of the most expensive rooms we've paid for in the whole 10 months of travelling so far. It was very big and we had a bed each, so that was nice, but it was already pushing us over budget. We then discover that if you want wifi you have to pay extra. And if you want the hot water to work you have to pay extra. And if you wan the air con to work you have to pay extra. Hmmmm. Not good value.

Also, after a few days the bright colours everywhere start to feel really unnatural; it felt like a relief to walk down the beach to some of the other resorts e.g. Driftwood is the total opposite of this place - all made of natural wood. In such a beautiful setting, I personally think this is more appropriate. Takatuka makes me think it must be run by a spoilt child who got a lot of her own way, and has projected this into making every detail of this resort reflect what SHE wants, not what the guests might want.

Also, the restaurant has TINY portions. The presentation is priority no 1, which is fun (as you would expect). The taste is OK, just average. But the feeling of still being hungry when you've just eaten an expensive meal is my lasting memory. I personally would avoid it and walk down the beach to Sulu Sunset where you get much better value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank LS6JAN
TakatukaLodge, Inhaber at Takatuka Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Takatuka Beach and Dive Resort offers the highest standard of all accommodations in Sipalay (flat screen TV with free movies, DVD player, air-conditioning, warm shower, hair dryer, mini bar, snack items, safety deposit box, umbrellas, foot shower, etc., etc.) at extremely reasonable rates. And, in order for guests of lower budget to afford to stay with us and experience our colorful resort, we have designed our rates on a modular scheme, where you only pay for what standard you use - the lower the electricity consumption, the lower the overnight rate. Sustainability is a huge priority with us and should not be criticized that way. Moreover, our rates are clearly displayed everywhere and guests are always informed of their choices upon booking or checking in. If to stay with us was already pushing you over budget, you should have chosen a resort matching your financial limits. Instead, you scapegoat Takatuka, name the owner a “SHE” and a “spoiled child” even though I can assure you that I am definitely masculine and proud of the little paradise I built. Furthermore, the countless positive reviews as well as the fact, that we host a huge amount of regular guests reassert that our resort is not only creatively playful but also focused 100% on comfort and functionality. To compare our high fitout standards with simple bamboo huts is inept.
Finally, please note that appetizers, crepes, potato side orders and ham & cheese toasties are merely snacks or starters and definitely don’t qualify as main dishes. Our menu features 45 different main dishes which are generally rated as “too copious” by our guests who then choose to skip starters and/or desserts. So please, if you don’t find your way through our big menu, just ask Cathy for assistance and we guarantee that you will be full.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

After 9 months of travel, we decided to treat ourselves with a little vacation and we could not have picked a better spot. We spent 8 nights in this place and loved every second of it! The owners have clearly put a lot of love, effort, thought and time into their guesthouse and it shows on every level. It is beautifully, surprisingly and playfully decorated, the operative word being ‘crazy’ in the best possible way  We were in the rockadelic room and it was a real treat! The bed was good, the bathroom was great (clean, new, beautifully and practically designed) and they really thought about what a traveler might need: lots of storage space and hooks to put your things, a tv with 20 free movies and dvd-player if you want more (they rent out), they even have a minibar and fridge in each room! We even had a little terrace of our own outside of our room: awesome! Their bar and restaurant follows on the same trend: thought has gone into every decorative detail: from the 'basket' in which they serve the condiments to even the ceiling, the restrooms and everything in between. The quality of their food is exceptional and wouldn't be out of place in any bistro in Europe. Their menu is divers, the recipes creative, the quantity is excellent and the presentation is as beautiful and playful as the rest of their guesthouse. We basically looked forward to feeling hungry so we could try something new... Or choose the same dishes over and over again since they were absolutely delicious :) Staff is professional and friendly and both the owners are excellent hosts and warmhearted people! Sugar Beach in itself is lovely. I actually read some bad reviews about the beach but I guess everything depends on your expectations. No, the sand is not pearlywhite. Yes, high tide throws some 'debris' onto the beach but it being a few coconuts and some twigs (and not trash for example) and just a result of the current and tide, this didn't bother me. What it is, is quiet and secluded and of all the resorts Taka Tuka has by far the nicest stretch of sand with hammocks and beachchairs to lounge about in. They even provide bodyboards and blow-up toys to use in the sea. After 8 months of travel in South-America and 9 in Asia, it is safe to say that Taka Tuka is high up there in our top 3 of best guesthouses we've stayed in so far. I would warmly recommend the beautiful drive (albeit long, but the scenery is stunning!) from Dumaguete (or Bacolod) to Taka Tuka, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this for the world.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Takatuka isn't easy to get to. From the Bacolod airport, you will have to take a 4 hour taxi (or bus, which would take longer) ride, then a quick banka ride. But you understand what the fuss is about when you get there, where you are welcomed by a stretch of unspoiled beach, and the calmest waters.

We spent 5 days just ordering from the restaurant, drinking beers, and staring into the water. They have a very extensive menu, so choose wisely as it was a hit and miss for me. The rooms were definitely fun and given a lot of care and attention. But most of all, the rooms were spotless! We were amazed at how clean the rooms were. Beddings were basic, but to be a honest, a thicker mattress would be nicer. :)

The owners, Cathy and Karl were very accommodating and kind, and quickly attended to all our needs. My only regret is that we didn't dive, as we have heard many good things about the marine life in Sipalay. If only it wasn't so far, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed at Mad Mix which wasn't beach front, but had a lovely balcony, and was quiet. If you w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaiMaiLim
TakatukaLodge, Inhaber at Takatuka Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

The comfort needs of guests vary extremely from one to the other, which makes it difficult to suite everyone a priori. Nonetheless, we spare no efforts to move heaven and earth to meet our guests’ individual convenience. Our housekeeping will immediately prepare an additional mattress for guests who affect sleeping on a softer bed…provided that our guests address the issue…

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sipalay
Nabulao Beach and Dive Resort
#2 of 5 in Sipalay
Easy Diving and Beach Resort
Punta Bulata Resort & Spa
Sugar Beach House rooms and restaurant - Sugar Beach, Sipalay

Been to Takatuka Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!